Aluminum Jig Master side plate sets

Started by Cortez_Conversions, December 05, 2015, 08:10:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PacRat

When you get that freespool knock and you don't want to move the spool any further (and you've already tweaked your jack tabs); you can stone the end of your pinion a bit on the notched end. I just went trough this with an old Pro Gear. I took a couple of thousandths straight off the end and polished it up and she was very quiet afterwards.
-Mike

Alto Mare

Quote from: Yogi_fish808 on March 17, 2016, 04:32:22 AM

I had this problem too with the 5:1 gears and the Tiburon Spool. Mine was a Yellowfin spool and simply would not allow to main/pinion gears to mesh and resulted in major binding/skipping under load. Frank the reel guru on Facebooks 808SC has said it's a very common issue with Tib spools as the spindles were machined a touch thicker and the shoulders are a bit taller/thicker too. First, forget the 5:1 Black Gears, they aren't going to work properly with the Tib spool no matter how much tuning and work you put in. I have the exact same SS internals on a Newell 300C jigmaster (except I'm using a newell spool vs Tiburon) and the 5:1's work awesome...so the issue is the Tib spool and BP 5:1 gears simply don't work well together.

Issues I had were probably similar to a few people's projects. These were as follows:
-Spool spindle not clearing pinion (would not fit over the spool shaft)
-After sanding down spindle for clearance through pinion the spindle shoulders were hitting the pinion during freespool.
-Couldn't center the spool (pushed far to the clicker side, with edge of lip almost showing).
Hopefully the solution I found thru trial/error saves you more headaches and helps out. It may not be what other guys would recommend but it's worked for me and has already allowed the reel to muscle in a 5'+ gray reef shark.

The obvious 1st thing to try was sanding the spindle shaft to match the clearance of the stock penn spool. Wet sanded w/ fine grit, oiled steel wool, Nevr-Dull to a mirror polish. Sanded down the shoulders/beveled them a little more. Pinion can now slide over shaft and engage the spool, great.

The next issue that came up was while attempting to cast an 8oz lead w/ bait the spindle shoulders would hit/vibrate like crazy off the pinion, killing free spool. Still the clearance between the spindle shoulders and pinion were so bad I had to have the spool super far off center, almost all the way to the left.

Here's what I've come up with that has her sorted out nicely. Casts very smoothly, spool is centered, pinion/spindle shift into freespool/retrieve fine. To be clear along with the Cortez plates I'm using a Tiburon YFS kit, Gen 1 SS sleeve, BP SS bridge/yoke/eccentric, Penn Steel 4:1 main and pinion w/ Bryan's 5+1 and a delrin undergear. Not sure if it will work with a different combo of aftermarket and stock parts, but it should.

I noticed rub marks on the center edge of the pinion after trying to make this reel work. So I chamfered the edges of the pinion and also took a round needle file (a dremel would work too) and made a tapered round channel in the center lined up with the hole, smoothed the edges out with fine grit sandpaper.

Hopefully this helped, Aloha!

Yogi,
did you shorten the two bridge screws that I've marked with the arrows? If you didn't, you might want to check the inner side of the spool for any rub marks. The lower screws would do fine as they are

Also, did you do anything to one of the dog on the Pro Challenger bridge plate? On some custom made parts, tolerance is all over, yes even accurate plates vary.
It would be an easy having parts that works on anything, but then you would be dealing other issues. personally I like it this way, I do not mind a little fine tuning here and there.
Good tip on polishing the spool shaft so the pinion slides nicely, all my reels always get the same treatment and should be done by all, all the times.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

sdlehr

Quote from: Alto Mare on March 16, 2016, 09:02:45 PM

You learn quick Sid,  at the rate you're going, you'll be showing us how its done in no time  ;)
Thanks, Sal. That's what happens when you get to learn from the best!

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

bluefish69

I spoke with Alan C last week before I start my little project. He said sometimes the Double Dogs on the SS Bridge Plate are to thick & have to be sanded.
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Maxed Out

Wow Yogi, that is one heck of a beautiful eye pooping stretched out red racer you've got there. Love it !!

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Yogi_fish808

Sal, the spool thankfully doesn't rub on the bridge screws, but ill shorten them to be safe. I did file down the dog as you discussed in another thread.

Aloha,
Kyle

Alto Mare

Very good Kyle. Not all spool will rub, yours appears to have lots of room there. But, its always a good idea to have the screws flush with the plate.
That's a nice reel you got there, enjoy it.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Cortez_Conversions

Yes, I am aware of the auction listing for the Jiggy Plates, and yes I'm pretty sure I know who it is.
Thanks to those who have messaged me about it.
So here's my take on it:
We live in a free market society. Anyone can buy and sell what they want, at whatever price they want.
I built and sold them for a price that was fair and profitable for me. Once I sell it, I have no say in it's future.
I sell things for more than I paid for them all the time, as do most of you. I agree that a 100%+ mark up is steep, but that doesn't mean it will sell at that price either.
The only issue I have with the listing is the seller is presuming to know my build schedule and trying to justify his price by the perceived
scarcity.
If you really need a set of plates at that price, I'll take it as a compliment!
Tom
Visit: cortezconversions.com
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal

steelhead_killer

I offered him $108.00 + shipping

Quote from: Cortez_Conversions on March 18, 2016, 03:21:21 PM
Yes, I am aware of the auction listing for the Jiggy Plates, and yes I'm pretty sure I know who it is.
So here's my take on it:
We live in a free market society. Anyone can buy and sell what they want, at whatever price they want.
I built and sold them for a price that was fair and profitable for me. Once I sell it, I have no say in it's future.
I sell things for more than I paid for them all the time, as do most of you. I agree that a 100%+ mark up is steep, but that doesn't mean it will sell at that price either.
The only issue I have with the listing is the seller is presuming to know my build schedule and trying to justify his price by the perceived
scarcity.
Tom

><)))">

garking84

Yup, that's what really got to me. He is claiming that you are not going to make any more  of these plates. How would he know what your future plans are.

sdlehr

Quote from: PacRat on March 17, 2016, 05:46:06 AM
When you get that freespool knock and you don't want to move the spool any further (and you've already tweaked your jack tabs); you can stone the end of your pinion a bit on the notched end. I just went trough this with an old Pro Gear. I took a couple of thousandths straight off the end and polished it up and she was very quiet afterwards.
-Mike
Thanks. A little light bulb just lit up over my head. I never thought of messing with the jack tabs.....  ;D

Sid
Sid Lehr

Alto Mare

I wouldn't mess with the tabs on the Pro Challenger's jacks, those are stamped to perfection.

Sal

Maxed Out

Yep, don't mess with the jack

We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Three se7ens

Quote from: Cortez_Conversions on March 18, 2016, 03:21:21 PM
So here's my take on it:
scarcity.
Tom

I saw some of my handles on ebay a while back, with knobs already installed.  My wife and I had a little laugh about it because anyone could order a handle from me, and a knob from ebay, pay shipping on both, and still come out cheaper than this auction.  I still got my price for the handles though, so I couldnt complain. 

sdlehr

Quote from: Alto Mare on March 18, 2016, 08:45:18 PM
I wouldn't mess with the tabs on the Pro Challenger's jacks, those are stamped to perfection.

Sal
I was thinking about one or two of my Penn conventionals that sometimes have that little knock during free spool; instead of shimming to the left from the start. My Pro Challenger jack was not the problem.....

Sid
Sid Lehr