Transition 9/0 reels

Started by Shark Hunter, October 31, 2015, 05:39:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

I came across a find last week. A pair of 9/0 transition reels. These are no more valuable than any other 9/0. I have just been looking for them for a while. These are the last ones made in the US before production went to China and now the current L2 Version with the Graphite half frame is the only new 9/0.

These look like they have been used well, but will clean up nice with Tom's frames and new handles.
I have a pair of these already. One was built from parts. The other I gave more than I usually do for a 9/0 just to have the two different side plates that have the 115L and 9/0 stamped on it.
Now I have Twins with Twins.

I really decked out the first pair with Accurate frames and all the goodies.
These will be no exception.
Here are the other two.

and the original thread about these oddball reels.
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=13028.0
Life is Good!

coastal_dan

Nice!  You are certainly keeping busy these days with big reels.
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Shark Hunter

I have been chomping at the bit to tear into these.
I opened up the worst of the two after work last night.
The seller told me the anti reverse didn't work on one. They seem to work fine.
I got to this reel just in time. Some minor corrosion on the parts. I think these were used for wire line trolling.
There is a lot of slop in the sleeve. Vertically and laterally. I think this is the issue with the anti reverse. The sleeve was tilting and the dog has been worn into a V shape? There are chips on the very edges of the spool. I am guessing the wire got in there.
I removed the sleeve and the post is still solid. replaced with stainless and shimmed. No more slop.

The drag washers look brand new. I think this was used for trolling a lot with no action. That would explain the condition of the sleeve.
That's it for now. Its 3am. I got to get to Bed. :P
Life is Good!

Tightlines667

Daron,

As always.. good work!

The only comment I might make is to ensure that the dog (s?) fully engage with the ratchet after shimming the sleeve, and that the inner collar still rides squarely on the sleeve after shimming.  Typically, I would be hesitant to shim more then about 0.5-0.6mm under the gear sleeve.  If more was required, better to just replace the bridge and/or gear sleeve.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Shark Hunter

I only used two .010 shims. This is normal even on a new reel.
Life is Good!

Shark Hunter

I put this one back together last night. I have to work all night tonight and the grandkids are coming over.
Time to clear the table. ::)
The only problem I had was the star threading onto the new stainless sleeve.
This reel had been abused, but I saved her from an early grave. ;D
My last Keta Krank. :'(
Life is Good!

BMITCH

Nice job Daron!! I've been on three trips to the canyons this year and on every trip someone asks me about the keta arms...top shelf stuff. Keep up the building..good fun

Bob
luck is the residue of design.

Shark Hunter

I received a few goodies to spice this reel up a bit.
The latest batch of inserts fit and finish is superb! Plug and Play. ;D
Now its finished! Tom's Frame, Adam's insert, Steel Gears and ss dogs and sleeve with Custom Handle.
I swapped the regular spacer for a top hat for clearance issues.
Life is Good!