NOS 349H SPOOLS

Started by CaptainRMF, February 24, 2016, 05:45:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CaptainRMF

Hey guys, Christmas came early for me this year. Had a member in my boat club who owns a tackle shop trying to track down new spools for my 349H reels or if they even existed. Well he came thru with a place in Ca. so I ordered 2 and just got them today. ;D ;D ;D. They are NOS w/box and are beautiful. Called back this morning and bought the remaining one he had for a spare. I was just wondering if any one knows why one is polished chrome and the other is brushed chrome and the shape of the boxes is different. Different years I'm thinking ? Anyway for $35 ea. I'm a happy boy.  ;D ;D ;D                           Richy
Richy aka CaptainRMF

foakes

The shiny one is chromed over brass -- the duller brushed one is likely SS.

Berinson's and Randy from Vintage Offshore both have hard to find items.

Randy is a member of our site -- and takes very good care of us.

Good finds!

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

CaptainRMF

Quote from: foakes on February 24, 2016, 05:49:31 PM
The shiny one is chromed over brass -- the duller brushed one is likely SS.

Berinson's and Randy from Vintage Offshore both have hard to find items.

Randy is a member of our site -- and takes very good care of us.

Good finds!

Best,

Fred
As always you are right again Fred. I just did the magnet test and the dull one is SS. I never new they made SS spools for these reels. Also my apologies to Randy, I must have brain freeze, because I forgot all about checking with him first. Will do next time I need something.                                        Richy
Richy aka CaptainRMF

CaptainRMF

PS. Sorry about the crooked pics. I have no idea how to rotate them once I post. ??? ???
Richy aka CaptainRMF

foakes

Randy from Vintage Offshore will be the first to say no apology needed -- plenty of business for everyone...

Having said that, Randy is a modest and super capable guy -- he works hard to find what you need at very fair prices -- and has many contacts that few know about.

Not saying anything against Berinson's -- They are a solid and good company, and an asset to all of us -- they also have hard to get items -- and run a good, profitable business.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

broadway

Nice find, Richy.  The difference in boxes is just a different year, they found the boxes that were a different shape for a cheaper price, or it was meant to be for a different reel and got stuffed in the extra box left over.
The reason one is polished chrome and one is SS is just a different year or time period.  Penn was always experimenting and turned the the SS spool after the chromed over, I believe.
Enjoy,
Dom

Maxed Out

Those spools are near impossible to find....nicely done.

The one with brushed finish certainly appears to be a plated cast bronze spool. I may be wrong, but to my knowledge Penn never made a stainless spool.

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Alto Mare

Quote from: Max Doubt on February 24, 2016, 09:48:30 PM
Those spools are near impossible to find....nicely done.

The one with brushed finish certainly appears to be a plated cast bronze spool. I may be wrong, but to my knowledge Penn never made a stainless spool.

Ted
Same here!
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

broadway

I agree with both Ted and Sal in that I didn't think they were stainless but some won't let a magnet stick to them so what are they? It's one of the questions I'd like answered at the factory tour.
Thanks
Dom

Shark Hunter

Great Find Richy.
Dom, I'm afraid they are made from the dreaded unobtanium. ;D
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

Quote from: broadway on February 24, 2016, 10:25:19 PM
I agree with both Ted and Sal in that I didn't think they were stainless but some won't let a magnet stick to them so what are they? It's one of the questions I'd like answered at the factory tour.
Thanks
Dom
I think you won't be able to get a magnet to stick on 90% of Penn metal parts, the other 10% are the gears and spool shaft... but not the brass gears of course.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Keta

Quote from: Alto Mare on February 24, 2016, 10:21:45 PM

Ted
Same here!
X3

Bronze is non magnetic.

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Penn Chronology

I suspect the right answer in mixed into all these replies. The shiny spool is chrome plated brass and the brushed spool is chrome plated bronze. It was simply how Penn finished the different metals; but, that is not a hard and fast rule. Penn also like to tumble chrome parts to finish them, giving another type of finish.

Penn made many stainless steel spools; but, not for the 349, I believe. A magnet will not stick to any spool side; but, will stick to the spool spindle because the spool shaft that is inside the spindle is steel. That sort of makes a person think that the spool spindle is magnetic; but it is not. The external spindle is always made from non magnetic material; but, the magnetic attraction is caused by the spool shaft traveling through the spool spindle. The magnetic force is passing through the brass.

broadway

I love this place! That makes a ton of sense, Mike.  The 3 piece version on the Long Beach and other small Penn's seem to be SS, but I could be getting fooled with one of the process Mike is talking about.
Thanks for the insight,
Dom

Alto Mare

Quote from: Keta on February 24, 2016, 11:40:37 PM
Quote from: Alto Mare on February 24, 2016, 10:21:45 PM

Ted
Same here!
X3

Bronze is non magnetic.

And as you already know neither is some type of stainless steel.