Penn Reels - just as you find them

Started by Superhook, October 30, 2015, 10:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1badf350

Shellbelly,
Check page 34-35 of this very thread, there is some discussion of this style of 9/0

Also page 5 or so of this thread.
https://alantani.com/index.php/topic,17560.60.html
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

Crab Pot

Quote from: 1badf350 on August 09, 2023, 03:25:36 PMShellbelly,
Check page 34-35 of this very thread, there is some discussion of this style of 9/0

https://alantani.com/index.php/topic,17560.60.html

I vote for Chris to be site historian, what a memory!

Buy it nice or buy it twice.

Shellbelly

Quote from: 1badf350 on August 09, 2023, 03:25:36 PMShellbelly,

My head blew up at about page 150.  The span of actual production between '41 and '50 is about 5 years if you subtract the war years and speculate 4 war years of near-zero reel production or engineering changes.  The whole 9 years is kinda like a twilight zone of assumptions and educated guesses.  Fun, though.
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

Benni3

Cuttyhunker

This thread has, for me, been the the most educational on the subtle nuances to date the Penn's and interchangeability of parts as the reels evolved over the years.  Stick with it Shelly. 
Doomed from childhood

Cuttyhunker

Shelly
Here are the handles I have, check your PM, dark is unnumbered
Doomed from childhood

1badf350

He needs a knurled counterweight to be 100% correct. I believe the reel is circa 1941
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

Maxed Out

[/quote from Shellbelly/]The whole 9 years is kinda like a twilight zone of assumptions and educated guesses.  Fun, though.
[/quote]

Educated Penn collectors don't use educated guesses or assumptions.  A more official (lol) type of description would go something like this: logical conclusions based on varifiable time lines. The fun part is there's always new discoveries that can be shared and documented right on this forum. Keep your eyes peeled, cause you never know what you might find next

We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Shellbelly

I know!! ;)  ;)  I gave up Corporate Speak and Word Salad when I retired from that world.  Now I just speak Texan.  Requires much less effort and sports interesting results.
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)

Deepennz

Hi Shellbelly,
Your reel is an early 1941 9/0 -
1) the very first 2nd Gen 9/9's had no engraving on the tail plate - these are not easy to find.
2) Next Penn added the engraved tail plate - but still no front harness lugs. This is the model you have. These reels all came with the small, half circle top lug as per your reel. The correct spool should have a drilled arbor.
3)Penn next added the front harness lug - these were all the half circle lug. The spool still had the drilled arbor.
4)Next Penn changed the top lug to a full circle - still kept the smaller, half circle front lug and drilled arbor.
5) By late 1941 Penn the changed the spool arbor to the pinned type - they still had the small front lug.
So - that's 5 changes in one  year!!
6)In 1942 Penn finally changed the front lug to the bigger, full circle type - they also made the same change on their 10/0's and 12/0's.

If you count all the different 1st Generation models - 1936, 1937, 1938, 1939/40 internal drag models, and the late 1940 external drag model, and the 1941/1942 2nd Gen variants - thats 11 different pre war variants!!
Keep searching!
Cheers
Martin

Shellbelly

Thank you for condensing the sequence. Gleaning that solely from the conversational nature of the thread was proving to be difficult for me.

cdaline

Team Tani .... As found today at
the swap meet .... Appears to be
An early Penn Bayhead . Small
fingernail sized loss of Bakelite
on the crank side faceplate
otherwise intact and functional.
Plan to service and keep as display.
I like the heft on this one ...
seems a solid well made reel.
Please share any knowledge
as to common fishing usage
and timeline. I gave $5.
https://imgur.com/a/ed4uNpo

cdaline

Well .... The internet indicates the
following ( fwiw )....( no original
thought here, just gleaned by
search engine interrogation).

- By catalog ?7 or 8....
-manuf. . 1938 -1940.
-"Hersey kiss" clicker indicates
1940'ish.
-Model # ( if not imprinted ) can
be determined by yardage listed
foot post .
-I believe mine to
be #109 based on "300" yds.
-some in the lifecycle carry
art imprinted on the side plate
-the logo changed within the life cycle
-Experts indicate that the BAYHEAD
is a less expensive version of
the Bay Bridge.
-Orig. MSRP around $3.75

Deepennz

Hi,
IMHO your reel is a mixture of 2 reels from 2 different decades. It would seem that at some time in its life your
1939/1940 Bayhead 109 has been dropped and the handle and the back plate have been broken, and subsequently replaced/repaired with parts from an early/mid '50's Penn 85/Seaboy.
The wire line (heavy!) and the chipped front plate are also clues that the reel has been dropped and broken.
If you take the wire line off you will be able to see if the spool has either a drilled or pinned arbor. If the arbor is drilled, your reel is a 1939 version, and requires a wooden handle/small, coinedged c/w, and a waffle click/scenic tail plate.
If the spool is pinned, you have a 1940 Bayhead 109, same handle, same scenic tailplate but with a 'kiss clicker'

Good score for $5.00 !!
Cheers
Martin

cdaline

Sounds reasonable Martin ... I kind
of like the look of the wire line
so am hesitant to remove it as my
plan is just to display. I'm ok
with it being Heinz 57 mix n'
match. To be honest I do wish
it had the "Clipper Ship" back
plate. Worts and all this reel