Once in a While

Started by theswimmer, August 11, 2015, 01:17:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

theswimmer

I have fished the Sierra Nevada for over 50 years.
I have targeted German Browns for a majority of that time.
Tough fishing.

Saturday , noon, biggest Natural German Brown of my life, on 4 lb test.
15-20 min fight that felt like a hour!
I did not start filming until we were done,.

Ended up 19-20 inches, released to grow up!

There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

theswimmer

Thanks Alan!
Absolutely Stellar Day!
We need to get you up here ;D
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

redsetta

Nice fish!
Our NZ Rainbows are originally from your home waters, though our Browns were British stock via Tasmania - all done back in the 19th Century.
Thanks for sharing.
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Shark Hunter

Great Job on that Brown Swimmer! Thanks for taking us along.
Life is Good!

Reel 224

Great catch,I can see why you were pumped. What makes it a greater experience is the fact that you were sportsman enough to release that wonderful fish.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

El Pescador

theswimmer!

Where are you?  Location looks to be lower elevation, below 3,000' if I were to guess!

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

theswimmer

Hey Wayne,
About 9000 feet,no standing trees in the stream bed as it floods during spring runnoff.
That water is about 38-40 degrees F.

Errol Flynn

theswimmer

And just about as far as you can go into the Sierra's with a vehicle.

Errol Flynn

Alto Mare

Nicely done... great job!
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

foakes

Hey Jon --

That looks like one of the feeders into Edison (Mono Creek) -- or below, if the altitude is off a bit?

Or the South fork of the San Joaquin around Florence -- not high enough, though.

But if you are driving there to 9000' -- around Edison maybe?

Don't think Courtright has much flowing into it right now.

Not many places to drive to in this fourth year of drought that would hold Native Browns with water flowing.

Nice catch -- nice release.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

broadway

Son of a Biscuit... that's a nice fish you caught, swimming in some bath tub-clear water.
Nice job,
Dom

theswimmer

Thanks everyone for the nice reply's.
I don't even touch trout if I plan on releasing them. I know that a fish that size in that water is probably 7-8 years old at least .
The big charge for me is a gentle release and hope I get to see him again someday.
Maybe he will be a 24 incher then!

Errol Flynn

theswimmer

Quote from: redsetta on August 11, 2015, 03:27:10 AM
Nice fish!
Our NZ Rainbows are originally from your home waters, though our Browns were British stock via Tasmania - all done back in the 19th Century.
Thanks for sharing.

Redsetta Your country is on the list!
No longer planted by the state in California,
German Brown trout, originally from Europe, North Africa, the Middle East, and parts of Asia, were introduced into California in 1893.
I would love to catch a Rainbow in NZ.

Here is a cool article about Browns.

http://www.auburnjournal.com/article/rainbow-german-brown-trout-can-get-trophy-big-lake-almanor

Errol Flynn

Bryan Young

Beautiful.  Look at that water...so clear.

I think you need an under water camera...that was the swimmer of a trout.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D