Spooling

Started by Cowbass, January 03, 2011, 10:12:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cowbass

I know my question is not repair related, but I value the opinion of this site so I'll ask... I'm gonna spool my avet jx raptor with hollow core Jerry brown. Would you spool with 60 and get great capacity or 80 for strength and sacrifice a little line??
I fish the north east and I'd say our adverage tuna is from 50-150 lbs.. Also the reel has up to 40lbs of drag, I kinda feel like 60 isn't enough if I need to lay on the drag.. Your thoughts appricated!!! Thanks
SHUT UP AND FISH!!!

alantani

i'd go 80# spectra straight to the top with a 3 foot topshot of fluoro.  with these shorter topshots, it is not necessary to go with the more expensive hollowcore. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Keta

I use 60lb hollow on my JX's.  60lb hollow is much cheeper than 80lb and not needed in a JX size reel.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Roger

Pametfisher on 360 Tuna has tested 60# JBH and it has a breaking strength of a little better than 90#'s. Spool it up with 60 and you have the best of both worlds.....
Roger

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."   Mark Twain

alantani

yeah, it's just that 80# is so nice to work with.  i hate having to splice 50 or 60, and tying bimini's in 50 or 60 is no fun either. it's such skinny stuff.  i'd rather use 80.  it's easier on the fingers.  either way is fine, though.  i was thinking for my next trip that i might try using those australian swivels. 

Roger

Quote from: alantani on January 04, 2011, 10:22:32 PM
yeah, it's just that 80# is so nice to work with.  i hate having to splice 50 or 60, and tying bimini's in 50 or 60 is no fun either. it's such skinny stuff.  i'd rather use 80.  it's easier on the fingers.  either way is fine, though.  i was thinking for my next trip that i might try using those australian swivels. 

Ahhhh come on Alan, with your eyesight and nimble fingers......
Roger

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."   Mark Twain

alantani

kids can't relate to this, but we remember the expression, "coke bottle bottom glasses!"

Roger

Ok, I'll cut ya a little slack...... ;D ;D ;D
Roger

Keta

Quote from: alantani on January 04, 2011, 10:22:32 PM
yeah, it's just that 80# is so nice to work with.  i hate having to splice 50 or 60
60lb is harder to get a splicing needle through.  I just got a spool of Power Pro 40lb  hollow to make 20lb topshots with.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

alantani

yeah, i tried to splice 60 with a needle and it took forever.  i finally used a small wire to "open" up the hollow core spectra, then bulletted the end of the flourocarbon and pushed that through all by itself.  that took forever as well. 

Keta

I have 2 splicing needle sets, the better set came with small loop puller and hollow needles for mono down to 20lb.

Mark Twain

alantani

i use the hollow needles to push through the spectra and open it up, then push the fluorocarbon through all by itself. 

Keta

On light mono the hollow needles help.

Mark Twain

Cowbass

Just a follow up thanks for your opinions... I ended up going with the 60 hollow tufline indicator line.

I know you are only supposed to do it with white line but are you guys chemically bonding the fluor once it's inserted Chinese finger cuff style?
SHUT UP AND FISH!!!

Bryan Young

There is no chemical bonding that will hold the spliced top shot.  The glue is to hold down the ends and the serving from unraveling.

The reason why JB and Blackwater and now Power Pro lines are used is because they are 16 strand versus the normal 12 strand.  They are more expensive, but they hold the top-shot better.

I could not find any info on Tuf Line hollow though.  If it's 12 strand it's still works well, but I will probably inserting the top shot an additional 30% more distance into the hollow just in case of additional slippage due to 12 strand versus 16 strand.  No scientific data on this, it's just what I would probably do.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D