What is your take on Canyon Reels

Started by BucYouUp68, January 10, 2011, 06:44:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BucYouUp68

All in all they seem to be a good reel, have you broke one of these down yet Alan?

http://www.canyonreels.com/

Bryan Young

He has.  He had a blue one over the other week.  There was a conversation on BloodyDecks or 360Tuna I think about the reel.  I think it was a blue 2-speed jigging reel.  As I recall, it used large, standard 1/4" id bearings, like the ones you find on skateboards.

Look good and strong.  Unfortunately, I forgot to measure the drag pressure at max and different stages of the drag setting before he shiped back the reel.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

there is one in line.  i saw one already, and feel very comfortable giving it a "buy" rating. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

BucYouUp68

Thanks Alan, Nifty site you have here.  Thanks for setting it up.  How have you been?  I am in Florida now, swing by for a beer if your in my neck of the woods.  I will take you Grouper fishing

alantani

you know, i'd like that.  i could dump the wife and kids off at disneyworld and go fishing!  let's see if i get a hall pass from my wife for that one!

BucYouUp68

Catch and release only as we just went into our closer.  But Tarpon is coming in the spring, and plenty of other variety's to fish for here.  Let me know.  I have a 24' Sea Pro WA, and just waiting for those tarpon to show again, and the Weather to heat up.

Roger

Quote from: alantani on January 10, 2011, 08:57:18 PM
there is one in line.  i saw one already, and feel very comfortable giving it a "buy" rating. 

That comment there just doubled the price of the reel.........
Roger

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."   Mark Twain

alantani

i had a long conversation with the owner.  he seems genuinely concerned about the longevity of the reel.  the good thing is that he has actual control over the assembly because the reels are assembled here, not overseas.  that is where many of these imports fall short.  the design is fine, it's the assembly and lack of proper lubrication that causes premature failure.  a small two speed was shipped to me and is in line.  i doubt that i will be disappointed.  alan

alantani

chris, fishing has got to be better there than here.   :(

BucYouUp68

Quote from: alantani on January 11, 2011, 01:03:23 AM
chris, fishing has got to be better there than here.   :(

It is a whole different world out here, still trying to figure it all out.  The Fishing is Outstanding, the catching part is improving.  Nobody Shares info here, makes it a bit more challenging, kind of like the old days.

On the Reel, i was reading about them on another Forum.  They are being compared to Avets, the owner stated that some of the parts are bought at Home Depot.  ::)

amarcafina

A friend of mine just bought one of the 15 single speeds . He has not got a chance to try it out yet, and I'm already liking it from what he tells me ,

Roger

Quote from: amarcafina on January 11, 2011, 09:50:51 PM
A friend of mine just bought one of the 15 single speeds . He has not got a chance to try it out yet, and I'm already liking it from what he tells me ,

I've been thinking about getting one of the HS-15's. Let us know how it works out...... I don't really care for that 6:1 ratio but in shallow water it might be ok.
Roger

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."   Mark Twain

jlw1972

Quote from: amarcafina on January 11, 2011, 09:50:51 PM

I sold the HS-15 that amarcafina is speaking of bout two months ago. Caught a lot of fish on it and to this day still don't have the first complaint. That little reel was TOUGH!! I sold to upgrade to the HS-18 two speed. It seems to be a nice reel but I need more fishing time with it to make my final decision. I wish the reel had a little more drag than what I'm getting from it. Only around 20lbs. I plan to give Don a call to see what he recommends. I have spoken to him several times on the phone and I feel like he would stand behind his product if there was a problem.

I've bought 2 from him and if he builds another one that I like I would buy from him again. Seems to be a good quality reel. So far.....

Joey

alantani

i thought it would be nice to move this discussion back in time a couple of days.  we seem to have gotten off on the wrong foot.  gentlemen, i hope you will all be understanding in this matter.

redsetta

Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer