The days of casting and kayaking baits out are over

Started by ShoreKasterHI, July 27, 2015, 02:37:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShoreKasterHI

Not my video but seems this may be the future for shoreline fishing

floating doc

Guess it was only a matter of time until someone did this. I don't think it'll carry half of a 12 pound stingray or five pounds of barracuda head, though.
Central Florida

Tightlines667

No need for a specialized casting setup there (i.e. long rod, good freespool).  Just fish a 14/0 with holocore, and a fully rollered standup setup.  Heck why not skip the Ulua fishing and target pelagics from shore with live bait?
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Makule

That's part of my plan, but I first need to find a drone (and controller) that has enough range.  The ones I've seen can't go 400 yards and still maintain remote control.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Steve-O

Far out, man.

Dragon link with Fat shark goggles will get you out as far as you have line and batteries to get your bird back.

Makule

More recent models can go over a mile and, since there won't be any obstruction over water, it's getting closer to reality for me.  My 14/0 is spooled up and ready for that 200 lb ahi.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Tightlines667

Quote from: Makule on July 13, 2016, 02:14:17 AM
More recent models can go over a mile and, since there won't be any obstruction over water, it's getting closer to reality for me.  My 14/0 is spooled up and ready for that 200 lb ahi.

Entry model from Amazon is only $500.  $1k for something with a bit more payload capacity, and wind fighting abilities.
Hope springs eternal

oc1

I routinely have drones buzz me 3/4 mile from shore.

My speakers are broken and I can't hear the audio on the YouTube.  How did they release the line from the drone?  Clothes pin?

-steve

Steve-O

Quote from: oc1 on July 13, 2016, 09:20:21 AM

My speakers are broken and I can't hear the audio on the YouTube.  How did they release the line from the drone?  Clothes pin?

-steve

didn't say in the above video how the bait was deployed. Most likely a dedicated servo released it. Clothes pin drop is a risky option IMO. Too easy for it to self release prematurely on turbulence, wave and water drag, etc. They only talked about how cool it was to take a bait that far out to catch fish.

David Hall

Looks like it won't be long we will be fishing from our living rooms by remote control, deploying drones and using electric reels.

Gfish

Love ta kayak fish, but I don't have youthful stamina go out far enough for the offshore pelagics and still come back against them trade winds. Could ya deploy one a those drones from a yak, say a 1/2 mile out, with a 600 to 1000 yd. drop point? Bait don't have ta be more'n 6 oz.
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Makule

Some have a dedicated servo, but others just use a bent wire to hang a loop on to.  When it's at the desired distance, the tilt the drone and the line falls off.  Some videos on youtube on both systems.

Quote from: oc1 on July 13, 2016, 09:20:21 AM

-steve

fsrmn

I am using a L shaped piece of coat hanger pointed forward zip tied to the frame and just reverse the drone to let it slide off. I haven't had much time to practice. Trying to get a rabbit with a fishing weight  >:(  Too many challenges, too little time ;D Under water drones are right around the corner  http://www.cnn.com/2013/11/06/tech/innovation/underwater-drones/index.html
Not all fishing is done with rod and reel.

Tightlines667

I would use the same servo-activated release mechanism I have for the tow hook on my composite sailplane. It is fowl-proof.

Hope springs eternal

oc1

It seems like you wouldn't really need an underwater drone or quadcopter to haul bait out from a relatively calm beach.  Just a radio controlled boat.  Prices start at about a hundred bucks but the cheap ones don't have much corrosion resistance.  It would be trickier if there is surf and from the rocks you would need a lift net or something to retrieve it.
-steve