Upgrading a Jigmaster 506

Started by Alto Mare, November 17, 2015, 12:54:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

I got this nice reel for a very good price, so I decided to upgrade it

the seller mentioned that the reel was in excellent shape and he was right

the inner parts were loaded with grease, that stuff was so nasty, the brass changed color

decided to go with the double dogs on this one

parts for the upgrade are on the right

and here is the finished reel

This is a nice one and works great!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

thorhammer

Sal, that's sweet right there. You are a machine; didn't you just "upgrade" the Mag 10 yesterday? ;D Where does one get the six-shooter knob?

John

foakes

Nice job, Sal --

Those 506s are a terriffic reel.

With your focused upgrades -- it is now bulletproof.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

ReelCurious

I thought the double dog SS bridge didn't fit with the 505/506 reels because of the bearing spacing?

Alto Mare

Thanks guys!
Quote from: thorhammer on November 17, 2015, 01:03:35 AM
Sal, that's sweet right there. You are a machine; didn't you just "upgrade" the Mag 10 yesterday? ;D Where does one get the six-shooter knob?

John
John, things have been a little quiet around here, as for tutorials and upgrades, I thought I make some noise ;)
Here is the list for the parts used, just in case someone else has a question about them:

SS dogs, handle knob, SS  heat treated 5:1 gears, heat treated gear sleeve, SS jack and yoke and SS spacer bars, all from Pro Challenger (Black Pearl )

SS star was a gift from Dave (Jurelometer )...holes drilled by me

SS Handle from Motive Fabrication (Three se7ens)

Drag kit from Bryan Young

Washers for under the gear and on top made by me from McMaster-Carr's sheets

and that's about it.

Quote from: ReelCurious on November 17, 2015, 01:28:23 AM
I thought the double dog SS bridge didn't fit with the 505/506 reels because of the bearing spacing?
On the fourth picture you will notice the bridge is stock from Penn, I installed the pins for the extra dog and spring.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Tightlines667

Nice work!
Especially on the bridge assembly.  I like the custom holes drilled into the custom star... ads a touch of class.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Shark Hunter

That is Sick, Sal. ;D
I work on reels about every weekend. Nothing to match that Beauty.
Life is Good!

Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Rothmar2

Sweet reel, and inspiring work as always Sal.

mike1010

Beautiful reel, Sal.  It makes me want to dig into a 501 that recently came to me.

Mike

broschro

looking good :o I have the 99 sized set up the same with a Tib frame.

Aiala

Yet another in the seemingly endless succession of custom super-reels from the Maestro... wow!   :o

Are those McMaster Delrins pre-cut or do you punch them out yourself?   :)

~A~

I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

basto

Very nice Sal. Just love that handle grip!
Basto
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

Steve-O

Alto Mare

Thanks guys and gal ;D.
Aiala, I punch my own, but I believe Dawn has anything you need at a very reasonable price.

Sal