If you had to pick one reel company would it be:

Started by Baja Bev, November 30, 2015, 07:30:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkT

Is Okuma an option?  They can cover all the bases too, better than Accurate or Avet since they have nice baitcasters and spinners for the lighter inshore duties.

With Shimano, you can go with Trinidads and Talicas to cover anything off shore and Curados and Calcuttas in shore.  TranX is like a Trinidad with a levelwind.  Lots of spinning options too if you wanted to go that way.

Accurate and Avet do well offshore but not so much inshore.  
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

alantani

well, i think penn had slipped for quite a while.  it reminds me of the ford mustang.  the 66's are classics, for pure muscle you can't beat a '69 mach I, no one considers a 1980 mustang to be a classic, and the new models are actually really nice!!  i think it's similar for penn.  the old senators are absolute workhorses.  the old internationals were made 50 years ago but still deliver a drag range suitable for spectra.  later, penn had a few flops.  and now with the torques and international v series, they are back on top, where they should be. 

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

akfish

I too would say Penn -- except that in the last several years I have seen so many reels made by Penn theater absolutely **horrible**. I'm thinking of the GTO series, the cheap spinners, the Chinese GT2 reels, the 113H2, and more. Penn's top of the line reels are outstanding but you just can't say that about everything they make. And as for getting parts: It is already getting hard to get parts for reels that Penn discontinued just 5 years ago. That's the case with all companies, of course (read: Shimano) but, sadly, Penn support isn't what it used to be.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Bill B

It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

basto

The PENN reels that interest me  are the 113h, and the old ss series Spinfishers.
The Shimano reels that interest me  are the Triton Mark 1 to 4 conventionals.
The Daiwa reels that interest me are my Sealines and my Catalina spinner.

I also have other reels, but have not seen a modern reel recently that interests me. The reason for this is because of the high gear ratios.
I bought a new PENN Fathom level wind for my wife recently and like its 4.3:1 ratio.

If there was only one reel manufacturer, I would go with PENN because their versa drag is such a great development and their availability of parts for older reels is so good.
Basto
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

Baja Bev

Quote from: alantani on November 30, 2015, 11:05:38 PM
well, i think penn had slipped for quite a while.  it reminds me of the ford mustang.  the 66's are classics, for pure muscle you can't beat a '69 mach I, no one considers a 1980 mustang to be a classic, and the new models are actually really nice!!  i think it's similar for penn.  the old senators are absolute workhorses.  the old internationals were made 50 years ago but still deliver a drag range suitable for spectra.  later, penn had a few flops.  and now with the torques and international v series, they are back on top, where they should be. 

Thanks for the phone call Alan. I hadn't considered Okuma. Your analogy to vintage cars is not only spot on but you probably remember I owned a '68 Charger and I am still a bit of a gear head. I set a record on a Penn 525 mag and loved it so much I bought another. I did the same thing with the Baja Special which I used as a proto type when we filmed in Mexico with Steve and Ronnie. The only other reel I own as a set is a pair of Newell G220F which I cherish so much I have willed them to friends. I have 9 Shimanos and I really enjoy the Talicas but Shimano doesn't give me the warm fuzzies. And talk about Dinosaurs lol, I happen to have a Daiwa Sealine rod and reel restored and sitting around in my collection. I also have a Tiburon SST-8 that (I'm about to jinx) has NEVER lost a fish. I often give it to newbies on their first albacore to use.
As far as parts and service I trust Alan, Bryan Young and Jim Nomura to get my reels serviced, but I take care of my reels too. The last "parts" nightmare I had was with the Shimano Tiagra 30 screw issue. It was taken care of but I still can't believe how it got to that point.
Thanks for the imput and the staunch Penn support. I'll revisit options after I get back from 'Lupe.
Alan's reel repair saves lives! Just ask my friend who dropped my Penn on the garage floor.

whalebreath

Here in BC  Shimano is head & shoulders above any other manufacturer mainly for engineering quality-distributorship and service are sketchy here for any brand you could name that's small market reality.

SoCalAngler

It's kind of hard to say, as Penn and Okuma had some real clunkers in the past, but in the last about 8 years they both have turned it around. Now without Tiburon Enginering in the picture we will need to see what Okuma has up there sleeve with models moving forward.

Shimano IMO asks too much for their reels and discontinues models often. Instead of addressing issues with their reels that have known problems they just DC that line and put out something new, some with the same exact issues.

Accutate has had issues with the anti reverse bearings since the day they came out with reels. I don't know much about the newer models because I don't fish them. Their fit and finish is great but having maniacal issues for so long and not really addressing the problem is what I don't like.

Like others have said Penn would be a good choice as it stands now as would be Okuma.

As a pro staffer one needs to show off the new gear, not take older models and drop in many goodies to bring them up to the fishing standard of today. That is why I'd lean toward Penn.

Until Okuma starts to put out reels without Tiburon involved I'd be a bit leery until I saw their new stuff, 

Bryan Young

The choices are hard.  Definitely the top three I would choose would be Okuma, Penn and Shimano (in alphabetical order) based on their shore, inshore, near shore, and off shore reels and rods.

If you are looking at a complete tackle supplier, I would choose Okuma.  Okuma's partners include Sabile and Pakula for your lures needs.  Their rods have been getting better and better every year.  I'm impressed by their line of rods.  They fish very nice and are mated perfectly to their reels.

Second would be Penn.  Penn's reels are great, especially their International, Torque, Fathom, and Squalls for their conventional reel and Torque and Clash for their spinner reels.  I have not fished their rods.  I cannot seem to find their upper end rods to see how they feel.  I know my friends fish their shore rods and love the feel and economic value.  They have yet had any issues with any of the Penn rods used.

And Shimano.  They are a complete fishing experience as well.  Their reels are great, and have everything you could possibly need and more.  Personally, I don't like the feel of their many of their rods, but I know a lot of people that love their rods and matching reels.  My favs are still the Travalas and the older Calcuttas.  Other than that, I think the rods are too soft for my taste.  It give more leverage to the fisherperson, but I like faster rods.

If you are only looking at reels, I'd say talk with them to see which company you can honest represent them and yourself.  It needs to be a win-win situation for both parties.  I personally would be stuck between Okuma and Penn.

If you are looking at rods, Phoenix and Seeker will fit your needs.  Phoenix are light and strong.  Seeker are a bit heavier, but I have yet to see one snap...so my choice would be Seeker.  If you are going with either, I would seek sponsorship from either and have Jon Vadney custom wrap your rods for a matched set.  He is very reasonable since his custom prices are not much more than factory wrapped prices.

Lastly, you can visit Okuma in Ontario and see each of their available and prototype rods and reels to help you make a decision.

Good luck.
Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Baja Bev

Bryan you are perceptive... I am going with Seeker. Jon is a consideration (are you reading my mind) and I fish a wide spectrum so I will give Okuma and their partners a second look. Thanks for weighing in.
Alan's reel repair saves lives! Just ask my friend who dropped my Penn on the garage floor.

FatTuna

If I can only pick one, I'm going to have to go against the grain and say Shimano. I honestly like them all though. I fish a lot of spinning reels. I really like the Shimano Stradic and Saragosa. I do really like the Penn 706 though. Shimano conventionals are great too. They make a reel for every type of fishing situation. I'm a big fan of the TLD series, Talica, Calcutta, and Tiagra.

My favorite small lever drag reels are the Avets. I just really like the style and they have the best customer service in my opinion. I really like that they are made in the USA. Aside from the pinon bearing issues, I wouldn't change a thing about them. Really easy to build. Unique sizes for lever drags.

As far as star drag reels go, I like Penns. The 113H is probably the best all round reel in my opinion. Good looking and proven. Utilitarian and practical. Easy to work on. The Daiwa Sealine is a good reel too though. Style wise, I like the Penn 506HS, 27, and 501. Best bang for your buck, I like the old Penn long beaches. The 60 and 65. They have the low gear ratio but sometimes I prefer that. Good flounder reels. My favorite mid-sized star drags are the 114H and 115.

My favorite level wind is the Penn Fathom but I also like the Penn GTs, 320 and 330s. I've used my fathom as my primary bottom reel for a few years now and it's still very smooth.

For baitcasting reels, I like the Penn 965 and the Shimano Calcutta.

For big game reels, I like the Shimano 50WLRSA for 50lb class. Definitely the most tricked out 50. The Penn 80STW for 80lb. Best value and I have confidence in that massive pinon gear. The only thing I don't like about it is that the studs are brass and deform. Also, the shifting is not a good as the modern reels. The Penn 130VSX for 130lb. The ST sells for too much money in my opinion. I have nothing negative to say about the Tiagra. One thing I noticed about the VSX is that the button can stick after a while. Nevertheless, it's still my favorite. I think it's the sound of the clicker, it gets my adrenaline pumping.

Tightlines667

Quote from: fatstriper on December 08, 2015, 03:33:45 AM
If I can only pick one, I'm going to have to go against the grain and say Shimano. I honestly like them all though. I fish a lot of spinning reels. I really like the Shimano Stradic and Saragosa. I do really like the Penn 706 though. Shimano conventionals are great too. They make a reel for every type of fishing situation. I'm a big fan of the TLD series, Talica, Calcutta, and Tiagra.

My favorite small lever drag reels are the Avets. I just really like the style and they have the best customer service in my opinion. I really like that they are made in the USA. Aside from the pinon bearing issues, I wouldn't change a thing about them. Really easy to build. Unique sizes for lever drags.

As far as star drag reels go, I like Penns. The 113H is probably the best all round reel in my opinion. Good looking and proven. Utilitarian and practical. Easy to work on. The Daiwa Sealine is a good reel too though. Style wise, I like the Penn 506HS, 27, and 501. Best bang for your buck, I like the old Penn long beaches. The 60 and 65. They have the low gear ratio but sometimes I prefer that. Good flounder reels. My favorite mid-sized star drags are the 114H and 115.

My favorite level wind is the Penn Fathom but I also like the Penn GTs, 320 and 330s. I've used my fathom as my primary bottom reel for a few years now and it's still very smooth.

For baitcasting reels, I like the Penn 965 and the Shimano Calcutta.

For big game reels, I like the Shimano 50WLRSA for 50lb class. Definitely the most tricked out 50. The Penn 80STW for 80lb. Best value and I have confidence in that massive pinon gear. The only thing I don't like about it is that the studs are brass and deform. Also, the shifting is not a good as the modern reels. The Penn 130VSX for 130lb. The ST sells for too much money in my opinion. I have nothing negative to say about the Tiagra. One thing I noticed about the VSX is that the button can stick after a while. Nevertheless, it's still my favorite. I think it's the sound of the clicker, it gets my adrenaline pumping.

X2

I basically echo everything you said, except...

I still prefer the older Penn (or the Tiagra) 130 over the new VSX.

The VSX are great performing reels out of the box, and manufactured to high tollerances, built like a tank, etc, but I and many other local repair guys are seeing way too many issues with this series.  Frozen cam assemblies/ griding gears, shifting problems, etc... The high tollerances, cause issues to present themselves with moderate wear.  They are also relatively intolerant of saltwater intrusion and the resulting salt buildup which is inevitable given the location/design of the lever opening.  The drag curve is a bit steep for my liking as well.  They are great reels for the 'weekend warrior', or someone who will likely fish them less around 30Xs/year/between servicings, but for years of everyday use the simpler older Penn wins out (in my book). 

The Tiagra 130 are nice, and even though they have their issues as well (electrolysis around drive shaft, gear wear, quicker bearing failure), they are lighter weight and are definately performance machines.  The cams are a bit smaller then I like, and I don't like the fact that the cam pocket is built into the sideplate, since any damage requires a new sideplate.  The drag material looks soft, and less durable then the Penns, but the drags perform and wear very well.  I don't like the plated bellevilles that flake, and corrode with fatigue (also alot of clicker lever spring, and early ast pawl retainer failures).  Also, they have alot of plastic, aluminum, and anodizing that fades over time (pretty good up to 10 years though, and nice new).  Still great reels, also parts cost is actually very reasonable (except those fancy bearings).

I like the overall design of the Accurate Platinum reels, but they can be cost prohibituve, and I havn't serviced enough of them to comment much on durability issues.

Likewise, I am throighly impressed with the design of the Avet T-Rex, but have only serviced new, or lightly used reels, so I can't comment on long term stuff.

If I could only buy new, modern fishing equiptment from one company...it would be Shimano

If I wanted reels that may not perform quite as smooth out of the box, but that will 'take a licking a keep on tickin' and last a lifetime, and have longer customer parts support...it would be Penn. 

I wouldn't be dusuaded from buying Avet, Accurate, FinNor, Everol, Diawa, Seeker, or others though.

Just a few thoughts based on my personal experience servicing around 500+ reels (mostly 80, 130, 12, and 14/0 sized Penns and Shimanos).
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

FatTuna

Thanks for that write up John. I do not have enough long term experience with the VSX to evaluate the durability of the reel. I respect your opinion. I do not own these reels but I fished with them all season and performance wise I really liked how they felt. The drag on them was very smooth. My Shimanos didn't feel quite as smooth. The VSXs were much newer though so wear could have been a factor.  By the end of the year, the shift buttons on the VSXs were getting stuck intermittently. The reels were getting splashed from time to time. The Shimano I feel has a more reliable shift design. They were certainly lighter. Mainly I just like how the VSX fished and felt. I also like the way it looks. I really can't comment how it's going to hold up. They are also "frequently" on sale for around $1000 shipped which is attractive if you are buying new. I tried really hard to find a deal on some Tiagra 130s and I never found any kind of discount. I ended up having to buy used.

I do agree with you about the Shimano parts. They are more affordable and available. That is a significant variable when buying an expensive reel that you plan to keep for years.

Personally, I would probably be more of an ST fan if I could find them for less money.... I've rebuilt about a dozen of them. They are well made reels. I don't dislike them. The parts can be expensive though. A few parts are no longer available. I once needed a gear stud plug that was very tricky to locate.

I'm curious now to see if those VSXs end up having issues.

Shark Hunter

I really want a VSX 130, but you guys are changing my mind.
I only fish for Big Game two or three times a year, but the reel has to be up to it.
I have plenty of other big reels, I just wanted the latest and greatest.
Life is Good!

Tightlines667

I don't mean to dissuade anyone from the VSX series.  They are strong, high performance machines, and will likely work hard for years if you maintain them properly, shim where appropriate, and replace parts when needed.  They are pretty, and strong, and backed by solid company with great support.  Also the drag material is really built to last. 

The Shimanos have just been more popular around here.  They are lighter, smoother (out of the box), and I know the repair guys prefer working on them.  However, I have noticed that some guys that fish them into the ground, are moving back to the older Penns.  Parts cost and availability can be an issue with these reels, as can finding an old offshore saltwater reel that doesn't have excessive corrosion though.  And they certainly are not as precise.  I have an affinity for the old gold reels, since that's what I grew up fishing with.

Really, all of these big reels are over built and will likely work well for what they were intended to do, and with proper servicing will last a long time

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.