No email notification of private messages

Started by Three se7ens, March 17, 2016, 04:19:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Three se7ens

In the last 2 weeks or so, I have stopped receiving an email confirmation when I receive a private message on the forum.  Is there something on my end I need to check, or is this a problem with the forum itself?

Anyone else having this issue?

cbar45

Same here, I was actually just going to start a new thread on the subject..

Chad

Bryan Young

This appears to be a site problem. I'm not getting any notifications either.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Marcq

day0ne

David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

Shark Hunter

Same Here,
I kind of like it. ;D
Less email to delete out of the inbox.
Life is Good!

sdlehr

I don't think I've ever received e-mail notification of a private message. But somewhere along the way I checked a box so I get a window that pops up when I log in and there's a new message waiting for me. That still works.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

sdlehr

And, not meaning to hijack, my problem with the site is when I haven't logged in for a day or two. I always go to "Show unread posts since last visit" first, but it seems that has a limit of 5 pages of threads before it resets back to zero, so when gone for a day it dumps a lot of threads I haven't yet seen.... seems we are too active for this site. If someone wrote the code to make it reset after 5 pages of threads I bet that would be easy to fix (for the right person); In an ideal world the site would keep track of how much of each thread had been read by each user so that when you log on it takes you back to the part of the thread where you last left off. That would be an incredible improvement.

Sid
Sid Lehr

alantani

yeah, it's the software.  the email notification part is all screwed up.  it worked right at the beginning but fizzled a year or two ago with one of the updates.  no one ever fixed it.  it might be related to the level of traffic that we get here.  the software was not designed to handle 2 million hits a month.  i have no idea what's going to happen if we reach 3, 4 or 5 million hits a month.  :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Three se7ens

Quote from: alantani on March 17, 2016, 03:54:31 PM
yeah, it's the software.  the email notification part is all screwed up.  it worked right at the beginning but fizzled a year or two ago with one of the updates.  no one ever fixed it.  it might be related to the level of traffic that we get here.  the software was not designed to handle 2 million hits a month.  i have no idea what's going to happen if we reach 3, 4 or 5 million hits a month.  :-\

Its been really reliable for me up until a few weeks ago.  And then just nothing.  It makes it a bit easier for me to keep track of PM's I need to follow up on when I can flag it in my email. Oh well...

Keta

Quote from: alantani on March 17, 2016, 03:54:31 PM
 i have no idea what's going to happen if we reach 3, 4 or 5 million hits a month.  :-\

We might have to go with our own server.  Our quiet little family has grown.

Quote from: Three se7ens on March 19, 2016, 06:04:50 AM
Its been really reliable for me up until a few weeks ago.  And then just nothing.  It makes it a bit easier for me to keep track of PM's I need to follow up on when I can flag it in my email. Oh well...

E-mail works better for me, I loose PM's in the pile I get.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

sdlehr

It might be worthwhile to look for a new home for our group sooner rather than later. But I don't want to lose all the info from the last few years in doing so. Maybe it would be easier to get the software geeks from this simple machines forum to attend to our needs?

Sid
Sid Lehr

Reel 224

Quote from: sdlehr on March 19, 2016, 02:37:08 PM
It might be worthwhile to look for a new home for our group sooner rather than later. But I don't want to lose all the info from the last few years in doing so. Maybe it would be easier to get the software geeks from this simple machines forum to attend to our needs?

Sid

Sid; As you know you should backup any and all important data. But as PMs go it's been erratic for me as well but it's no problem for me personally because I'm on here most days.

Joe   
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

David Hall

I don't want a new home!  I like this one!
I'm not getting them either, just found an important one too that I hadn't noticed.

alantani

Quote from: sdlehr on March 19, 2016, 02:37:08 PM

Sid

it's $2k for them to move us over to a dedicated server and then $2k yearly for the server and to have someone on their end dedicated to managing it. so yeah, $4 to start, then $2 ever year after.  right now, we are paid up until the year 2026.  i just spent an additional $600 to take us from december 2018 to 2026.  the only recurring cost is $50 a year for the photo hosting software that i pay to SMF Hacks.  after that, we are in theory good until then with no extra expenses for the website.  i'm kinda hopin' to keep it that way.....   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!