spool moving side to side

Started by ratagain, February 03, 2011, 10:14:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ratagain

Hello,I just picked up a 250 surfmaster,I notice the spool is moving side to side,when i put pressure on the clicker side it works,but as sone as i let off it does not work,also the handle spins forward and backwards,can this be caused by a bearing out?  Thanks

akfish

You've got a couple issues. The handle spinning forward and backwards means that your anti-reverse dog isn't working. This can be because the spring has slipped (easy fix) or perhaps because a small piece of plastic on the inside of the right side plate has cracked. That's a bigger and more expensive problem because you'll need to replace the side plate. As for the side to side spool slop, first see if you can adjust the left side end busing to remove the slop. If you can't then either or both of the end bushings are bad -- and easy and inexpensive fix because you can get the parts at mysticparts.com -- or one of the sideplates is swollen and you'll need a new sideplate. If it is just the bushing, remember to allow a tiny bit f side to side play when you rebuild the reel. Cranking down the left side busing too tight can cause the side plate to swell.

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Norcal Pescador

Akfish beat me to it but here's my $0.02 -
I see two issues. The spool going side-to-side 99% of the time is caused by the left side bearing [key #40] is not screwed in tight enough. When it is set correctly, the spool will not drag to a stop and there will be about .005" side-to-side play in spool movement. Or as Alan says, zero drag, zero end play. If there are no gaping holes in either side plate, your bearings [actually bushings] are there.
The second with the handle going forward or reverse means there is an issue with the dog [key #15] or the dog spring [key #14]; they are not doing their anti-reverse job.  Check out the schematic to see what parts I'm referring to. I gather you haven't opened up the reel yet.

https://www.mysticparts.com/Assets/images/pennparts/schematics/250.pdf

It's a fairly common and simple repair.

Here's a link to a tutorial you can use for the 250. Most Penn conventionals operate the same.
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=44.0

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

ratagain

You guys rock! I will tear it down and see what i come up with,By far the best info website out there. Cant wait to see Alan in Salem comming up. Thanks again

ratagain

Tore it down,My dog does not have a spring,It has a bent L clip of some sort? It says 15-60 on it? Im going to start looking on the site to find a link on how it goes.

Dominick

Yo Rob:  I'm Impressed ;D.  Good advice 8).  Ratagain that "L" shaped piece is the spring.  It slips in just above the dog.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Norcal Pescador

The 15-60 is the dog. Look at this tutorial on the 114H reel and compare your L-shaped piece to the one in the tutorial. If it's the same, follow the instructions.
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=208.0
While you've got the reel open, you could clean it up inside and lightly lube everything. Look in the tools board for info on lubricants.
Good luck! :)

Thanks, Dominick. Akfish pointed out some reversing problem possibilities I hadn't thought of.
Rob

Dominick

Akfish;  Congratulations, you have humbled Rob.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

ratagain

Im getting it,Slowly but getting it,It seems to only have one carbon drag disc is that right?

ratagain

Alright final put back together,I got the reel not to spin backwords all the way,It still spends back like a quarter turn,so its alot better,and the side plate was off or pulled away alittle,so the spool side to side is fixed,You guys were right on,So for someone who never thought about pulling a reel apart,and do what i just did,I thank you, And like i said you guys Rock!

Norcal Pescador

Quote from: ratagain on February 04, 2011, 05:11:32 AM
Im getting it,Slowly but getting it,It seems to only have one carbon drag disc is that right?
The drag system should have three metal washers alternating with three fiber washers.
Rob

ratagain

It does have the correct washers,after closer looking I found them,and understand inside of the reel alot better.I just fixed a penn 930 i have to,same thing the dog fell off.Had that 930 for years saying im going to send that thing off to get it fixed.Well thanks to everyone here i fixed it,Thanks

Bryan Young

Yeah.  To me, it's always a good feeling that I did it myself.  Now, where's the next reel that I need to maintain???
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D