SX 5.0:1 Free Spool Issue

Started by Nick20722, July 31, 2015, 12:35:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick20722

Today I tore down and cleaned my SX 5.0:1.  I regreased the gears and the clicker and put it back together but it seems I've lost the capability to free spool.  The lever clicks into all the positions it should but in free the spool will only still spin one way, even with the tension knob backed off.  I'm thinking maybe its the brake bearing (#20) but not sure.  Any ideas? 

Thanks

Nick

http://www.avetreels.net/uploads/SX5-1.pdf

RTT

Hello Nick

The 5.0 is an older design that has tow dawgs. If there is too much grease on the dawgs they will not move correctly and cause you problem.

This is a good place to start.

Good luck,
Ray

Nick20722

Thanks Ray.  Are you talking about pieces 25-28 on the schematic? 

RTT

Yes, key 25 Thursday 28.

Key 27 are the dog or dawg.  If too much grease build up behind them the don't more or move well and will cause problems.  I had a 5.0 and used oil in this area. 

Ray

Nick20722

Hey Ray.

Just tore apart the dawgs.  I hadn't done that when I cleaned it up.  There was a lot of grease in them and I cleaned it out and oiled them.  Putting it back together, I notice that the cog on #23 drive shaft is what contacts the pawgs.  Before putting the reel back together, just putting the drive shaft back in the reel, it will still only turn one way (clockwise).  The pawgs keep the drive shaft from coming back counterclockwise.  But there's only one way for the pawgs to go in - so it has to be right.

I think I don't fully understand the function of the reel quite yet - when you pull the lever into free spool, what should happen so that the handle mechanism is disengaged?

Thanks

Nick

RTT

Nick

That sound right.  The reel free spools when the disk brake key 18 is not in contact with the drag washer or brake pad key 12.  This happens when the level drag is in free.  When in strike or full the the disk is in contact with the drag and you retrieve line.   I am sure you can google how a avet works and get something more information. 

Ray

Bryan Young

If you are loosing freespool, the pressure plate is probably contacting the drag washer. 

First thing I would check is the pinion gear seated well in the pressure plate and the pinion bearing (18, 19, 20)?
is the pressure plate spring (15) installed in the correct position?
Is the shaft seated well in the frame (1, 4)?
When installing the lever, is the lever in free spool position (29, 36)?
Did the main cam slip from position in the lever (34, 36)?

I hope this helps.

Note that terminology may differ, so look at the names of the parts identified above. :D
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Nick20722

Thanks for the replies.  Bryan I think you're correct in your assessment, the brake disk is riding the drag.  I'm missing one #16 washer that could provide the spacing needed (I imagine) for the extra clearance for the brake disk.  I will have to get another one of those and see if it fixes the problem.