Line to use for a 115 9.0

Started by mikeysm, February 06, 2016, 03:11:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeysm

I have a 9.0 with Toms frame and Alan C gears Alan T gear sleeve and Bryan's drag washers. What should I use for fishing line. The reel will be used to fish for Marlin and Tuna.

Mike

BryanC

I don't fish for marlin (not yet anyway), and I've only caught small tuna under 30 lb, so I am certainly not an expert with those species.  I believe the 9/0 will hold 800-1000 yards of 100-130 lb braid with room for a topshot of 80-100 mono, so if you are targeting large fish, you could do something like that.  Straight mono, you could put 600 yards of 60 or 450 yards of 80 on it.  I've never run into a fish that needed more than 400, or even 300 yards of line (fishing from a boat), but then again I've never caught a marlin or large tuna.

I have 400 yards of 80 lb mono on my 9/0.  It is not quite full.  This gives some tolerance for uneven line lay during the heat of the moment when fighting a big fish.  My intended purpose for this reel is to target large sharks from a boat, or from the beach next to the boat, so we can jump in and give chase if needed.

Keta

If using Spectra I would go with 80#.

No SS AR dog on the reel?
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

mikeysm

Thanks for the information I was thinking 130 braid with a top shot like you said . Keta  Alan sent me one stainless dog with the sleeve and Bryan sent me two also. I have been out in my garage making a jig for the cover to machine the notch for the second AR dog . I will be able to use my rotary table and the gear plate will be screwed down on the jig. I am almost finished with the jig now. Drill the holes for the screws and tap them and I am ready to cut the plate for the dog. 

Keta

Quote from: mikeysm on February 06, 2016, 06:14:42 PM
Thanks for the information I was thinking 130 braid with a top shot like you said . Keta  Alan sent me one stainless dog with the sleeve and Bryan sent me two also. I have been out in my garage making a jig for the cover to machine the notch for the second AR dog . I will be able to use my rotary table and the gear plate will be screwed down on the jig. I am almost finished with the jig now. Drill the holes for the screws and tap them and I am ready to cut the plate for the dog. 

Good, the SS AR dog and SS gear sleeve should be used together.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

swill88

Quote from: mikeysm on February 06, 2016, 06:14:42 PM

Mike,  would love to see a picture of your jig when finished.

FatTuna

The 130lb Jerry Brown hollow is usually the cheapest in regards to JB. I have it packed on my 50W. It takes a good amount of line. I think it would be a good choice for you. I'm splicing in a 100lb topshot inside the braid. I believe a 9/0 is pretty similar in size to a standard 50.

Keta

Quote from: FatTuna on February 06, 2016, 09:49:40 PM
The 130lb Jerry Brown hollow is usually the cheapest in regards to JB. I have it packed on my 50W. It takes a good amount of line. I think it would be a good choice for you. I'm splicing in a 100lb topshot inside the braid. I believe a 9/0 is pretty similar in size to a standard 50.

I sell JB Line One at a good price if that is the brand you are looking for.  

I would fill the reel with 80# (or whatever) solid and put a long section of hollow on the end if funds were tight.  If you want to see expensive price 40# hollow, I use 60#.

Mark Twain

FatTuna

Keta, I'm good at the moment as I have most of my reels spooled. I will however need some line in the near future. I will contact you. Are you able to get 200lb+?

I'm considering spooling my Tiagras with hollow braid. I currently have dacron backing on them now but as it sits they only hold about 550 yards total.... I may want to load them up with some heavy stuff once I build up a new fishing fund.

I'm not really partial to brand as long as it's good stuff.

Shark Hunter

I spool all my 9/0's with straight 80 lb mono.
I can make a 100 t0 150 yard drop from shore and still have a little more than half spool.
I'm running the same setup except with an insert from Adam if I have to turn a Biggun'.

Life is Good!

Keta

Quote from: FatTuna on February 06, 2016, 10:13:54 PM
Keta, I'm good at the moment as I have most of my reels spooled. I will however need some line in the near future. I will contact you. Are you able to get 200lb+?

I buy directly from Jerry, I can get up to 1000#.   1 yard to 2500+ yards.

Mark Twain

FatTuna

That's great ;D. Let me ask around and see what guys are using on these reels as I've never had braid on them before. I will be in touch. 

mikeysm

Here is the jig I made to cut the notch for the second dog. I need a adapter plate to mount the chuck it will be here next week. I went ahead and ordered the Jerry Brown 130lb. I will top it with 100lb Mono.

Mike

TheReelShop

This looks legit!! Looking forward to the end result

Ron Jones

After that investment I'd go into business double dogging 9/0s.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"