Squidder ugly duckling....show yours too!

Started by thorhammer, March 08, 2016, 09:20:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thorhammer

We all love to show the beauty queens, but not every reel has gotten the love over the course of its life. That doesn't mean the reel doesn't deserve respect now! I built this one literally out of a bag of remaining parts from a closed shop after I built out four prettier ones....This one has great freespool and is mechanically a ten, oh, but the face!!!! :)

cbar45

I purchased a box of junk reels for the Penn 704 that came with it.

Here are the rest of the beauties after I got through with them.. ;D

Ocean City--112, Ocean City--Bay City, and a Penn 209.

The Bay City has a custom oil port, i.e. cracked handle boss..;)

Don't be fooled by their looks; with new drags they all function perfectly.

Chad

*Edit
Sorry I did not realize this was the Penn Squidder forum, I'm on mobile and it's a bit hard to read.

Maxed Out

That's why we love our Penns. They may have battle scars but seem to outlast the original owners and still be smooth as silk.

Back in the 80's the squidder was the go to for many of the successful salmon moochers around here. Great little reels

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Shark Hunter

Those Damn squidders are bringing an ultimate price. Especially the 146.
I have a really nice 140 on an accurate frame, but have yet to bring home the bacon on a nice 46 in stock form.
I have one of Tom's.

Life is Good!

RowdyW

Hey Daron, this is the ugly duckling show. ;D That squidder is to nice for this page. ;)

foakes

Got 4 --

All have been made from spare parts, except the one at the lower left with the anti backlash wire mechanism.

Also have a couple of old Seagates, 155, 9, a labeled "99", plus a labeled Silver Beach to go through when I get a chance.  Love these old Soldiers.

One of the Seagates has an old football dark chocolate crank knob that I cannot remember seeing before -- although I doubt it is rare -- just haven't seen that example to my memory.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Mattman NZ

Hi guys this 140 Squidder started of in this thread - Link below.
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=13534.msg136834#msg136834
I noticed every now and the spool would rub when tilting the reel to the right - striped it down and found that the spool was rubbing on the sleeve should be part no 98-155 but this ones a lot bigger - found out some of the early Squidder's used part no 98-60 .
Found one that was a nice fit on the shaft but was a fraction too tall and took a whisker off in the lath.

Went through some spare's and put in the best I had on hand - lubed carbon drags with cals grease and lubed the rest with Penn blue.
Flushed out bearings & lubed with light machine oil and put a .4mm shim behind the spool bearing in handle side plate.
Will test it tonight .

ttp://i938.photobucket.com/albums/ad223/mattman1965/DSCF3180_zpshreviiyw.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Rgds
Matt...

Tightlines667

First year Squidder... as found...
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Mattman NZ

A few more Squidder's Ive worked on in the past year - Im still yet to find one with an alloy spool over here in NZ . ;D

Rgds

Mat...

thorhammer

Shark Hunter

I know this is a ugly duckling thread, but I don't have, but two squidders. One of Tom's and the 140 accurate frame.
I finally scored a nice 146. I probably paid too much, but have been after one for quite some time.
The only problem with this one, is that the owner ground the foot off the newell base.
I know nothing about Newell's, but this is more than likely unobtanium. I will replace the stand with a 30-49 and clamp unless someone has one. I'm pretty happy with it. These reels are getting very hard to find in good condition.
Life is Good!

Marcq

Quote from: Mattman NZ on March 21, 2016, 03:39:47 AM
Hi guys this 140 Squidder started of in this thread - Link below.
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=13534.msg136834#msg136834
I noticed every now and the spool would rub when tilting the reel to the right - striped it down and found that the spool was rubbing on the sleeve should be part no 98-155 but this ones a lot bigger - found out some of the early Squidder's used part no 98-60 .
Found one that was a nice fit on the shaft but was a fraction too tall and took a whisker off in the lath.

Went through some spare's and put in the best I had on hand - lubed carbon drags with cals grease and lubed the rest with Penn blue.
Flushed out bearings & lubed with light machine oil and put a .4mm shim behind the spool bearing in handle side plate.
Will test it tonight .

Rgds
Matt...

Just wondering Matt, what was wrong with the black  side plate? (handle side)

Marc..

bluefish69

Daron

Show me a better picture of the cut off reel foot. I might have one next to Jimmy Hoffa.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Ron Jones

Daron,
The nice thing about Newells is that the stands work the same as Penns. That stand is one of the easier ones to come by on the bay. I really dig Newel kits, that there will be a nice reel when you get done with it.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Mattman NZ

Hi Marcq - I done the changeover because the post that guides the eccentric jack was totally missing - and would jam when going from in gear into free spool and visa versa - I had two red plates and only one had the post but the chrome was in bad shape and split in two places and the plate itself was swollen abit - hence the make over .

Rgds
Matt...