Very odd Ryobi Adventure 110, old style reel, where could I find specs

Started by Reinaard van der Vossen, February 02, 2011, 06:39:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reinaard van der Vossen

Since I picked up fishing a couple of months ago (after a couple of decenia of fishing inactivity) I have investigated all the boxes in the garage and found a reel in a box. I've searched the internet but there is almost no information about this reel. I know the fishing division of Ryobi was taken over by another firm (which I found) but their site is in japanese. I did find electric reels of the Ryobi brand on internet but nothing compares to what I got.

I remember the reel from some 30 years ago when my father used the reel to attack a giant catfish (the european ones) which he believed was in the lake. It was combined with an 80 lbs big game rod which is of the famous English brand "Hardy" who makes only fly rods today. I also have the rod in the garage.

The reel is stainless steel for the largest part and has a star drag. It has a special rol which is seemingly a sort of brake for the freespool allowing some casting ???

As the reel is over 2,8 kg (more than 6 pounds) this seems odd to me.

Would anybody have some more information about this reel than I would be happy to learn.

Is the reel still usable or is it better to forget using it. The reel itself is in absolute mint condition.

Here is a picture of the reel, an omotovs10 is next to it which would indicate the size of the reel

alantani

an old japanese reel.  lots of stainless steel.  it will need a carbon fiber drag upgrade, but it should be alot of fun to fish with again!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bryan Young

That is one interesting reel for sure.  Am curious exactly how it performs.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

like a wide spool 3/0 with a levelwind.  same small drag stack.  lots of stainless steel is why the reel still looks good.  wish penn would have done the same thing. 

Bryan Young

A lot of info on the new reels indicate that they are using stainless steel on their China made reels.  Alan, they are listening, but they had to move to China to meet your demand and still provide a reel at a reasonable cost.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

someone told me that the jigmaster that is made in china right now can be boxed up for $7. 

Bryan Young

Quote from: alantani on February 04, 2011, 04:36:31 AMsomeone told me that the jigmaster that is made in china right now can be boxed up for $7. 

Wow, what a profit margin.  We need to find something related to reels with that kind of profit margin so that we can retire and go fishing every other day.  Need the other days to smoke the fish, dry the fish,...

Reinaard van der Vossen

Quote from: alantani on February 04, 2011, 04:06:22 AM
like a wide spool 3/0 with a levelwind.  same small drag stack.  lots of stainless steel is why the reel still looks good.  wish penn would have done the same thing. 

Alan,

I will open the reel and see what is inside.
I'm not sure wheter the reel should match the 80lb big game rod. From a size and weight perspective it might but I'm hesitating. It is spooled with a real heavy braided holow dacron which looks like it is 130lb plus

If I would have a use for a 80lb set of gear I'm not so sure that this reel is upto the task. It looks less heavy and solid than the penn international stuff but it might be stronger than a Penn Senator. I must say that as far as I can find that in real big game stuff it is all Penn Internationals, Shimano tiagra, accurate and everol but i don't know if that is correct.

I'm going for Blue's this summer for the first time but do not intend to take this rod and reel.

Roger

Roger

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."   Mark Twain

Reinaard van der Vossen

I finally had some spare time to take the reel apart.

I also took the reel to my local tackle shop. This is a freshwater tackle shop but one of the guys over there has been big game fishing quite some times. He said that the reel probably would work quite well if serviced and maybe with new drag washers etc. He indicated that I might want to get rid of the level wind and the casting roller brake. He would not be surprised if the "110" in the type number is an indication of the intended class (although 110 lbs is not a class)

With almost 3 kg the reel is significantly larger/heavier than a Penn Senator 116L and about as heavy as a Penn international two spead 80VSW.

When I showed him the rod he was almost freaking out. According to him it is a hand build custom 80LB rod of the English brand "Hardy". I will take pictures of the rod later

Here are the pictures of the reel (still with lousy camera :-\)

First picture is from the gear section. It is quite sturdy. Most of it look stainless steel with the large gearwheel being brass

Also the gear but dragwashers and brass gear removed. The red washer seems to be an pressed and oiled paper washer

The drag washers and washer shims. There are only 3 drag washers of wich it is hard to say which material is used. It looks liked it is some pressed material and the sides of the washers seem fragile.

I think i need new drag washers for the reel if I'm going to use it and could do with some advice on which material to use (carbontex or something different).
The washers are Od 32,5 mm; Id=18mm and the thickness of the dragwashers is 1,1 mm.

Does it makes sense to just replace the drag washers for new material same sized wahsers or should I try to change the drag stag for more washers. The reel is in absolute mint condition and looks like it is almost never used

I'm still not sure whether I'm doing the right thing. I you guys would go out fishing and needed 80LB gear would you still use this stuff?

alantani

the closest drag washer is a #6-116 ($2.90) / 16.55 x 32.69 x 1.36 / senator 116 black.  it's from this list.  http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=21.0  you will also need a carbon fiber washer to go under the main gear.  it's looks like this reel will deliver an absolute maximum of 20 pounds of drag.  i would say load it with straight 60# monofilament and set the drags to 18 pounds.  it's bigger than it appears in the photo.  i would strip off the old line and see if you have a three piece spool.  it might not handle that amount of stress.  this reel was probably built for 500 yards of 30# dacron and 10 pounds of drag. 

Reinaard van der Vossen

Thanks Alan for your reply,

Frankly, if that's what it is than that's what it is and I must should not forget that technology has advanced the last 30 years. The small VS 10 on the first picture right next to the Ryobi reel has about the same maximum drag. If I'm really after the biggies I should not use this reel and if I'm after the not so biggies than I already own an Omoto Vs10 and an Omoto Q16.

I can always consider whether its important enough to purchase an Omoto Q50 which probably has a already a drag more than 2 times the drag of the ryobi and will be smaller and lighter to fish at the same time.

alantani

i would think that one might be quite proud fishing with a reel as old as you were!   ;D

codhead

Quote from: Reinaard van der Vossen on February 26, 2011, 01:52:58 PM

When I showed him the rod he was almost freaking out. According to him it is a hand build custom 80LB rod of the English brand "Hardy". I will take pictures of the rod later

I'm interested in seeing the rod. I sincerely hope for your sake that it isn't built on a Hardy Fibatube blank, if it is I doubt you'll see anything approaching 80lb class
The older I get, the better I was

Reinaard van der Vossen

Codhead, there is no mention of fibatube or anything like it on the rod itself but on the label of the clothe cover it mentions "Fibalite". I don't know wheter this identical or similar as what you mentioned.

I will make pictures and post them here.