Pro challenger hear + motive insert trouble

Started by Sharkin904, February 26, 2016, 04:30:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BMITCH

And yes, to be clear, I'm talking about Adams inserts.
luck is the residue of design.

mikeysm

I also had the same problem with the insert with Alans gear on my 9.0. I sanded it and then pressed it in. Now its tight and everything else goes together without force.

BMITCH

Oops...didn't mean to hijack this thread. Sooooo if the moderators see a need to move it, have at it

Alto Mare

Quote from: Shark Hunter on February 26, 2016, 02:42:08 PM
We are talking about two different animals here Bob.
The author of this thread is building a 9/0 with an insert.
That is what my pictures are referring to.
The Hex drags are soon to be a thing of the past, but I still have two sets of those gears.
I never put a delrin on top of those.
With the inserts, I'm using one under the main gear and one on the very top of the stack.
The only thing pressing on the top is the top hat or the spacer.
Sal will need to elaborate on his Hex setup.
I thought you were building a reel with an insert.

For a minute I thought you were writing a book ::), nothing new here it has all been done before ;)

Bob, the layout is the same for Stock gears , Hex gears, Octagon inserts, Hex inserts, Adam inserts the new HX eared gears that are due in soon...nothing complicated here, same principal to all.
If you have the top-hat, the delrin washer could sit right under it, if you have the spacer it is a good idea to have a keyed washer on top of the delrin. Depending on the thickness of the carbon fiber washers used, you could end up with one metal washer on top or two, this doesn't change anything, its just a spacer.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Three se7ens

I have a few delrin washers that fit the top hat on the models with easy access drags. Pm me if anyone wants them.

BMITCH

So that means the configuration that Daron has a photo of there is incorrect?? Or maybe I'm confusing the top hat for the last washer that is supplied with the kit??? If so than it would make perfect sence. Won't be the first or last time I was confused...lol😆

Alto Mare

Quote from: BMITCH on February 26, 2016, 03:42:09 PM
So that means the configuration that Daron has a photo of there is incorrect?? Or maybe I'm confusing the top hat for the last washer that is supplied with the kit??? If so than it would make perfect sence. Won't be the first or last time I was confused...lol😆
Yeah, I believe you are making it confusing for yourself. Myself and Daron have both said that the Top-Hot sits on top of the delrin, the rest is going to have to be up to you bud.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

handi2

One under the drag star makes tightening the star much easier. I try to fit one on all reels.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Shark Hunter

Ease up on the Coffee Bob. :D
Yes, The top hat sits on the Delrin, Like Sal said.
Life is Good!

BMITCH

borchcl

A while back, I had a Pro Challenger 6/0 gear that was too tight for the Motive Fab drag insert. I was also doing a 6/0 with an old fashion steel gear. The insert fit that one nicely, so I left it there and installed one of Brian's 7 pacs in the Pro Challenger gear. Worked out great.
Charlie

Sharkin904

Well after filing it for awhile, and a little persuasion from a hammer...it's in! And it's definitely not ever coming back out haha

Rothmar2

Not trying to blow my trumpet, but I wonder if the composite Delrin/Stainless top hat I made here would help with this top of the stack confusion...

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=10286.60

They are not too hard to produce. The 6/0 and 9/0 share the same gears don't they?

So far I have had a few bluefin tuna over this reel, and so far it's held up well.
Have been given the go-ahead to fish this reel to swords this season, that will be a good test for this top-hat.

Shark Hunter

I ended up with one of those in a round about way.
I need to give it a try.
Life is Good!

mikeysm

I have came to the conclusion that the top hat and felt washer is just a seal to keep grit and contaminants away from the gear. basically a grease seal.

Mike