Aluminum Jig Master side plate sets

Started by Cortez_Conversions, December 05, 2015, 08:10:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdlehr

Trying to understand why removing so little has any effect - was it not planar and contacting the bridge plate and binding before grinding? I don't yet have my SS Pro Challenger internals....

Sid
SE FL
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

PacRat

Sid,
The dog was slightly contacting the vertical edge the recess. The tolerances are very tight on both the plate and the bridge so removing just a couple of thousandths in just the right place goes a long way to smoothing things up. Just take a little off the corner of the dog.

Three se7ens

Quote from: Alto Mare on January 06, 2016, 11:00:13 PM
Tom, I believe you made a boo-boo on these plates, these are better than some of the new stuff out there.

plate, spool and frame are playing together nicely, this is as close you're going to get to perfection.

Sal

Sorry, no idea why it keeps going sideway.

I couldnt see the video, but when I gave mine a test spin, I got tired of waiting on it to stop, so I put it back on the shelf and walked away. It just kept going and going...

Tom, these are exceptional, as always.  And I can fully appreciate what it actually takes to get tolerances and fits like that. 

Alto Mare

Quote from: BryanC on January 05, 2016, 04:24:20 PM
I completed my two yesterday.  They both have Penn steel gears (I prefer the 4:1 ratio), SS gear sleeves, Black Pearl double dog bridge/yoke/jack, & Bryan Young's 5+1 drag kits.  The black 500 has a SS spool and an aftermarket (Ebay) handle/knob.  The green & silver 501 has a Motive Fabrication handle arm & drag star, and an EVA knob that I got from someone on another forum.

Here are a couple pics:

Those look nice Bryan, the handle on the left does look better though, maybe because it's named after one of the members here ;D ...enjoy them.
Sal

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

BryanC

Quote from: Alto Mare on January 07, 2016, 11:20:01 AM
Those look nice Bryan, the handle on the left does look better though, maybe because it's named after one of the members here ;D ...enjoy them.
Sal

I agree.  "Sal's Handle" is very nice.  Here is a photo that shows it better:

BryanC

Quote from: Reel 224 on January 07, 2016, 02:12:38 PM
I'm not if it matters but I have my curved star the opposite direction as your green 501 reel Bryan.

Joe

I don't know if there is a right or wrong way with these ones.  Seems like it is just a matter of personal preference.

cbar45

Sal's handles are awesome, I purchased some last month from Motive Fab and couldn't be any more pleased..

RowdyW

Quote from: BryanC on January 07, 2016, 03:06:58 PM
Quote from: Reel 224 on January 07, 2016, 02:12:38 PM
I'm not if it matters but I have my curved star the opposite direction as your green 501 reel Bryan.

Joe

I don't know if there is a right or wrong way with these ones.  Seems like it is just a matter of personal preference.
I think it looks better when the curve of the star flows the same direction as the curve of the handle arm. Forward flow just looks more artistic.

sdlehr

Quote from: PacRat on January 07, 2016, 01:36:49 AM
Sid,
The dog was slightly contacting the vertical edge the recess. The tolerances are very tight on both the plate and the bridge so removing just a couple of thousandths in just the right place goes a long way to smoothing things up. Just take a little off the corner of the dog.
Thanks PacRat. I don't have one here to look at (yet).

Sid
SE FL
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

PacRat

Okay, I figured out some of the tolerance issues. Today I took a PC double dog bridge from a 500 with plastic sideplates and tried it in one of Tom's new sideplates. I gave the sleeve a spin with no gears installed and there was a very minimal bind, much less than my previous build. The only variable was the gear sleeve. Today I was using a 1st Gen coarse thread sleeve and the dog contact was almost undetectable. The previous build used a 2nd Gen fine thread sleeve, this one bound up enough that I felt it needed attention before proceeding.  I did a side by side comparison and sure enough the 2nd Gen sleeve is slightly larger across the ratchet teeth...enough to cause binding. I still dressed up the dog for the 1st Gen sleeve and it became very smooth. I marked the dog with ink before stoning so that you can see exactly where I removed metal. It doesn't take much to make a big difference in smoothness at the crank.

swill88

Alto Mare

PacRat, sorry I don't know your actual name ::) ;D
Thanks for checking those for us, most don't realize how much work goes into it at times, so we can make it easier for others.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Tightlines667

Quote from: Alto Mare on January 08, 2016, 12:15:33 AM

Sal

BTW Sal... his actual name is 'Mike'  ;)
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

PacRat

I've been pretty lazy about contributing up until now.. I started to feel guilty about how much the rest of you contribute. I've learned a lot from you guys. I also learned to appreciate that it does take extra time and effort to document this stuff and for that I'd like to thank all of you. I'll try to step up and start pulling my weight around here.
-Mike

PacRat

Quote from: Alto Mare on January 08, 2016, 12:15:33 AM
Thanks for checking those for us, most don't realize how much work goes into it at times, so we can make it easier for others.

Sal

Sal,
If you ever saw my workspace you would know why I chose the handle 'PacRat'...well that and being from the Pacific coast.
-Mike