Few questions before I order parts, 115

Started by Sharkin904, August 23, 2015, 03:47:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sharkin904

First off, thanks to you all for this website..it really is a gold mine for a guy like me. I recently picked myself up a 9/0, from what I can tell from reading up, its from the 50's. It needs drags for sure, but most everything I see is 114, 114H, 114HL, 114HLW, 115L. I know the L is lightweight, but will the drag washer set still work for me? Sorry if this is am obvious question, Just don't want to order the wrong parts. Also, as far as gears/sleeves go, aren't the pretty much the same as a 114? Thanks in advance!

Keta

Quote from: Sharkin904 on August 23, 2015, 03:47:53 PM
Sorry if this is am obvious question, Just don't want to order the wrong parts. Also, as far as gears/sleeves go, aren't the pretty much the same as a 114? Thanks in advance!

The 115 uses the same drag stack, 98-114 gearsleeve and 13-114 main gear as the 114 but uses the 5-115 pinion gear.

Don't worry about your questions. We have members with a wide range of experience and even the best of us had to learn sometime. And we are still learning.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Sharkin904

Thanks! Yea, I've been lurking on here for awhile. I'm amazed at the knowledge on this site, and the reels some of you all have/make are seriously impressive.

Black Pearl

If you are looking for stainless steel gear set for the 9/0, you can check it out the following link on my products.

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=9076.0

Sharkin904

Nice!! I'll be placing my order within the next day or so. Thanks Black Pearl

Sharkin904

So from what I just read, the HEX gear, produces alot more drag, but you gave to cut the washers, correct? I assume I could just cut the ones I have ordered fro Scott's. I work in a bodyshop and have plenty of air tools, so in my head this seems like something I could handle.

Black Pearl

Quote from: Sharkin904 on August 23, 2015, 04:30:14 PM
So from what I just read, the HEX gear, produces alot more drag, but you gave to cut the washers, correct? I assume I could just cut the ones I have ordered fro Scott's. I work in a bodyshop and have plenty of air tools, so in my head this seems like something I could handle.

The hex gear will require a 1.0mm carbon fiber material. To me, the hex is overkill. It is mostly for those hot rod reel nuts likes Sal or Daron. I will stay will the original.

Three se7ens

Quote from: Sharkin904 on August 23, 2015, 04:30:14 PM

Im doing another run of my drag kits for the 114H/115 in a couple of weeks.  Its a straight drop in to standard style gears, and fits either original Penn or Black Pearls gears.  More info here:  http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=13341.0

Sharkin904

lol, Thanks for the advice. Standard it is, and Three Se7ens, I'll deff keep an eye out

Shark Hunter

Nick,
If you are going Black Pearl gears. Go Conventional with one of Adams inserts and a stainless sleeve.
The inserts from Adam are one of the best upgrades there is for that 9/0. The double dogging is optional.

Life is Good!

Sharkin904

Daron, what are the benefits of the double dogs? I keep seeing people do them, just unclear as to why. But the BP gear is in the plans, as well as adams inserts with a SS sleeve. If I can get my hands on one of Tom's frames...all I need is a handle and this thing will be a monster! 

alantani

i have a handle that will work! send a pm if i can tempt you with one!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Shark Hunter

Quote from: Sharkin904 on August 23, 2015, 09:54:38 PM
Daron, what are the benefits of the double dogs? I keep seeing people do them, just unclear as to why. But the BP gear is in the plans, as well as adams inserts with a SS sleeve. If I can get my hands on one of Tom's frames...all I need is a handle and this thing will be a monster! 
It makes the reel stronger. You have double the anti reverse power and less handle slop.
It is not a necessity, but it replaces the brass dog with stainless.
Sal pioneered this and it is just something we do. ;)
Life is Good!

Rancanfish

I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Black Pearl