Speed Master Conversion kit

Started by juicebruiser, March 06, 2016, 12:28:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

juicebruiser

I have a triton speedmaster 2 and 4 FS fighting Star reals. I am looking to convert them back to the normal drag system. I am told that there was a kit at one time which is no longer supported by Shimano. Does anyone have info on this Reel repair shops that may have these on hand or any info on using Parts from the standard 2 and 4 models.

Thanks Kevin

Fish-aholic

I've personally never seen or heard of such a kit. Not to say they don't exist but I have never seen any advertised anywhere on the internet in the 10 years I've had access, which isn't a good sign for availability.  :-\

I think your best bet would be to purchase said models with the standard operating drag, it will be far less time consuming than trying to source parts/conversion kit, but that's just my opinion.

Steve  ;)

Yogi_fish808

If you can get the schematics for those reels to see what part's are different it might be worth it. I'd assume the different parts include the gear sleeve and whatever different parts go into the FS assembly. There's a decent amount of standard Speedmaster III and IV parts on ebay right now for reasonable money. Decent condition speedmasters aren't too pricey either (seen a few NIB/near mint IV's for ~$70-80), so it might be less headache to go that route.

picked this one up for $70 + $19 for a much better power handle

Enjoy your reels whichever way you choose, they're awesome pieces of japanese quality.

Bryan Young

Those are great dunking reels for oio.  That is one of the very few reels that I can use to keep up with a charging oio.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

kevin, it's going to take some time, but you need to sit with the schematics and figure out the parts differences between the two reels.  mostly it's the drive shaft, the star and a few washers in between, but you need to study the schematics carefully to make sure you don't leave anything out. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Yogi_fish808

Quote from: Bryan Young on March 17, 2016, 01:44:46 PM
Those are great dunking reels for oio.  That is one of the very few reels that I can use to keep up with a charging oio.

Yep, Oio/Bones love to charge right at you after the initial run. I usually like to use heavy spinners for them but this reel definitely fits the bill too.

juicebruiser