Surfmaster 200/100

Started by joel8080, October 21, 2015, 05:36:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joel8080

I just finished redoing a Surfmaster 200 in 100 size, every pc inside is SS or Steel except for the yoke seems they were only made in brass for the Surfmaster, it has a Tiburon frame and Bryan's 5 stack.
Question what do you think max drag is now, I was thinking of using 40 spectra with a floro top shot. It also has a Newell aluminum spool.
Any ideas?

Joel 8080
Oceanside,California

Ron Jones

I have fished that spool with 40 braid many times. Your max drag will let you use heavier line than that but you run into capacity issues. Your reel is perfect for 40.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

alantani

bringing it on the spirit of adventure trip?  ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

joel8080

Hi Alan

It will be there. With a 5 stack and SS gear shaft SS dog Tiburon frame etc how much drag do you think the reel has? and how many pounds should I set it at.

Joel 8080
Oceanside,California

Porthos

Hey Joel,

That config will definitely do 12+ lbs, and I suspect maybe more than 15lbs; testing with a spring scale will confirm. But as Ron said, capacity becomes a potential limiting factor.

My Penn 27 (12lbs drag with smaller 6-155 HT-100's, which you saw in June on the SOA) uses the 29L-100; I have 300+ yards of 50lb braid on it with room left over for a 20-30' top shot of 40lb mono.

You could have a shorter top shot if going to 50lb mono with 15lbs of drag (letting the line and rod guides add in the remaining 1+ lbs drag); 1/3 of 50 is ~16.67.

40lb braid + 40lb top shot will get you at least to 350+ yds of line.

Wai

alantani

i was thinking more along the lines of a 30# topshot and 9-10 pounds of drag.  get those checks in soon, gentlemen.  the charter opens up to the general membership soon. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!