Monofil 25 & 26

Started by TommyK, October 09, 2015, 03:12:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TommyK

Morning all. Recently purchased 2 Monofils. A grey 25 & green 26. I plan to upgrade to the 13-200 pinion on both as well as replace the drags. I also plan to narrow the 25. If I've read correctly I'll need a 29L-100 spool for this. What post/seat options do I have other than a tib frame? Newell 220 posts/reel seat? Also what size drag washers would I need?

Rancanfish

Well, I know it uses (3) 6-155 drag washers.

The other info will come up soon I'm sure.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

bluefish69

Tommy

What color Gray Monofil 25 did you get light Gray or Dark Gray? I'm looking for the Dark Gray one. I'm finishing the Light Gray one today, it will be a shelf reel with its cousins.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Shark Hunter

30-49 stand and 37-180 frame posts. You can get stainless ones on ebay. Or you can go with Black Pearl's spacer bars.
Life is Good!

Aiala

They turn out great w/a Tiburon frame:   :)

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

bluefish69

I want to keep the Green Reel the way the factory made it. I bought it new in the '60's. The same way I did the Lite Gray on today.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

SoCalAngler

I have a Monofil 27 that came with steel gears. You can also use a stand number 30-180. Scott's has post and stands to narrow your 25 to a 27 but I don't think they have spools. My 27 came with a Newell aluminum spool but I also have a Newell G220F that has a graphite spool and I may swap them.

Here is my 27, it is maroon in color but these pics were taken indoors at night.

As you can also see I swapped out the stock handle.

TommyK

Mike  it's the light grey. I do plan to keep the green reel factory width just upgrade the pinion drag & possibly SS gear sleeve if they're still available

Aiala the silver tib frame would also look great on the grey as I've seen on another thread here

Shark hunter & SoCalAngler. Thanks for the info on the posts. So if I have a Newell 220 I can use the spool, posts, & seat?

foakes

That is a beautiful green 25 mono with that Tib frame and aluminum spool, Aiala --

Post Office sez your little 146 Jr. will arrive today -- if it did not come a day earlier yesterday -- let me know how you like it.

These little Bantamweight Penns are tough to beat either stock -- or just with a few key upgrades -- frame, drags, UG Delrin, spool, handle, clamp.

Of course, you can't buy a greenie cheap -- but as a rule the Monos, 180s, SMs, & JMs are usually cheap at yard sales -- then you will spend anywhere from $15 to $85 for the upgrades -- and you have a lifetime tough and capable little workhorse.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

SoCalAngler

Quote from: TommyK on October 10, 2015, 12:30:53 PM
Mike  it's the light grey. I do plan to keep the green reel factory width just upgrade the pinion drag & possibly SS gear sleeve if they're still available

Aiala the silver tib frame would also look great on the grey as I've seen on another thread here

Shark hunter & SoCalAngler. Thanks for the info on the posts. So if I have a Newell 220 I can use the spool, posts, & seat?

The Neweel 220 bars and seat are the same length as the Monofil 27 posts and seat length but I have not tried swapping the Penn posts with the Newell bars or reel seat. I'm not sure the screw holes line up correctly on the two.

If you have a Newell 220 I would not take any parts off it for a Monofil no matter what color. The 220's IMO are better, stronger and offer more drag. If your going to fish a reel in that size I'd choose the 220 especially if it has 5:1 gears.

For me I don't need a frame or bars for strength to fish 20 lb test or lighter on the Momofil's, but they do look alright. With their little drags you could bump it up to 25 lb test but that's kind of pushing these reels. Now the 220 you could fish up to 40 lb test but 30 lb and lower is where I like to fish my reel.

Edit: I just tried swapping the spools between the Monofil and the 220 and they are NOT able to swap. The Penn is spool is taller/wider from spool edge to edge.

TommyK

Thanks SoCal. Yes no doubt the 220 is a better reel in just about every aspect. It was more of a curiosity question than anything else. So the 29L-100 is the proper spool to narrow this reel correct?

Aiala

Quote from: foakes on October 10, 2015, 03:50:44 PM
That is a beautiful green 25 mono with that Tib frame and aluminum spool, Aiala -- Post Office sez your little 146 Jr. will arrive today -- if it did not come a day earlier yesterday -- let me know how you like it. Best, Fred

Fred, the 146 arrived safely, and WOW is it a beautiful little gem! I cannot thank you enough for fixing it. (Folks, Fred is a miracle worker!!  :o )

You know I am not a shelfie person, but I may just keep this Squidder in pristine condition... after all the work you did to save it, I can't bear the thought of it getting banged up. 

But I am planning to take that 25 greenie with me on my 5-day... I'll fill it with 20 lb, and try for a tuna or maybe a dodo.   :D

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Rancanfish

Aiala, now I want to hear the 'inside' story of 'The Miracle on Fred's Street'!   ;D
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

SoCalAngler

Quote from: TommyK on October 11, 2015, 01:02:01 PM
Thanks SoCal. Yes no doubt the 220 is a better reel in just about every aspect. It was more of a curiosity question than anything else. So the 29L-100 is the proper spool to narrow this reel correct?

Yes Tommy the 29L-100 is a chrome over brass spool that fits the the Monofil reels.

Guy's and Gal's lets stay on track this thread is about Monofil's. If you want to talk about other reels that's great and I like to see them also but start another thread.

Alto Mare

Mark, I just want to mention that the 29L-100 is an aluminum spool.
29L-  aluminum
29M- chromed  bronze
29P-  plastic

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.