"99"

Started by surfcaster, February 20, 2016, 07:47:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

surfcaster

Finally finished up my 99, no where near as pretty as some or most  here. made the 99 sideplate fit with an outer ring from a 506 reel & some drilling.
a 24-56 power handle steel gears newell 332f bars,& stand a newell spool from Randy, gear sleeve from Alan & a black pearl bridge fitted with some new penn  jigmaster springs. An easy fix.The springs it came with were too soft. Happy with the bridge Drops right in & eliminates the handle backplay.
built piece by piece on the installment plan.I spent about a month searching for the right parts for the build ,Fun project & more spare parts for the bin.        Tight Lines,Richie                             [][/img] 

PacRat

theswimmer

Reel nice Richie!
I can't decide whether to hot rod the 99 I found last week or just clean it up....
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

surfcaster

Thanks, It started out as 2 99 reels  I found on the "cheap" The only parts I used from the silverbeach were the left side plate & bushing.
  got a couple of good right 99 plates, a roached out metal spool ,& a plastic spool.the 99 right plate fits right on the reel just like the 500.
  I might put some new drags,sleeve & springs in one of those & have a low gear side plate for this reel.

DaBigOno

Nice reel Richie,

Those Newell parts makes the the reel at rong and light.  its a very fishable reel.   I have a few reels with accurate side plates but don't actually fish them, it's just for show.

I prefer to fish sleeper reels like yours!
Well done!!

Al
Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

theswimmer

Do any of you fish the plastic spool?
I really want to fish my  99 without blowing it up
Best
JT.
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

foakes

If you fish the plastic spool, Jonathan --

Run about 25% Dacron to start -- that is what the old timers did.

And it works.

If you do not have any, and want to try it -- I have a new 5 lb. spool of 50 over here that I use just for backing.

Or you can go to a metal or aluminum spool.

A lot of guys use the backing on the plastic Squidder spools when surf fishing.  They say they get more distance with a lighter line -- using the plastic aero-finned spools.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Alto Mare

Nice reel Richie...good job!
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

mhc

A solid, practical reel without breaking the bank - nice work.
Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

cbar45

Nice reel Ritchie--purpose built.

Quote from: theswimmer on February 21, 2016, 01:43:22 AM
Do any of you fish the plastic spool?
I really want to fish my  99 without blowing it up
Best
JT.

I used to run a plastic spool on my 99 Silverbeach and was taught to do exactly as Fred describes:

Spool up with just over a quarter full of dacron (or non-stretch braid), then mono the rest of the way.

The pressure of the mono was never a problem with the smallish stock drags. If upgrading to a 5-stack I'd go with aluminum spool, but that is just me.

Chad

ReelCurious

The double dog bridge from a Jigmaster dropped in still using the 99 side plate?  This is my next project, been collecting parts the same way over the last few months.  Looks good.

surfcaster

Nope ,The bridge only  fits in a 500 or 501 sideplate. The 99 right plate has a different bridge. I only used a 99 left plate drilled to fit different rings mounting screws to fit a jigmaster. because I liked the look better. To make things more confusing a fully assembled right 99 or surfmaster 250 plate will fit on this reel with the quick thumb screw take apart feature & work with the 99 spools. although slightly different internals& gear ratios.
   Hope This helps, Richie

Mattman NZ

Nice solid looking reel you have there surfcaster.
Rgds

Matt...