Longbeach 66 modification?

Started by sdlehr, December 19, 2015, 04:59:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdlehr

Picked up a Longbeach 66 on Ebay to keep my 68 company, and when I opened 'er up I found what I believe are non-standard SS gears with a 5-drag stack. The schematic from Scott's shows a 3-stack, and I think these are SS - they sure aren't brass. Can anyone tell me what this is made of? I checked, this could be a 500 main gear and pinion, the gear sleeves are interchangeable.....
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

RowdyW

Most likely the previous owner removed the (3) 6-113 CF washers & replaced them with (5) 6-60 CF washers & put in (1) extra eared & (1) extra keyed metal washer. That's the way to upgrade the drags in a LB 66,67, & 68. Divide the number of teeth on the pinion into the number of teeth on the main to get the ratio. If it's around 2.4 to 1 they are probably std. gears. 500 gears don't fit a LB. Early models had heat treated steel main gears & later models had bronze main gears. The pinions in both are s/s.

sdlehr

Rudy, you are a freakin' font of information! :D Surprisingly there were no CF washers after the upgrade; there were two leather drag washers and 3 red ones made of the same material as the under-gear washer! Not sure what they were thinking.... So I guess I've got an early one - the gear ratio is 2.3:1

I guess I'm surprised that Penn would manufacture a main gear with enough metal to expand to a 5-stack; that could have been seen as wasteful back then.... and that's one thing Penn was not! I wonder why they didn't offer it as a 5-stack from the beginning?

Thanks

Sid
Sid Lehr

RowdyW

Sid, the gear was designed for (3) 6-113 washers which are thicker then the 6-60 washers. By using the thinner washers is why you can get a 5 stack in the gear. Maybe Penn figured that a 3 stack was all the reel could handle. Don't forget they have to garrentee their product. Switching things around is what we reel hotrodders do. Just look at a 113H that has 20-23 lbs of drag from the factory is now hotrodded to 50+ lbs.

sdlehr

Thanks Rudy. I've seen those drag washers. Seem to be made of asbestos or something similar (I've not seen HT-100 washers that thick), they're in the Senator 6/0 I got recently..... Now I get the picture. It's hard to tell the thickness of the washer on the schematic..... but now I know what to do to upgrade the drag stack on the 6/0. I presume the stock gears can handle it?
Sid Lehr

Shark Hunter

That deep steel main gear is a good score Sid.
Like Rudy said, an upgrade to a 5 stack with 6-60 washers is the way I did it too.
These are usually in the older models.
Does your reel have the picture plate?
Life is Good!

Newell Nut

X2 on lucky you got the deep gear. You will like the 5 stack upgrade with CFs and SS washers.

sdlehr

Daron, mine does have a picture left plate, but not the one you have. I've got the skinny sailfish picture on mine.(How many variations were there?)??
Sid Lehr

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

sdlehr

Daron, I lied. I got two reels last week, and it is the Senator 6/0 with the skinny sailfish picture. The 66 has no picture on the side plate. We went to a Christmas party last night and I saw your question when I got home, and I just wasn't on top of my game after the party and the libations.... :-\ :-\ :-\ My 68 has the same lighthouse picture on the left plate as yours does.
Sid Lehr

Maxed Out

Sid, that picture plate was discontinued in early 50's on all the long beach models. A few lingered in parts bins, but for the most part, if you have a 66,67, or 68 with the picture plate it is from the late 30's thru about 1950/51, and yep, those were steel gear years, and those were the ones with outer access drags. I have a few of those tall gears sitting collecting dust from parts reels I've obtained.

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

sdlehr

Thanks Daron, John and Ted. I've got what I need to upgrade the drag stack, everything is soaking in Simple Green right now. I got this reel dirt cheap, $30 including shipping. It came with a cracked head plate (did I mention that earlier in this thread?). I'm in search of a replacement. I've decided not to send the whole thing back, even though the Ebay seller would have taken it. I'm going to reassemble it temporarily with the broken head plate just so I don't lose any parts.

Sid
Sid Lehr

Maxed Out

Hello again Sid, I had exact same dilemma a few years back and discovered that a newer headplate that DOESN"T have outer drag access will not work on your reel.

You will need another older style head plate with outer drag access. I'm sure there's a few guys on here that could help you locate that headplate without emptying your savings account. (Fred Foakes, or Handi)

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

sdlehr

Sheesh, I think I did it again. It's not the Long Beach head plate I need, it's a Senator 115 (edit, it's the 114, not the 115) 6/0, black, with externally-accessible drags. Maybe I just need to simplify things and just deal with one reel at a time....
Sid Lehr

foakes

Hi Sid --

Assuming you mean a 114 6/0 black head side with the larger opening for external drag switch out?

Or, do you mean a 9/0 115?

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.