Shill Bidding is getting really bad

Started by Newell Nut, December 02, 2015, 07:23:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reel 224

I would think this would be counter productive for the sale of these reels, sooner or later people are going the catch on like you did and just not bid for them. Further more I think you have to be super Cautious when it comes to perching on ebay in the first place.

Joe  
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

mikeysm

I too have been through this. What I do no is put in my max bid and leave it at that. They always over bid me and get stuck with something that is not worth what they paid for it.

vilters

thanks for posting Dwight. I had wondered why so many items would sell, then be relisted shortly thereafter. good to be aware of this...

Dominick

Not only are you dealing with shills but it is probably stolen goods.  The clue being that the rod clamp is missing.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

David Hall

I like to report them As soon as I figure out their game.
i had a guy selling high end 4wheelers for ridiculous prices.  i chased him around from eBay to craigslist and back again.  i got him to send me emails and tracked his IP address then turned that in to eBay security.
His account was cancelled and he went on the lamb.
Head of eBay security emailed me an invite to visit their security division as his guest.  i didn't go, wish I had it might have been interesting.  There's always a scam artist trying to pull one over on you.  Just do your homework, know the fair value of the item and set your max bid like shark man said and let it go.  I can't tell you how many times I dropped out and watched an item go for 10-50% or more than it is worth.  i have seen used items go for more than the retail price of the same item BNIB!  People get auction fever and can't bear to lose I guess?  And unless your bidding on a one of kind item there will be another one, and another one, and another one.

Aiala

I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

foakes

Maybe, maybe not Aiala --

Dwight would be able to tell us by the bidding pattern and his experience.

Although colored Newells will command high numbers.

This time of year (Christmas)! Some bidders who have missed out by a bit on some of the rare items they want -- will just put a Hail Mary bid out there. 

Ebay, by its very nature -- mixes pros, amateurs, collectors, newbies, and oldbies -- along with crooks and scammers -- into a chaotic heap.

Sometimes in order to get what we think we really need -- we have to wade into the swamp goo.

And if we pay what others think is too much for one rare reel -- we have probably gotten another 10 at below market levels either through ebay or other sources -- so it generally averages out to our advantage.

None of us have to play ebay -- but it is a source for those tough items from time to time.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Aiala

Fred, thanks for the rundown.  :)

Naturally I'd love to acquire a pink Newell (or pink anything) but not for the price of a new 2-speed Avet or what have you... too rich for my blood.   ::)

~A~

Steve-O

I just looked at the pink Newell bid history and would agree....maybe, maybe not a shill bid auction. My gut says no....my experience says, looking at the bids that "mr or ms zero feedback" is mucking up the auction with wild bidding. The top bidder has money and is changing the value or perceived value of the reel by throwing money at it regardless. He or she will win and pay too much for it...but will win despite mr zero feedback.  That's my 2 cents.

There will be another pink Newell and it may or may not play out the same way again.

whalebreath

Quote from: David Hall on December 04, 2015, 01:30:24 AMi have seen used items go for more than the retail price of the same item BNIB!People get auction fever and can't bear to lose I guess?And unless your bidding on a one of kind item there will be another one, and another one, and another one
How very true.

The only item I never paid for was like that I bid far too much then after winning came to my senses and emailed the seller telling him I was backing out-he never got back to me/there was no feedback and I learned my lesson.

As to those coloured reels WTH cares about that-it must be some deep seated emotional attachment that I lack makes no sense at all to me.

Newell Nut

Quote from: Aiala on December 06, 2015, 03:41:40 PM
Is this a shill bid? http://www.ebay.com/itm/231773208828?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT   ???

~A~

Even though colored newels are popular and fetch more money I did spot two bidders on the bidders list that obviously ran the bids up. Looked as though the winner may have been legit with only 4% of his action with that bidder.

If you study it enough you will be able to spot them. Always click on the area that states the number of bids. A list will come up. You can click on each bidder id and see the percentage of ebay business is done with that seller. If it is a high percentage just keep watching the action each day. If someone places a bid for $50 and then make a $150 max bid then a shill bidder will bid until he finds the max. Then the shill bidder will make a higher max bid for others to chase.

sdlehr

Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Shark Hunter

I've bought from that seller before with no problems.
Life is Good!

Superhook

This would be legit ..1 & 0 feedbacks on the two high bidders. They can overpay .

Aiala

Quote from: Shark Hunter on December 12, 2015, 07:55:30 AM
I've bought from that seller before with no problems.

Me, too... many times.   :)

~A~