Front Page of the Local Newspaper!

Started by Deadweight, December 03, 2015, 03:23:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deadweight

The 2.5m bull shark I landed at the beginning of the year was featured on the front page of our local newspaper, the Gold Coast Bulletin! Also did an interview with them, and I really stressed the catch and release ethos present in the majority of shark fisherman. All in all, it turned out pretty good although they did manage to spell my name wrong! Here's a link to the full article http://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au/lifestyle/pets-and-wildlife/amateur-shark-hunters-are-hauling-in-about-100-sharks-every-week/story-fnk74alk-1227631749499

Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Deadweight

Quote from: Dominick on December 03, 2015, 03:38:20 AM
Are they releasing them?  Dominick

Yeah mate, all the sharks I catch are tagged and released, and the vast majority of anglers around here release their sharks. Some blokes keep the smaller ones (around the 1m mark) as they're great eating around that size, but it's illegal to keep sharks over 1.5m here in Queensland.

Steve-O

Shark...the biting white meat.  :D

Good onya! Helps promote the sport of C&R.

alantani

if they are following the local rules, it should not be a problem.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Deadweight

Lowprofile

Personally, I try to avoid all contact with the media and keep my sharks (large ones or pics in urban areas) off social media. It just adds fuel to the fire and I dont want to be a part of it.  But I can understand the excitement of being on the front page of the paper. Awesome that you guys are doing well and giving the sport a good name. I just hope it doesn't affect you negatively. I'm sure some legislator is already drafting a bill stating that fishermen to attract "man eating sharks" to the shore....

Steve-O

Quote from: Lowprofile on December 04, 2015, 03:10:44 PM
Personally, I try to avoid all contact with the media and keep my sharks (large ones or pics in urban areas) off social media. It just adds fuel to the fire and I dont want to be a part of it.  But I can understand the excitement of being on the front page of the paper. Awesome that you guys are doing well and giving the sport a good name. I just hope it doesn't affect you negatively. I'm sure some legislator is already drafting a bill stating that fishermen to attract "man eating sharks" to the shore....

Although my above comments were supportive and positive, I will agree with you on discretion being the better part. We had numerous shark attacks on my home state's coastal beaches this summer and anglers; specifying shark anglers were having red flags waved at them with legislation being talked about limiting shark fishing times, areas, etc.  Kind of a hot topic like gun control after a shooting.

So ya, a two sided coin for sure with pros and cons.

Three se7ens

Quote from: Steve-O on December 04, 2015, 06:15:47 PM
Quote from: Lowprofile on December 04, 2015, 03:10:44 PM

Although my above comments were supportive and positive, I will agree with you on discretion being the better part. We had numerous shark attacks on my home state's coastal beaches this summer and anglers; specifying shark anglers were having red flags waved at them with legislation being talked about limiting shark fishing times, areas, etc.  Kind of a hot topic like gun control after a shooting.

So ya, a two sided coin for sure with pros and cons.

The closest beach to me has a ban on shark fishing.  Heavy rigs alone can get you fined for "sharking" from the beach.

Deadweight

I appreciate and share your concerns, but the fact is that around here everybody knows that the sharks are present in large numbers in our estuaries and canal systems. If we were chasing sharks in between the flags on the public beaches then I imagine that it would cause a bit of controversy, but people generally know and respect the fact that there sharks around. Nobody sensible swims in the canals, at dawn or dusk or in dirty water anyway. The local newspapers and tv channels generally run between 5-10 stories about sharks of summer every year and probably half of them feature shark fishing in some (albeit, often small) way.

Shark Hunter

You just keep doing what you are doing.
It is no different than any other type of fishing.
Catching these beasts from shore is very challenging.
The reward is a very memorable experience when the monster swims away.
Hats off to you my friend. ;)
Life is Good!

Deadweight

Quote from: Shark Hunter on December 05, 2015, 08:07:28 AM
You just keep doing what you are doing.
It is no different than any other type of fishing.
Catching these beasts from shore is very challenging.
The reward is a very memorable experience when the monster swims away.
Hats off to you my friend. ;)

Thanks buddy, I appreciate the kind words!