NOS 349H SPOOLS

Started by CaptainRMF, February 24, 2016, 05:45:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

Thanks for straightening me out on this, guys.

I thought that was stainless because it was so heavy, duller, and well done.

Some Penn spools I believe are stainless -- but like Mike said, not any of the Mariners.

Sorry for the misinformation.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

fishhead69

I am glad you like the spools Richy. The third one will be shipped out tomorrow for you. You got the last 3 NOS Penn 349 spools that I had.They are ready to catch lots and lots of fish.

Tight lines Paul

broadway

Okay, now I'm more confused then I was before Richy picked up these spools from Paul. I understand that neither of the 349 spools are stainless, but are there any spools that are? I thought the screw on/off Long Beach and other little guys were stainless. Can someone definitively set the record straight before I ask good ole' Tony at the Penn tour in May? I have never used a Penn with the spool I'm talking about but I own enough of them that I should know the answer to this, but I need some clarifying here.
Thanks
Dom

cbar45

I've owned Jigmasters and 210's that had stainless spools. If I remember right, the arbors are sleeved in the middle and the spindle/flanges held together by a tell-tale nut on the tail-plate side. Color was a muted silver--similar to the cast bronze 349 spools shown here--and not as shiny as the chrome-plated versions.

Chad

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

cbar45

Keta, that's the one!

Thank for the photo.

Chad

broadway

Exactly, Thats the one I'm talking about, Lee. So, those are stainless?
Thanks
Dom

Keta

Quote from: broadway on February 25, 2016, 04:25:07 AM
Exactly, Thats the one I'm talking about, Lee. So, those are stainless?
Thanks
Dom

They appear to be SS.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

cbar45

Alto Mare

Well, that isn't actually a stainless steel spool, I'm pretty sure the spindle is chromed brass, the two checks are stainless though. If not looked after those will deteriorate much faster than the chromed one piece spools.
Having two different types of metal, galvanic reaction is the blame on those.
They are very light though.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Keta

I have an unusable one of these in my shop, I will put it on the belt sander and see if it is brass.

Mark Twain

Alto Mare

Quote from: Keta on February 25, 2016, 03:03:33 PM
I have an unusable one of these in my shop, I will put it on the belt sander and see if it is brass.
Do you mean the spindle of the one I've mentioned above? Or the 349?
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Keta

Quote from: Alto Mare on February 25, 2016, 03:11:13 PM

I think it's a 209 spool, all 349 spools I have or have seen were 100% brass or bronze. I will not scrap the pile of warped 349 spools hoping I can straighten them out and make them useable again.  Large halibut, mono and deep fishing was tough on the tall narrow spools, even the heavy bronze ones.  Braid (Dacron at the time) eliminated spool spreading.   I wish more Newell aluminum 349 spools were available.

Mark Twain

foakes

Lee is right on this -- those Newell spools would be the ticket.

If you use a grinder just a bit -- SS will spark.  Chromed over brass or bronze will not -- aluminum will not spark either.  Test with a grinder - sparks means Stainless Steel. No sparks means Aluminum or Chrome-plated Brass.

If you have been around a little metal in your life, you can also use a drill.  If SS, I will know before it goes any more than 100 mils into the piece -- just by how hard it feels.

There are acid tests, testing devices -- but at the end of the day -- old fashioned works for this child.

Seems like some of the 209, 309, various Long Beaches, etc. -- did offer SS spools.

Loose One on the lower left is chromed over brass.  The rest appear to be SS -- including the old boxed ones, which each have a spool inside.

Just my opinions.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Keta

Quote from: Alto Mare on February 25, 2016, 03:11:13 PM

The 209 hub I had is SS.  I used nitric acid to test it.

Mark Twain