The First Penn Take Apart Reel

Started by Oceanreels, October 16, 2015, 12:12:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oceanreels

Thought you may want to see the first Penn Take Apart Reel. It's not a Squidder, but it is the one that started the Take Apart reels. 1934 Penn Coronado.

Brian Purrone  Member ORCA
http://myfishingreels.weebly.com/

Penn Chronology

Sure is a nice collectible. The box makes it doubly nice.

Brian,

You should post this in the antiques and collectible section. It will be easier for everyone to find there. IMHO

Superhook

Brian,

Your Coronado is one of the earliest 1934 reels with the extra screw heads showing in the head plate.  I can remember the first time seeing this and thinking the screws went into the posts so how could it be a take apart.  We know Penn changed it quickly to the improved system they used for the remaining years of Coronado reels and their other different models of the future.

For anyone wondering the same thing , The screws are short and go through the head plate and finish flush with the dress ring attaching it to the head plate where as the later Coronado reels had the dress ring pinned to the head plate. Both early and later versions have the extended pins that lock and twist into the frame.

The box is Killer.

Ray

coastal_dan

Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

handi2

OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

broadway

That's a sweet reel, Bryan.
Ray, thanks for explaining the screws in the handle side (take apart) side plate. I would've thought someone "screwed" up. ;D
That box is the cats PJ's,
Dom

Dominick

Quote from: broadway on November 04, 2015, 10:15:49 PM
That's a sweet reel, Bryan.
I would've thought someone "screwed" up. ;D
Dom
I know you couldn't help yourself.  :D  I know what it is like.   :D  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Penn Chronology

In case anyone is interested in how this "Screw Up" looks on the inside of the head plate, here is how all those screws terminated.

This is not Brian's reel, this reel resides in OZ in the possession of Superhook. These early and strange quick take apart reels are rare; but, were sold or distributed, so every now and then one surfaces. Keep you eyes peeled for screwy Coronado's or Ocean Side's. They are really special reels.