Vinegar for corrosion removal? Really?

Started by Marlinmate, January 02, 2016, 03:24:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Hall

I been using a vinegar solution to clean the coolers for my boat as well as the propellor and outdrive wash tube.
Mix 1 part vinegar with 2 parts water in my big ole crab boiler, drop the part in bring to a boil and everything just disappears, rinse well with fresh water and a light brushing and presto, clean as a whistle.  Time will tell if I'm damaging the cooling tubes I guess but at least they're getting unclogged and cleaned out.

Lunker Larry

Quote from: johndtuttle on June 13, 2016, 06:49:03 PM
Quote from: wltklah on June 13, 2016, 06:57:15 AM
Can I use vinegar to clean the rust of this main gear from shimano Trinidad A? I clean the reel after every trip with tap water and the gear is rusted on the back side only for unknown reason. I am not sure what kind of coating is on the gear thought, so will it be ok to soak the gear in vinegar?

When you rinse your reel in fresh water you don't rinse the internals. :)

Regardless, the fine patina that you see is from salt but is only cosmetic. Well grease all internal parts and don't worry about it.

I know this was posted a while back but just picked up on the statement on the patina on the gears being from salt. I only work on fresh water reels and I see this all the time.
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?

sdlehr

Quote from: Lunker Larry on January 02, 2017, 02:46:01 AM
I know this was posted a while back but just picked up on the statement on the patina on the gears being from salt. I only work on fresh water reels and I see this all the time.
There are salts in fresh water also, just not as much. My guess is they are due to that salt, not the type you are accustomed to thinking of on this forum.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

pointbob

anyone ever try vinegar and a hydrogen peroxide mix? 50/50
Patience comes to those who wait