Shill Bidding is getting really bad

Started by Newell Nut, December 02, 2015, 07:23:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newell Nut

I have tracked the Newells for quite a while and in the past few months the practice of shill bidding has gotten extremely bad. For those that don't know the illegal practice, it is the practice of using friends or employees to run up a bid. It is easy to spot when you see a bunch of bids and a high price early in the listing. The proof is when you look at the bidders and see that 100% or 50% of their bidding is for this one listing person.
One of the tackle companies recently auctioned a left hand NIB Newell that went to around $375. I could see the proof of shill bidding. A few weeks go by and they relist the same reel again because an employee won the bid because no sane Newell Nut would chase the bid.
Happens a lot when Pawn shops sell stuff too. Don't chase shill bids guys.

Reel 224

Quote from: Newell Nut on December 02, 2015, 07:23:57 PM
I have tracked the Newells for quite a while and in the past few months the practice of shill bidding has gotten extremely bad. For those that don't know the illegal practice, it is the practice of using friends or employees to run up a bid. It is easy to spot when you see a bunch of bids and a high price early in the listing. The proof is when you look at the bidders and see that 100% or 50% of their bidding is for this one listing person.
One of the tackle companies recently auctioned a left hand NIB Newell that went to around $375. I could see the proof of shill bidding. A few weeks go by and they relist the same reel again because an employee won the bid because no sane Newell Nut would chase the bid.
Happens a lot when Pawn shops sell stuff too. Don't chase shill bids guys.

It was disused here earlier this year and from time to time about ebay and other sites over pricing items. This business of shill biding has gone on since or grandfathers time. Which brings me to saying.....You have to know the value of the piece you are biding on, or let the buyer be ware. I have to say this is a dishonest act but there are dishonest people in this world. You are wise to this action and thanks for bringing it up.

Joe     
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Steve-O

China ebayers are doing it to the 9's! >:(

I play the game and use it against them sometimes up to a certain dollar amount or proof of shilling point ....then drop and watch how it ends.  Just like you say- same one wins it and then magically it's re-listed. ;)

Aiala

Huh... I wondered why the prices seemed so outlandish... shill bidding, hey?   :(

I wouldn't mind acquiring another Newell or two, but I don't want to be ripped off. Plus, I'm uneducated about all the different letter prefixes --'G', 'P', 'S', etcetera-- and don't know which are more (or less) desirable.   ???

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

conchydong

Shill bidding does exist but Newells can go for crazy prices especially if they are "colored". I sold my red 533 on the flea for a lot more than I imagined.

Shark Hunter

I have seen that too Dwight. I have a set price in my head when I see a reel I want. I don't go over it.
There will be more.
Life is Good!

Newell Nut

Quote from: Aiala on December 02, 2015, 11:18:39 PM
Huh... I wondered why the prices seemed so outlandish... shill bidding, hey?   :(

I wouldn't mind acquiring another Newell or two, but I don't want to be ripped off. Plus, I'm uneducated about all the different letter prefixes --'G', 'P', 'S', etcetera-- and don't know which are more (or less) desirable.   ???

~A~
Gs and Ps are my favorites. Ss are nice but there are different versions. The ones with the long cross bolts you want to run from. If you bought a new one and took care of it then no issue. If you buy a used one you can get burned. Mr Newell had a good idea for strength but the chrome content was too low and these screws would rust and break. If you had one of these the remedy would be to just add a Tiburon frame and the problem is solved.
The basics of all the Newells are pretty much the same and parts are interchangeable from one model to another.

swill88

Quote from: Newell Nut on December 03, 2015, 12:28:46 AM

~A~
Gs and Ps are my favorites. Ss are nice but there are different versions. The ones with the long cross bolts you want to run from. If you bought a new one and took care of it then no issue. If you buy a used one you can get burned. Mr Newell had a good idea for strength but the chrome content was too low and these screws would rust and break. If you had one of these the remedy would be to just add a Tiburon frame and the problem is solved.
The basics of all the Newells are pretty much the same and parts are interchangeable from one model to another.

I was told by Chowderpuff on ebay that some S's don't fit the Tib frames (without modification).
My S229-5 does fit...
No long through bolts.
He told me metal bearing cups on the S indicate a good fit.

$.02

Newell Nut

This one is a classic Shill Bid operation. Bidder enters his max bid into the system and then the shill bidder tries to find the guys max and then hopes dummies will chase it higher.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Newell-S540-3-2-Conventional-Saltwater-Fishing-Reel-Excellent-Condition-/121829528810?hash=item1c5d9b14ea:g:G7QAAOSwZVhWTQX8

This one has already been sold twice. The winner this time is the owner again.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/121805868607?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

This is how you spot them. This guy has 335 ebay transactions which is a lot and 100% of his bids has been to the same lister (Melton tackle).
http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBidderProfile&mode=1&item=121805868607&aid=0***e&eu=&bidtid=1551748602002&view=NONE&ssPageName=PageBidderProfileViewBids_None_ViewLink

Newell Nut

Quote from: swill88 on December 03, 2015, 12:34:23 AM

~A~

I was told by Chowderpuff on ebay that some S's don't fit the Tib frames (without modification).
My S229-5 does fit...
No long through bolts.

$.02

What Gregg is referring to in modification he does as insurance because some people have no mechanical skills. The long bolt model will have shorter long bolts holding the inner rings. These inner rings have small holes that are too small for the 5-40 screws that go into the tib frame. Simply ream them out with next size larger drill and everything fits. Most people can do this but some don't have a clue how to use a drill. He is trying to reduce his returns.

Tightlines667

This happens with high end collectables on ocassion as well.  When an ORCA member spots the infraction, often times measures are taken (it is reported to EBay), which often result in some form of diciplinary action being taken.  An account may he frozen or disabled or the like.  Unfortunately, it is not too difficult to get another EBAY a count (I think you just need a different email address, maybe a different address, name, or PayPal acount, if linked?  not sure really).

This is a problem buyers should be aware of
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

swill88

Quote from: Newell Nut on December 03, 2015, 12:42:50 AM
Quote from: swill88 on December 03, 2015, 12:34:23 AM

~A~

My S229-5 does fit...
No long through bolts.

$.02

What Gregg is referring to in modification he does as insurance because some people have no mechanical skills. The long bolt model will have shorter long bolts holding the inner rings. These inner rings have small holes that are too small for the 5-40 screws that go into the tib frame. Simply ream them out with next size larger drill and everything fits. Most people can do this but some don't have a clue how to use a drill. He is trying to reduce his returns.

got it... Thanks!

and thanks for the shill info... it explains a lot.

Newell Nut

The quickest thing to get your attention is this. Normally there will only be a few bids during the 6 day listing until the last hour and it heats up.
When you see 10 to 15 bids in the first two days you should smell a rat right away.

Steve-O

Hey, Dwight, thanks for sharing your experience with the shill game on the bay. I have been on there since 98 and saw it go down hill fast when a certain large eastern country jumped on board. Copy everything, sell, sell, sell, no returns, no ethics, no kidding.  I still get the itch to jump in and goof around with a pos ID'd shiller just to raise false hopes then bail...then wait 5 days and the same item is back up. Too funny.

So much money involved that the corporate folks have glazed eyes and "miss" this small time shill stuff.

My .02 cents. Add that to $6.00 and tax and you get a Cuppa Joe! ;D

Newell Nut

Here is a newell that is not worth more than 130, not mint and no rod clamp. Sold for $148.50 so why is it now relisted and sitting at $66 currently. Nobody would chase the employees bid any higher the first time so the pawn shop was stuck with it to relist again. If you scroll down the link you will see the relisted reel. This could be a nice little reel cleaned up and new drags if a non employee can get it honestly.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/391303830616?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT