Advice needed - Goliath grouper around Singer Island, FL

Started by Richardr, December 07, 2015, 10:00:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richardr

Hello
I'm going to Singer Island FL approx 12/21-1/3. I'll have access to car so a 3-4hrs drive to be able to fish is ok. I don't know what species one can expect to catch this time of year, but I would like to fish for Goliath Grouper. If that is not possible, other species could be tarpon, cobia, red drum or sharks. I don't want to go "off shore" trolling, but prefer bait fishing or throwing artificial baits.
Please advice

Thanks
Richard

conchydong

Singer Island at that time of year is one of the Sailfish capitals of the world. Your best bet for near shore Goliaths would be on the west coast of Florida. There are some on the east coast but are generally found on shipwrecks that are popular dive sites and the fish have become "pets" for the most part.
Although the mullet run is over, you can still find Tarpon and Sharks where the bait is. Not sure how good the Redfishing would be in the intracoastal near Riviera Beach but a hour or two north in the Indian River area it is better.

Cobia would be found over the deeper wrecks but more of a incidental catch this time of year. In the Spring, they follow massive schools of Rays migrating north along the beaches and can be targeted specifically.

If I were you I would probably find a boat to take you kite fishing with live bait  along a edge.  Usually not really a far run at all and Sails, Kings, Dolphinfish, Blackfin Tuna, Sharks, Wahoo and many other species are a possibility.

Others can chime in with their thoughts.

Richardr

conchydong, thank you for your input. Can you recommend any skipper/captain for the kite fishing you mention, and what is your guesstimate how much it costs for a day fishing (boat, gas, fishing gear, license included)? We'll be two guys fishing.
The kite fishing you mention is new to me. I that some kind of live bait technique where you use a ballon or sail/kite to drift your bait near the surface?

Reason why Goliath was our top pick was simply because it looks so brutal how you catch them. I watched some Youtube clips from BlacktipH, and the fishing looks awesome. I also get the impression that you are more or less guaranteed to catch or at least hook up a goliath. True or not I don't know, and I also don't know when the prime season is to catch them.

thanks
Richard 

conchydong

Richard, here is a link to many of the charter boats out of Sailfish Marina on Singer Island. I  prefer the more "hands on" standup fishing off of a center console over chair fishing off of a sport fisher. That's just me though. Some prefer creature comforts. I'd check out some of the websites and you can get a idea of costs. If you do choose to kite fish the live bait will be extra. http://www.sailfishmarina.com/charter-fleet/

If you really have your heart set on a Goliath, just google Goliath Grouper charters and pick someone between Cape Coral and Tampa. A few hours drive, if you choose that route.

Remember, the wind can get strong and last for days this time of year, so nothing is a given.

Scott

natch!

I agree with conchydog. Kite fishing off a center console like they do in Florida is a kick.
My brother lives in Lighthouse Point, a little south of where you'll be, and has a nice cc. I usually go in late January/early February. If the weather cooperates, it's a quick run out, fly the kites and your fishing. If a cold front has just gone through it seems the sailfish go by headed south one after another. Some trips my arms feel like their going to fall off after less than half a day. If you find floating debris you probably have dolphin (dorado, mahi). There's also kingfish, wahoo etc. It's active fishing, not just trolling around.

Jack

Richardr

On location now. Weather is a bit windy, but according to the forecast will get better. Meanwhile I need to check out different skipper options and enjoy food/drinks...

Br
Richard