A nice yellowfin... But......

Started by Steve-O, November 01, 2015, 01:08:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve-O

It ain't no tuna! :D :o ::)

During my honey do list today I have a trash run to the work dumpster...... Where there is also a fishing pond ...Which I frequent often.

So today's Halloween special it's a trick for you and a treat for me.

Only had an hour and a half so I had to make the most of it.

Here's the yellowfin!

And the  fish sporting it... a nice tubby common carp.

Caught two nice ones and then an unexpected capture.

Happy Halloween, all!

Steve-O

Guess I didn't rotate 1 picture. :-[
More tricks.

Steve-O

And the unexpected capture.....teaser pics...

Look close at the tape measure.  One meter long! !!!  :o former IGFA world record up to 2013.

Steve-O

I gotta quit posting from my phone all my pictures are upside down but they look right side up when I link them. Grrrrr!

I'm sitting in a parking lot waiting for my son to get back from a school trip.

More later...

Steve-O

Interesting...click on the inverted pics and they view upright. Okay....weird.

And the unexpected capture was a meter long white amur or grass carp. One of two or three in the urban fishery behind me.

Supposedly, a hulking 33#er lurks there. This one was only 25 #. But 25 more than i expected and put up a fine fight.

Dominick

Steve you should make a trip to Baja for some real YFT.  Mark your calendar June 7-15, 2016.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Steve-O

And, ya, I fish with my shoes off... but my shirt on......nyuk, nyuk, nyuk!

Deep in the net but still hanging out.

We have snow forecast next week so it will be over soon for me. The carp go dormant like a light switch and this pond was already cooling down. The common carp were sluggish and the grassie was acrobatic.

Both species had " fins up " attitudes and to me hilarious " what the heck!?!? " expressions while viewing the world above. 

Steve-O

Quote from: Dominick on November 01, 2015, 02:26:01 AM
Steve you should make a trip to Baja for some real YFT.  Mark your calendar June 7-15, 2016.  Dominick

I know I should. What are the temps like then ? Low 100's?  ;D

Can the fish be vacuum sealed and flash or zero degree frozen?

My coworkers are trying for a summer AK trip (which they wait too long to plan for each year)  and i would like to do mine in August next year for a better weather window at kayak fishing the entire week.

Are there kayak rentals in Baja? My wife wants tuna in the freezer. This trip could happen.

I imagine a YFT would be quite the sleighride. :)

And heat doesn't bother me at all. First summer in Utah at 106F and I still left my car AC off. I had just come from 30 years of NC humidity.

Dominick

Quote from: Steve-O on November 01, 2015, 02:52:20 AM
Quote from: Dominick on November 01, 2015, 02:26:01 AM
Steve you should make a trip to Baja for some real YFT.  Mark your calendar June 7-15, 2016.  Dominick

I know I should. What are the temps like then ? Low 100's?  ;D

When I go the temps are usually moderate cool mornings and hot days with cool evenings.

Can the fish be vacuum sealed and flash or zero degree frozen?

Yes if you don't mind paying for it.  I usually have the hotel freeze it in a conventional freezer and it freezes overnight.  Place the frozen packages in a cooler and they will stay frozen for at least 8 hours.

My coworkers are trying for a summer AK trip (which they wait too long to plan for each year)  and i would like to do mine in August next year for a better weather window at kayak fishing the entire week.

Are there kayak rentals in Baja? My wife wants tuna in the freezer. This trip could happen.

I haven't looked in San Jose but they do rent in Cabo San Luis.

I imagine a YFT would be quite the sleighride. :)

Yeah baby!

And heat doesn't bother me at all. First summer in Utah at 106F and I still left my car AC off. I had just come from 30 years of NC humidity.
Dry heat in early June.
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Steve-O

Thanks,  Dominick!
I looked at a few Baja sites this weekend.

Loreto is appealing to me.

Also looking at the 2016 calendar.....so much fishing ....so little time. ::)

BTW ....I am holding the IGFA all tackle length world record up to 2013 in that grass carp pic. Now it has to be 4 centimeters longer to beat the fellow in Japan who holds the title currently.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

El Pescador

Quote from: Steve-O on November 02, 2015, 05:16:41 PM
BTW ....I am holding the IGFA all tackle length world record up to 2013 in that grass carp pic. Now it has to be 4 centimeters longer to beat the fellow in Japan who holds the title currently.

Steve-O!

You are a bright guy, do what I did as an 8 yr. old young fisherman, catching 6" perch and making them 6 1/4" perch!

STEP on them!!!!

Tight lines....

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

Tile

Nice grass carp. These can be found in privately owned fisheries in Romania, not to mention the common and mirror ones.
In solid fiberglass we trust

thorhammer

Good job Steve O! The humidity is still here btw...

Steve-O

Quote from: El Pescador on November 02, 2015, 07:17:25 PM
Quote from: Steve-O on November 02, 2015, 05:16:41 PM

Steve-O!

You are a bright guy, do what I did as an 8 yr. old young fisherman, catching 6" perch and making them 6 1/4" perch!

STEP on them!!!!

Tight lines....

Wayne

Wayne....that is hilarious! ;D

recently some Bass angler got busted for cheating during a tournament and that has been going on for some time. Stuffing them with lead shot....etc.

Anyways, we both know it's more about this than a piece of paper that says I caught a big fish.