12/0 for Fred

Started by Shark Hunter, December 04, 2015, 07:51:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

I got into a 12/0 Build for Fred last night. I got all these parts on the cheap. Came with everything but the Handle and spool.
This is just how I like to find them. Some Patina, but like new on the inside.
Very Nice set of Steel Gears. The sleeve has no wear at all. Used one .010 shim.
New seven stack. Delrin Undergear.
Only two more screws for the rod brace and then to find a handle.
Uh-Oh! This spool is toast. It looks like it has been dropped.
It amazes me how unnoticed these spools can be until you put them in a reel.
It doesn't rub, but it looks like a bad tire when rotating. I'm walking away for now. I'll finish it tonight. >:(
Life is Good!

foakes

Nothing like having it built by the Master of Senators!

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Tightlines667

Ouch!  I hate it when that happens.  Maybe a machine shop might he able to shape it back to 'true' with pressure, heat, and carefull bending?  A new/used spool is gonna be costly :(
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

sdlehr

You may be able to drill a hole in your work surface so that the spindle fits in it and the edge of the reel is flush with the table top except where it is misaligned, then lay a small piece of wood over top of the metal and give it a few wacks until it is flush with the table top all the way around. Beats shelling out a bunch of $ for a new spool. If it bent when dropped it ought not require too much force to bend it back. It's not going to damage the reel's integrity to have it straightened. Plus, it's a cool story.
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Shark Hunter

I finished your reel Fred. I may look a little rough around the edges, but this is my favorite type of reel.
All meat and potatoes.
I would have like to put newer rings on, but dealing with these, the older reels with newer rings don't fit near as well. The fit on these is the best I've seen.
I'll get it out to you and like you tell so many others here. No Charge. ;)

Life is Good!

Shark Hunter

Quote from: sdlehr on December 04, 2015, 08:31:49 PM
You may be able to drill a hole in your work surface so that the spindle fits in it and the edge of the reel is flush with the table top except where it is misaligned, then lay a small piece of wood over top of the metal and give it a few wacks until it is flush with the table top all the way around. Beats shelling out a bunch of $ for a new spool. If it bent when dropped it ought not require too much force to bend it back. It's not going to damage the reel's integrity to have it straightened. Plus, it's a cool story.
Sid,
Its funny you said that, because that is exactly what I did.
I don't know if you have ever held a 12/0, but the spool is mighty heavy.
Once I had it level with the bench, I took a 1x2 and started tapping. Then I put down some really good hits.
It didn't seem to phase it. I put down the wood and hit it directly with the hammer and saw immediate results. A couple more whacks and it is usable again. Not pretty, but it will do.
Life is Good!

foakes

Beautiful, Daron --

Shows to go ya --

When in doubt -- just get a bigger hammer!

Thanks,

Best,

Fred

BTW -- Your handle is scheduled to arrive 12/07/15 -- according to PO tracking.
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Maxed Out

Hey Daron, I've always wanted a 14/0.

Can you start a thread titled "14/0 for Ted" ?? wink wink ;) ;) Daron, did I mention you are one heck of a nice guy.
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Dominick

Quote from: Max Doubt on December 05, 2015, 03:51:10 AM
 Hey Daron, I've always wanted a 14/0.

Can you start a thread titled "14/0 for Ted" ?? wink wink ;) ;) Daron, did I mention you are one heck of a nice guy.
Nice guy?  Heck he is terrific.  Start a thread with my name.   ;) ;) ;) Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Shark Hunter

Fred deserves this reel. Of all the fixes, builds and parts donations this guy has done.
He doesn't even have a Big Boy. He does now.
I wish I could be there to see his face when he sees the sheer size of one of these Monsters. I Love them! ;D
Just paying it forward. ;)
Life is Good!

Jerseymic

Daron,

It won't be too long now buddy, keep her warm ;)

Mike

Shark Hunter

I got you Mike.
I need to find the perfect 14/0 Brass spool for you.
I know you will accept no substitute. ;)
Life is Good!

Jerseymic

coastal_dan

Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

sdlehr

Daron, what's a guy in N Kentucky doing with all those Senators?
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector