Ocean City 251 Inductor

Started by Mattman NZ, January 25, 2016, 03:32:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mattman NZ

I've had this reel for a few years now and finally decided to tear it down -I think its from the mid to late 19-40s - Time to clean lube and fix anything that needs fixing - When I took the handle plate off for the 1st time it was covered in black grease like substance and the handle wouldn't turn verry well and the drag felt it was stuck on all the time no matter wether the star was in or out . Main shaft and main gear went into the vinegar pot for a few hours while I worked on the drag stack which was solid and came out in one piece - 3 leather washers were stuffed so I put them up against some spare 155l leather washers I had and the inside dia were the same but had to take  1.5mm off the outside leathers to fit them into the main gear - Took the magnet plate out to clean the mag plate adjuster  which moves the mag plate in or out - Cleaned ever thing and polished the metal drags lubed and assembled and was surprised how smooth it turns now .
Enjoy
Rgds
Matt...

The tail plate.

Inside handle plate and tail plate showing the magnets.

The spool.     

swill88

wow!  that's a beauty...thanks.  factory mags?

Tightlines667

Cool reel.  Nice job on the restoration!

Pulled the following off of the ORCA site...

"Inductor No.249,  SW  a 150 yd. size reel,  the No.250 and the No. 255 are both 200 yd. size reels and share the
  same size spool and reel foot,  the No.251 is a 250 yd. size reel with a wider spool."

http://www.oceancityreelphotos.com/ocean-city-salt-water-reels-named.html

"Ocean City "Inductor" a No.249,  a No.250, a No.251? and a No.255 Reels
  We do not have the descrition on the early Inductor No.249?   The next versions have the magnetic drag system.  The No.250 is a 200 yd. reel and does not have the level wind system like the No.255.  The No.251 has a larger spool capcity than the No.250 a 250 yd. reel.  Shown in the pictures here are the No.250 and the No.255.  Ads are from a 1955 OC catalog.   Pictures are courtesy of Ray Hodges,  Rick Heitman and John Elder."

The 1955 catalog boosts "Ideal for night fishing"
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Mattman NZ

Quote from: swill88 on January 25, 2016, 04:14:43 AM
wow!  that's a beauty...thanks.  factory mags?
Yes factory magged and thanks Tightlinea666 - that was a good read. This reel just came up for grabs here in New Zealand - looks in good shape too - 604D .

Rgds

Matt...

Tightlines667

That is a 4/0, post 1960, True Temper label reel.  Features a 2.0:1 gear set with an externally accessible asbestos washer-based drag (the entire cup comes out).  It sold for $42.50 in 1969.

The OC 600 line of reels was introduced in 1950 and included 4/0, 6/0, 9/0, and 12/0 sizes.  There were also narrow 4/0 & 6/0 sizes.

I believe the narrowed 4/0 reel was also produced for Sears as a J.C.Higgens trade reel.
Hope springs eternal

The Great Maudu

I believe they also produced 10/0, 14/0 and 16/0 reels in the 600 series. I have a 609 9/0 cradle reel that I want to take down and clean. Is it recommended to grease asbestos or leather drag washers?

Mattman NZ

Quote from: The Great Maudu on January 25, 2016, 02:16:39 PM
I believe they also produced 10/0, 14/0 and 16/0 reels in the 600 series. I have a 609 9/0 cradle reel that I want to take down and clean. Is it recommended to grease asbestos or leather drag washers?

Yes I would still grease the leather - asbestos washers - one of my 970's still running factory asbestos drags washers - I used Cal's grease on them and the drag is smooth as silk .

Penn Chronology

The Ocean City Inductor is a very interesting reel. It is introduced in the 1949 Ocean City catalog. Very cool idea and was really a successful reel for Ocean City.

Here is the 1949 Catalog illustration.

And how OC explained the feature:

There were many Inductors, The level wind model was a bit radical in my opinion. A very fun reel to have.

I like to grease the drag also; but, I suspect the grease does affect the stopping power. I do not think I would want to grease the asbestos brakes on a car.

cbar45

Great thread--good info.

Here's a few photos of my one and only.

I added a coil spring to the right-side bushing, which allows the spool to be spaced further away from the magnets if desired.

As mentioned in Mike's '49 advertisement, the mag system was developed in partnership with General Electric.

You can find their logo molded into the inside of the tail-plate.

Chad

Penn Chronology

QuoteYou can find their logo molded into the inside of the tail-plate.

Very interesting, I did not know that about the GE logo! Thanks Chad.

BryanC

Quote from: Penn Chronology on April 11, 2016, 04:39:43 AM
QuoteYou can find their logo molded into the inside of the tail-plate.

Very interesting, I did not know that about the GE logo! Thanks Chad.

That is really cool!

Tightlines667

Cool.  I almost picked one up te other day.  I am holding out for a boxed example
Hope springs eternal

Mattman NZ

Cool - I new I had seen that logo before but couldn't put my finger on it .
Rgds

Matt...

Penn Chronology

QuoteCool.  I almost picked one up te other day.  I am holding out for a boxed example

Interesting one to find in the box. They come up from time to time.

I found this one about ten years ago. One of my old favorites.

cbar45

That's a fine example you have there Mike. I like the wing-nuts that they used for the reel clamp. Thanks for sharing!