Jon, I have a question for you.

Started by RiverAngler, March 15, 2016, 09:38:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkT

I have a couple of acid rods, a g6470 and a g6480. They were wrapped by Jim Racela, J.Akuhed is his on-line handle, who came up with the term acid wrap.  As in Dude! What's up with your rod?  Were you on acid when you wrapped it?

I had the captain on the Excel staring at my 6470 when I was on a YT wondering what was up with that.

The only downside is bundling up the rods is a pain because the guides get in the way.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

thinkwahoo

I think the original term for this spiral wrap was called, "Roberts wrap", but someone with more knowledge than me could correct that statement.

cbar45

Quote from: thinkwahoo on March 21, 2016, 04:47:04 AM
I think the original term for this spiral wrap was called, "Roberts wrap", but someone with more knowledge than me could correct that statement.

Yes, the term "Roberts Wrap" is an early descriptor attributed to Joy Dunlap who is featured in Clemen's books. It is said that he named the wrap in order to credit the builder who taught him the technique.

"Acid Wrap" is another term for the spiral that seems to have originated on the West Coast. You also have the modern variants called Simple Spiral and O'Quinn Spiral--the first minimizes the use of transition guides, while the latter was developed for maximum casting distance using long surf rods.

However, the concept of wrapping guides in a spiral to take the line from the top of the blank to the bottom goes a lot further back; It was a style that was actually patented by a John Scanlan in 1909, yet didn't really catch on until recent years.

Chad

RiverAngler

Again, this is great stuff. I need to keep asking questions if this is the response I get. Awesome!  :)
Parents don't frame pictures of their kids playing video games. Take them fishing!

sdlehr

Quote from: RiverAngler on March 21, 2016, 01:14:49 PM
Again, this is great stuff. I need to keep asking questions if this is the response I get. Awesome!  :)
I think pretty much all of us are here to learn. We help each other that way :)

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

MarkT

I've seen it referred to as a revolver wrap too.

Aiala

Quote from: Newell Nut on March 21, 2016, 02:12:33 AM
It is difficult to teach an old Salty dog new tricks. ;D ;D

A-yuh... old and very salty: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"   ::)  :D

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

sdlehr

Aiala, if you tried a spiral wrap rod just once you would be convinced.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Aiala

Quote from: sdlehr on March 21, 2016, 06:28:27 PM
Aiala, if you tried a spiral wrap rod just once you would be convinced. Sid

Sid, obviously the spiral is an excellent design for so many top-notch anglers to have adopted it with such enthusiasm. But trust me, I'm WAY too linear/OCD/persnickety to ever tolerate such an unbalanced-looking set-up... seeing the line skew sideways like that would thoroughly upend my sense of order and bring on a severe case of mental agitation; in fact, I find it upsetting to even look at pictures of an acid rod!  :o  ;D

~A~

oc1

I'm with you Aiala.  I though about acid wrap for light baitcasting because you could reduce the number of running guides, save a bit of weight at the tip and, in so doing, save even more weight in the butt when balancing.  But, I just can't get over the weirdness factor.
-steve

MarkT

You fight a good sized fish on an acid rod and you'll get why people like them.  You fight the fish, not the rod.  It's like using a spinning rod only you have a 'real' reel to crank with and you can lay it on the rail if you want/need to.

Reel 224

Quote from: Aiala on March 21, 2016, 06:52:53 PM
Quote from: sdlehr on March 21, 2016, 06:28:27 PM
Aiala, if you tried a spiral wrap rod just once you would be convinced. Sid

Sid, obviously the spiral is an excellent design for so many top-notch anglers to have adopted it with such enthusiasm. But trust me, I'm WAY too linear/OCD/persnickety to ever tolerate such an unbalanced-looking set-up... seeing the line skew sideways like that would thoroughly upend my sense of order and bring on a severe case of mental agitation; in fact, I find it upsetting to even look at pictures of an acid rod!  :o  ;D

~A~

;D ;D ;D Oh my god!

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Aiala

Quote from: MarkT on March 21, 2016, 09:01:06 PM
You fight a good-sized fish on an acid rod and you'll get why people like them. You fight the fish, not the rod. It's like using a spinning rod only you have a 'real' reel to crank with and you can lay it on the rail if you want/need to.

Mark, I like spinners a lot and have no problem fishing with them. But I have to be honest, after tussling with some of those fat Guadalupe tuna last fall, I really do NOT like using the rail... I found it stressed my back, my hands, my stamina, to say nothing of being hard on my gear. On my upcoming 8-day I am going to return to the (old-fashioned) belt and kidney harness lift-and-wind-down method. Slower, I know, and maybe I won't catch as many, but so what? I don't really need a quarter ton of filets. Besides, bumping up the boat's total fish count isn't a priority... for me, anyway.   :)

~A~

Reel 224

Aiala; I like a person the sticks to there convictions.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

MarkT

That's okay, they work just as well with a belt.  You don't need a gimbal to keep the rod from twisting though!