Chile Rellenos

Started by ChileRelleno, January 01, 2016, 10:14:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChileRelleno

Chile Rellenos

6-12+ Large chiles
several traditional varieties to choose from, the most commonly available is the Pablano.  In a pinch you can use a Hatch (popular in New Mexico), Anaheim or even Green Bell Pepper.

6-12+ Eggs
one egg for each chile works out perfectly.

Cheese
enough sliced or shredded to fill the chiles.
a good soft melting cheese is a must, a few good Mexican varieties are usually found in most large grocers.

Meat (optional)
shredded beef/chicken or crumbled sausage.

2 cups Flour

Roast chiles over high heat/direct flame to char and loosen skin.
Place in plastic bag to help steam the skin loose and make them easier to peel.
Peel, then you can make a slit in the side and either de-seed them or not.
Wash, dry and then you can fill with cheese (meat is an option).
Dust stuffed chiles in flour and set aside.
I use toothpicks to hold the chiles closed.

Separate whites from yolks, whip whites till stiff, then whisk yolks into whites.

Heat oil in skillet or fryer, in a skillet you need enough oil to cover at least half the chile.

Dip chile in egg batter, cover completely, fry till golden brown.

Sauce
1 can Rotel
1/2 stick of butter
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped bell pepper
1 heaping tsp minced garlic
sea salt, chile powder, cumin and season to taste.

Saute onion, bell pepper and garlic and seasonings in butter.
Add Rotel and simmer a few minutes.
Then I puree it in a blender and return to the pot and a low simmer.

Money Shot

Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

Classic Mako

So here I am taking a break from the shop, eating a bowl of microwaved canned chili and you have to post this!!!!!!!

Looks absolutely delicious!

Printing off the recipe, may make them tomorrow.

BMITCH

I was soooo waiting for this recipe..looks fantastic. I'm making these next week👍🏻😉😎

Bob
luck is the residue of design.

conchydong

Awesome, looks like the key is in the batter by whipping the egg whites separately from the yolks almost into a meringue.
Thanks for sharing this recipe.

Scott

ChileRelleno

Quote from: conchydong on January 01, 2016, 11:04:29 PM
Awesome, looks like the key is in the batter by whipping the egg whites separately from the yolks almost into a meringue.
Thanks for sharing this recipe.

Scott
Actually, I like the whites whipped stiff, add fine/superfine sugar and you indeed have merigue.

Protip:
Let you eggs, or egg whites come to room temp.
This will enable you to much more quickly and easily whip the whites.
And keep your fingers out of the whites,oils on your skin can double the whipping time needed.

Thankfully I've a Pro-Grade mixer that makes such chores a breeze. ;)
Ragnar Benson:
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

steelhead_killer

One of my favorites!  This is going in the book!
><)))">

Alto Mare

I will try this soon, is this your signature dish John?
Thanks for sharing chef!
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

ChileRelleno

Quote from: Alto Mare on January 02, 2016, 12:22:29 AM
I will try this soon, is this your signature dish John?
Thanks for sharing chef!
Nah, these are just a favorite food of mine, hence my nick.

My signature dish is my Enchiladas Verdes de Pollo.
I believe I've posted the recipe, sans pics, in here.
Ragnar Benson:

swill88

The chille relleno and the refried beans are THE TESTS for rating a Mexican food restaurant in California.

ChileRelleno

Quote from: swill88 on January 02, 2016, 01:06:18 AM
The chille relleno and the refried beans are THE TESTS for rating a Mexican food restaurant in California.
For me the frijoles y arroz was always the litmus test.
Doesn't matter what recipe, just if they were good/bad, those two sides are pillars of the cuisine.

Ragnar Benson:

ChileRelleno

Quote from: BMITCH on January 01, 2016, 10:57:25 PM
I was soooo waiting for this recipe..looks fantastic. I'm making these next week👍🏻😉😎

Bob
That sounds like a solid plan.
Ragnar Benson:

swill88

Thanks for that tutorial... I've got the tools and now, the knowledge.

STRIPER LOU

Those are one of my favorites and they look amazing! During the service when I was in Colorado, there was a place called El Nepal. You were actually eating in a Mexican family's living room. The food was to die for.
Everything was cooked to order so I would order one thing at a time. Most times I would stay there for hours. A friend tried to locate it for me about 20 or so years ago and found it was long gone.
Just as well because if it was still around I would have had to figure out an excuse to get there!!!!
Thanks for sharing,  ..  Lou