2 or 3 piece

Started by mrand, November 25, 2015, 09:30:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrand

can someone tell me if this is a 2 or 3 piece spool for a senator 2/0. I can tell a difference on the larger spools thanks to the guys in this forum but  not sure on the smaller senators.
I have a senator 2/0 spool that looks different form this one. Mine doesn't have a smoother arbor which makes me think it is not a one piece

the one listed here on eBay does have a smooth arbor transition but that sleeve makes me think it might be a different design of a 3 piece (which Im' trying to avoid!)
thank you
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Penn-111-Senator-2-0-Metal-Spool-Made-in-USA-/131657799392?hash=item1ea76a96e0:g:PZAAAOSwcBhWUJi7

Superhook

It's not a 3 piece spool .

This is a later design ...sometimes they are stainless steel.

Cortez_Conversions

Ask the seller. I know he will have the answer for you. Hope that helps!
Visit: cortezconversions.com
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal

Alto Mare

As Superhook mentioned sometimes they're stainless steel, the one on the pic isn't.
That is a 3 piece spool, not as the earlier ones, but it is a 3 piece spool.
I believe Lee took one apart for us in the past.

Sal

Found the pic:
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=10114.msg143696#msg143696
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

mrand

you guys are amazing. Thanks so much for the help. I had a hunch about this one. I'm learning thanks to you guys.
So I'm in the market for a one piece Chrome spool for my 2/0 if anyone has an extra one laying around.

Hope everyone has a great thanksgiving.

Alto Mare

The spool that you've mentioned above is very durable, I would grab it if I were you. With the stainless steel spool similar to that one you get a reaction from the different metals and the sleeve on the hub usually gets deteriorated. Even so, it takes a long time and probably preventable if kept well greased.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Cortez_Conversions

Quote from: Alto Mare on November 25, 2015, 11:24:01 PM
As Superhook mentioned sometimes they're stainless steel, the one on the pic isn't.

Sal

Found the pic:

Sal,
How can you tell by looking if those are stainless or not? I have trouble telling them apart.
Visit: cortezconversions.com
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal

Alto Mare

Quote from: Cortez_Conversions on November 26, 2015, 02:44:42 AM
Quote from: Alto Mare on November 25, 2015, 11:24:01 PM

Sal

Found the pic:

Sal,
How can you tell by looking if those are stainless or not? I have trouble telling them apart.
Tom, for some reason Penn stainless steel spools have a duller finish.
I've never seen a stainless steel spool from them as shiny as the one above.

Dominick

Hey Sal, Lee, I pulled up that link you posted of Lee's efforts of taking that spool apart. In looking at the photo it looks like the spool could be a 4 piece spool.  Is that the case?  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Alto Mare

Quote from: Dominick on November 26, 2015, 04:50:15 AM
Hey Sal, Lee, I pulled up that link you posted of Lee's efforts of taking that spool apart. In looking at the photo it looks like the spool could be a 4 piece spool.  Is that the case?  Dominick
Well, if you're going to get technical and take all the pieces in consideration, it would actually be a ( 8 ) piece spool.
I consider IT to be a 3 piece spool.

Dominick

Did you count the pin?   ;D Sal I was not being facetious I was just looking at what we usually call a 3 piece and see the extra sleeve around the middle.  What is the purpose of the middle sleeve?  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Steve-O

Same spool as my leftover one here in the Trade section.

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=15943.0

2/0 ...3 piece spool in rashed chromed brass not a stainless version.

Superhook

I thought the thread was whether the spool was the early 3 piece model that could pop the flanges from using mono line. I doubt that he could damage this spool .....but there are those that could break a crowbar in a sand pit  ;)

Shark Hunter

That spool is just as good as a one piece strength wise. I wouldn't hesitate to buy it.
Like Ray said. Its the three piece with the tapered flanges that will pop on you.
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

Quote from: Dominick on November 26, 2015, 05:26:16 AM
Did you count the pin?   ;D Sal I was not being facetious I was just looking at what we usually call a 3 piece and see the extra sleeve around the middle.  What is the purpose of the middle sleeve?  Dominick
Yes! I counted the pin, I also counted the ratchet ;D .

My take on the middle sleeve is simply related to mass production. I've seen my share of these, the sleeve/hub changes with the size of the spool, but the flanges are always the same.
It probably was more cost effective for them to dish out a bunch of spool flange of the same size.