Rare 12/0

Started by Shark Hunter, December 20, 2015, 04:33:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

I scored a rare 12/0 last week. It has a unique Chrome brass spool with a giant arbor.
It had a pretty nasty green ring where the line met the spool.
After about an hour polishing with Nevr-Dull, It looks pretty good now.
Life is Good!

The Great Maudu

I got to see this reel and meet the mighty Shark Hunter last night. It has the loudest clicker I have ever heard. He installed some mods on my 12/0 as I watched and learned from a master. I was also shown The Godfather, his massive 18/0 Everol. I had a great time meeting Daron and you can't find a finer man. Thanks again my friend.

sdlehr

I probably looked at that Ebay listing last week and didn't notice the different spool.... good eye, Daron!
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Shark Hunter

Quote from: The Great Maudu on December 20, 2015, 11:40:23 AM
I got to see this reel and meet the mighty Shark Hunter last night. It has the loudest clicker I have ever heard. He installed some mods on my 12/0 as I watched and learned from a master. I was also shown The Godfather, his massive 18/0 Everol. I had a great time meeting Daron and you can't find a finer man. Thanks again my friend.
Anytime Mike. ;)
Life is Good!

Shark Hunter

I found another one of these last week. I tore it open this weekend and it looks better than the first.
The spool polished up really nice with some chrome polish and some Nevr-Dull.
I am in need of some more sleeve shims to complete. They should be here today from Mcmaster Carr.
I am on a month long stretch of 7pm to 7am night shifts to train a fellow employee on. That doesn't stop me from doing what I love to do. ;)
Life is Good!

Shark Hunter

Twins ;D

Life is Good!

Maxed Out

Wow Daron, I love those spools. Looks like you found a couple nice ones. :o  They seem a bit beefier than the common cast bronze spool.
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

broadway

Very cool, D.  Ted, first brought these to my attention recently, and you found two of the nicest ones out there!
Anyone know the years these were made or why they were made and discontinued. I would think a reel of that size would benefit from the weight savings.
Thanks for showing us what's out there, bro
Dom

Shark Hunter

I lucked out on these. As far as the weight savings. I think that is a wash. These spools are heavier than the traditional chrome over brass. I have no idea when they were made. When I first saw one, I thought it was aluminum. It may look like it, but its not. Its Chromed Heavy Metal. ;)
Life is Good!

broadway

That's right... I forgot you mentioned that.  What do you think about the more squared off part of the outside of the spool (near the inner trim ring)?
Thanks
Dom

Tightlines667

Nice work, as always Daron.

This reminds me of the first one of these spools I stumbled across...

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=9068.0

I think they may have been transition spools before Penn began making the aluminum ones.  Be interesting to compare demensions to see if they are the same as the aluminum ones, as I suspect.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

surfcaster

Nice, but they can't be that rare if you have 2 of them. ;D  

Army_of_One

Is it too much to ask for you to bring down your collection when you come?  ;D
Another day in Paradise!

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!