The Penn Jigmaster 501 "Raven"

Started by steelhead_killer, January 22, 2016, 08:21:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maxed Out

Andy, That sure is a good looking reel from every angle. 8) 8) You have come a long way in a short time grasshopper.

I bet you already have plans for more....me too ;D ;D
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

steelhead_killer

Quote from: Max Doubt on February 02, 2016, 12:35:54 AM
   Andy, That sure is a good looking reel from every angle. 8) 8) You have come a long way in a short time grasshopper.

I bet you already have plans for more....me too ;D ;D

Picked up a Squidder 146 the other day.  Nice little reel.  Put some new drags, washers and drag sleeve in it.  Probably put a Tib frame on it if I can find a beater...

I wish the Cortez plates were still available, I would be doing three more right now!  Love those Jigmasters!  Thanks for the compliment!  I got all that I know now on Penn's from this site and the awesome folks willing to help!
><)))">

Reel 224

Andy: Very nice looking reel, Ruth loves the Purple and Black combination. It shows that there is no end to what you can do with the Cortez Convictions and Tib frame. Look at me! I starting to talk reel! ;D ;D

Joe  
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

thorhammer

Quote from: steelhead_killer on January 23, 2016, 12:27:42 AM
Thanks guys!  It is all because of your guidance and patience with the questions.  Next up I want to make a Surfmaster, 506 or a squidder 146

Squidder Jr is a cool reel.

Ron Jones

Baymaster is my fav. Anything that uses the 100 spool is cool.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

steelhead_killer

Thanks Reel224.  I'm learning.  And having fun with it!  What can be done to the Squidder 146 size reel?  I love the size, palm it easy.  Feels like I could cast it a mile.  I am a little hesitant to go too crazy trying to strengthen it too much.  SS Sleeve, new drags... has anyone tried to double dog one?
><)))">

thorhammer

As I recall by the time you frame up and ratchet up the drag the limiter becomes strength of gears, and it's a small, slow gear so you can only go so far.  That said, the Squidder has ground checked innumerable stripers and blues from the beach in stock form so how far do you need to take it...

Reel 224

Quote from: steelhead_killer on February 02, 2016, 06:33:34 AM
Thanks Reel224.  I'm learning.  And having fun with it!  What can be done to the Squidder 146 size reel?  I love the size, palm it easy.  Feels like I could cast it a mile.  I am a little hesitant to go too crazy trying to strengthen it too much.  SS Sleeve, new drags... has anyone tried to double dog one?

Andy: As far as I'm concerned you can go as far with the Squidder as parts will allow and budget. That is a nice reel to work on and I would be interested in building one myself in the future.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

MarkT

A Newell 220 is a tricked out Squidder 146.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

thorhammer

Andy, start a new thread on the 146 build....I recently acquired enough coffee can parts in a deal to build out five Squidders; I think one needs to get skinny..show us how it's done.

steelhead_killer

Quote from: thorhammer on February 02, 2016, 03:08:04 PM
Andy, start a new thread on the 146 build....I recently acquired enough coffee can parts in a deal to build out five Squidders; I think one needs to get skinny..show us how it's done.

Ok let's build one out...
><)))">

sdlehr

Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

foakes

Pretty hard to beat a Squidder Jr. With a solid frame and an aluminum spool, and good SS guts with greased CFs.

One caution on these tiny guys -- don't put too much larger of a handle on them.  They become unbalanced -- plus not that much torque is generally needed.  Maybe just a better grip knob.

Just my opinions.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Reel 224

I changed the handle and knob on my Cortes Conversion, the arm is a Motive Fab from Adam and the knob is Pro Challenger Alan C. See what you think.

Joe

steelhead_killer

Very nice!  How is that knob?  I have been snooping around it since it came out.  Look fab!
><)))">