Making a wiiide Penn #65 Long Beach

Started by Superhook, November 24, 2015, 01:21:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maxed Out

Yes, These frame posts- surfmaster 200, jigmaster 500, long beach 67, 112,113 (&H's), 155, monofil 25,.... will all make the wide 65. Those seats all work also, except the 3 screw senator seats.
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

foakes

Might call for experimenting with a few of the Long Beaches in the spare parts bins that I restored last year back to stock.

Have mostly 60s (10), a few 65, 66, 67, 68.

Might be fun to try a few variations.

See what can be made.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Maxed Out

You're only limited by the spools Fred. It's all about same diameter to be interchangeable.

Today I made a narrow 3/0 senator. It now sports the 65 spool. Try that one on for size !! ;) ;)

Tightlines667

Ted,
That sounds like the ever elusive 2.5/0 (112A).  Kinda fills a gap.  Surprising Penn never thought to market this 'new model'.

*Photos are of Ted's wonderful creation.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

swill88

Quote from: Tightlines666 on November 28, 2015, 03:18:00 AM
Ted,
That sounds like the ever elusive 2.5/0 (112A).  Kinda fills a gap.  Surprising Penn never thought to market this 'new model'.

*Photos are of Ted's wonderful creation.

WOW!

Ron Jones

I thought the 85 spool fit the 2/0? Does the 3/0 use 2 stand screws or three?
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Tightlines667

Quote from: noyb72 on November 28, 2015, 03:57:10 AM
Ron

Both the 3/0 and 2/0 use 3 screw stands.  BTW the 3/0 stand is the same as the International 12W.  This would suggest that the aluminum spacer bars would fit a 3/0.
Hope springs eternal

Maxed Out

Quote from: noyb72 on November 28, 2015, 03:57:10 AM
Ron

The 2/0 is same spool as 285, & 85, and all will interchange with long beach 60. This is not a 2/0 (LB60 width), this narrowed 3/0 is a LB 65 width. It takes a 99 seat to narrow the 3/0, or the same could be accomplished by widening a 2/0. It ends up the same width as a penn 99, but just slightly larger diameter spool than the 99

Nice pics John.

RowdyW

Just think 20 or so years from now somebody is going to get on this site & ask "what have I got?"or "I've got a rarity" or "why is my 60 wider then my 65?". ;D ;D

Alto Mare

Amazing stuff Ted ;), a 99 with 4 rings and taller spool makes a nice reel.

I'll take that ashtray though ;D...
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Maxed Out

Quote from: Alto Mare on November 28, 2015, 05:03:53 AM
Amazing stuff Ted ;), a 99 with 4 rings and taller spool makes a nice reel.

I'll take that ashtray though ;D...

.....and 6 frame posts (a 99 has 4).

I actually made that ashtray too.....most think I only manufacture reels in my root cellar  :o. :D

Ron Jones

I misread 85 spool not 65. I'm really getting dizzy with the possibilities.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Superhook

Good 2.5/0 Ted . That's a Flash parts tray your showing off !

Tightlines667

Well..
Dr. Ted...
To quote Mike C..."A magician with the creation of 'MINT'"...Has been at it again...

He has created a narrowed, '99' width, 4/0.  It is the same width as that 3/0, but with a larger diameter.  This 113A is truly a 99 on steroids.  Guess there are actually 12 different possible sized senators, not just the stock 10 that everyone is familiar with.  

Thanks for sharing the photos Ted!  Hopefully this doesn't make those '99' stands, and 3/0 spools any harder to come by then they already are ;)
Hope springs eternal

Ron Jones

Interesting, I didn't think the Senator and 99 stand holes lined up. Not that there are a bunch of 99 bases floating around but that does increase the opportunities for making Grouper Specials.

Ron
Ronald Jones
"