River Rising

Started by Bill B, January 29, 2016, 12:13:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill B

So California is coming out of the drought and the Sacramento River is starting to rise and cover some long dry river bank...so I tossed the crawdad trap out last night.

And here comes the Mudbug-A-Saurus....bad boy (Yes I checked   :D) measured approx 7" long with 2" claws.

It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Steve-O

Nice one! Him and a dozen of his closest friends need to be invited to the hot tub party.  :D

Chips, dip, drinks, snacks. Yum!

ChileRelleno

Ha!  Him and enough of his kin folk to fill a 50# burlap.
Then we might feed about 8-10 people, if we go light on the mudbugs and heavy on the potatoes, corn and coleslaw.
Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

Ron Jones

I can eat me enough of them that I start looking like them! Yummy-yummy
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Reel 224

Steamed with melted butter or hot sauce....mmmmmm.good ;D ;D

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Alto Mare

As a kid, I remember catching them by the dozens with my dad. We never took them home though, he used to get good money for them...good stuff!
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

oc1

I've had my fill of them.  Try using them for bait in the ocean (in areas where they are indigenous).  Easy to store alive for weeks.  Best bait ever for about ten minutes.  Then they die and not so much.
-steve

Ron Jones

I grew up using the live ones for bass, dead tail pieces for bluegill and eating the rest when the bite stops. Nothing better than boiling water in a broken Pepsi bottle for craw-dads in the middle of the night.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

TomT

Quote from: noyb72 on January 29, 2016, 06:52:39 AM
I grew up using the live ones for bass, dead tail pieces for bluegill.
Ron

Same for me.  Of course, I learned all this from my dad.  When I was younger, I was also the chief crawdad catcher.
TomT

Bill B

I dont catch enough at one time to make a meal...too much competition from the river otters, bass,and what not....so I quick boil them, take the claws and tail, freeze until I do have enough, dice with other assorted stuff and make crawdad cakes.....
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Dominick

I go to the local farmer's market, purchase as much as I need and use them in Paella.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Reel 224

Quote from: Dominick on January 31, 2016, 05:32:04 AM
I go to the local farmer's market, purchase as much as I need and use them in Paella.  Dominick

When are you coming to Jersey Dominick? I want you to compare my Paella to yours. My Daughter in Law is Spanish and she bought a paella cooker for me and taught me how to make the dish of peasant fisherman. I love that dish!!

Joe   
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Dominick

I probably will make a trip in the spring.  I'll let you know so you can get the rust off your paella pan.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Reel 224

Quote from: Dominick on February 01, 2016, 01:22:11 AM
I probably will make a trip in the spring.  I'll let you know so you can get the rust off your paella pan.  Dominick

Yes sir!! I look forward to that.

Joe

Big Tim

California river lobster! I would need a few more, but could make something tasty for sure.

BT