Vinegar for corrosion removal? Really?

Started by Marlinmate, January 02, 2016, 03:24:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Hall

Quote from: bluefish69 on January 07, 2016, 01:27:45 AM
It's the Natural Guilty Look on our faces that gives us away. Ted I have you beat by 16yrs. @ 46Yrs.

Mike

You my friend may just be the master at marriage on our little forum site!
I'm not far behind you, will be 43 next August, but I never know when or for what I'm in trouble for, all I know s I'm in trouble and If I know what's good for me I will come up with something special for her birthday at the end of this month!

Lunker Larry

You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?

TomT

sdlehr

Usually, in most discussions on duration of marriage,  I'm the leader at 36 years.... you guys must be really old.... ;D

Sid
Married 36 years, going on 100.
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

TomT

Sid,

I can't speak for the others, but I am just a kid--will be 75 this month!!  ;D ;)
TomT

bluefish69

I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

sdlehr

60 the end of this month. Born on leap-year, I'll have a real birthday this year, but technically only my 15th. Either way I'm the youngster in this battle of marriage duration, and I was just kidding you guys about being really old, because I knew you had to be older than me married all those years (of bliss, I'm sure).
Sid Lehr

RowdyW

This almost looks like a bid war on age.  ;D  I'll throw my hat in the ring. I'll be 76 on Friday. Who is the oldest reel repairman or woman on this sight?     Rudy

sdlehr

Quote from: sdlehr on January 02, 2016, 04:56:29 AM
I've been using CLR Bath and Kitchen Cleaner and a brass brush on the brass in my last few reels - and it's the bomb! I use the CLR on the chrome, also, but not with the brass brush. It removes the verdigris much more rapidly than the vinegar does. It takes literally seconds to remove oxidation that used to take considerable polishing effort.

Heh, quoting my own post. I bought another bottle of this stuff at Home Depot, and it smells differently and doesn't work as quickly as the bottle purchased probably a year or more ago. I'm sure they've changed the formula, and it still does a really good job of removing the oxidized surface on the metal, but I'm not as amazed with this presumed new formulation as I was with the older....
Sid Lehr

BryanC

I picked up a 249 recently to put on a shelf as kind of a decoration.  I'd like to clean it up and was thinking about soaking the metal parts in vinegar, but I'm not sure about the handle.  It has a wooden knob.  Will vinegar damage the knob?  Is there a better way to clean up the handle without harming the wooden knob?  The metal part of the handle has a bit of green corrosion on it.

FatTuna

Quote from: BryanC on January 13, 2016, 07:58:41 PM
I picked up a 249 recently to put on a shelf as kind of a decoration.  I'd like to clean it up and was thinking about soaking the metal parts in vinegar, but I'm not sure about the handle.  It has a wooden knob.  Will vinegar damage the knob?  Is there a better way to clean up the handle without harming the wooden knob?  The metal part of the handle has a bit of green corrosion on it.

I wouldn't put the wood in the vinegar. Wood is porous and I can't imagine it would be good for the finish on it.

You could do a shallow bath and just wrap the knob up really well.

sdlehr

Don't put the wooden knob in Simple Green. I learned the hard way; it removed the finish, didn't harm the wood. Maybe wrap a cloth soaked in vinegar around the crank and keep it from contacting the knob. In vinegar I find that 2 hours provides the same results as much longer; in other words, I've never needed to soak metal in vinegar longer than two hours. Maybe I'll find an exception one day. So far, so good.

Sid
SE FL
Sid Lehr

cbar45

Quote from: sdlehr on January 13, 2016, 03:05:29 PM
Quote from: sdlehr on January 02, 2016, 04:56:29 AM
I've been using CLR Bath and Kitchen Cleaner and a brass brush on the brass in my last few reels - and it's the bomb! I use the CLR on the chrome, also, but not with the brass brush. It removes the verdigris much more rapidly than the vinegar does. It takes literally seconds to remove oxidation that used to take considerable polishing effort.

Heh, quoting my own post. I bought another bottle of this stuff at Home Depot, and it smells differently and doesn't work as quickly as the bottle purchased probably a year or more ago. I'm sure they've changed the formula, and it still does a really good job of removing the oxidized surface on the metal, but I'm not as amazed with this presumed new formulation as I was with the older....

Maybe the company dudes got scared after learning that Daron's co-workers use CLR in their coffee machine... :D

Chad

Shark Hunter

I work with some serious Hillbilly's Chad. I am from Kentucky. :D
I am more of a City Boy, but you only have to drive about 10 miles south to hear a whole different language.
Life is Good!

sdlehr

Just as long as I don't hear the words, "Can you squeal like a pig?"...
Sid Lehr