LINE CAPACITY DECAL MISINFORMATION

Started by LTM, October 23, 2015, 05:14:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LTM

Ive been working on some Abu's of late; specifically some 5500/6500 reels. Two 5500 reels state 12/300yds, one 2-speed 5500 state 12/195yds, one 6500 states 12/400yds. I checked my 4700 which states 12/200yds. Ive a Daiwa 27sh which is a little larger than the 6500 and it state 12/330yds. I know manufacture's stretch specifications, but this is ridiculous!! The only spec that seems realistic is the 27sh's 12/330. So, how far off are the Abu reels (4700-6500)? As a matter of fact, how realistic are manufacturer spec's when it comes to line capacity?

Thanx,

Leo

SoCalAngler

You understand that most line amount ratings are for IGFA rated lines, which break at or below the lines rated breaking strength. Most non IGFA mono and fluoro lines break above and some well above their stated breaking strengths and this is due to them being thicker in diameter to the IGFA lines. Some mono and fluoro lines are way thicker than they need to be to meet the manufactures rating.

I'm not saying the labels are wrong or not but you must take into account that the measurements are in fact done with a IGFA tournament rated line which have the thinnest diameter.  

El Pescador

Quote from: LTM on October 23, 2015, 05:14:08 AM
Ive a Daiwa 27sh which is a little larger than the 6500 and it state 12/330yds. I know manufacture's stretch specifications, but this is ridiculous!! The only spec that seems realistic is the 27sh's 12/330.
Thanx,
Leo

Leo,
I use a Daiwa 27H for Rockfishing here off the San Mateo coast, my 27H states on the reel  20 lbs. 220 yards.  I use P-Line CXX 25 lbs. and have 220 yards on the 27H.  Measured it when installed at Hi's Tackle, and more than once I've remeasured by taking it down to the local High School Football field, and walked it down to the goal and back again to confirm the amount of line on my reels.  I do get some funny looks by those jogging around the track. 
Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

Dominick

Quote from: El Pescador on October 23, 2015, 02:42:15 PM
I do get some funny looks by those jogging around the track. 
Wayne
That's because most people wear clothes out in public.  ;) :D ;D Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Steve-O

Quote from: Dominick on October 23, 2015, 04:24:51 PM
Quote from: El Pescador on October 23, 2015, 02:42:15 PM
I do get some funny looks by those jogging around the track. 
Wayne
That's because most people wear clothes out in public.  ;) :D ;D Dominick

When I measured my reel's line.....I didn't get any funny looks....maybe.... because (One) I kept my clothes on and (B) I was in my privacy fenced back yard....but it did take 7 trips around my measured posts. ;D

LTM

Thanx Gents for the feedback,

Mark, thanks for the IGFA info. I suspected that mfg's would need some standard and IGFA is a logical choice. However as Wayne picked-up on my comment on the Daiwa 27 being slightly larger than the 6500 and he has measured  his capacity to be correct so this makes Abu's spec's completel FALSE. I even went as far as to look at pictures of Abu reels on ebay to read the line decals on the reels and there is no rhyme-nor-reason to them; they are all over the place.

Leo

PS Wayne, I plan to use my Daiwa 27SH for shallow water rock cod fishing down here in SoCal as well. How is this reel working out for you in this application?

El Pescador

Quote from: LTM on October 25, 2015, 05:23:42 PM
Leo
PS Wayne, I plan to use my Daiwa 27SH for shallow water rock cod fishing down here in SoCal as well. How is this reel working out for you in this application?

Leo,

the Daiwa 27H is working PERFECTLY for me on both Rockfish & Salmon.  I caught the lingcod in my photo with this reel, and it spun the drag & some line off this reel, but all in all, perfect for this application.

Did have a handle issue which was resolved by Lee.  The standard issue handle left me panting like a worn-out squirrel!  The new handle with the 3/0 Alan handle works much better.  But read the post below to see what work was done to make it perform this way.

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=4609.0

If i target just huge Lingcod, I use a Penn 501 with all the tricks we talk about on this site.

Post photos of your upcoming SoCal trip!  We live vicariously through others!

Wayne

Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

LTM

Thanx Wayne,

I read your post regarding the handle issue when you first posted it. Ive a Diawa 47SH that I plan to use also for rock cod fishing (more drag and capacity).

Leo

CapeFish

I don't understand why manufacturers just state the line diameter and capacity, breaking strain and capacity are simply useless. How difficult can it be with a line winding machine to fill a reel a couple of times with various different diameter mono and braid until the spool is level with line at the lip of the spool?