Rod Case

Started by Bill B, August 10, 2015, 04:38:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill B

I have been regularly flying on an airline that might be the opposite of "Northeast" airlines from NorCal to SoCal and have been dragging my poles back and forth...so after checking the baggage policy I notice there is a max length of 62"....so I put together a rod case of 4" drainage tubing, end caps, a little foam padding and have gotten away with checking them as 1 piece of luggage...your mileage might be different but I can argue these as 1 piece given they are attached and have one handle....btw I used silicone caulking to "glue" them together, and taking a lesson from Malestrom braided the handle and used 2" electrical tape as banding and cable ties to lock the end caps....ohhh expect TSA to open the tubes 'cause they might look suspicious ;D....Bill

It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Alto Mare

Very good tip Bill, those would take lots of abuse. I'm not sure how you're sealing the end caps, since they need to inspect, I would recommend a threaded cap.
Thanks for sharing your ideas.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bill B

Sal, I threaded a long cable tie through the holes in the end cap and TSA cuts the ties if needed and replaces the tie with their own....last trip they only open one tube....
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!