Splicing 200 lb braid to 200lb Bullbuster mono - help

Started by wsenti, March 17, 2016, 10:45:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wsenti

Hi,

I plan to spool my Penn 12/0 reel with 200 lb braid spliced into/with 200lb Bullbuster mono line.

I recently went to a local place that does everything under the sun and they couldn't come up with a realistic way of accomplishing this because the mono was too thick (they've done spooling before with my 100 lb mono).

I already purchased the 200lb mono (and also have 100 lb Bullbuster mono) and I am looking around for braid (initially pursued JB hollow core 200, but it may be too thin).

I know there are some big time sharkers out there and this is being done all the time with 12/0 and 14/0 setups.

Any help??

Thanks,
Wade

conchydong

It can be done. Most 200lb monos will go into 200 lb. hollow core braid. It takes patience and opening (relaxing) the braid prior to the mono insertion.

Shark Hunter

I run straight 100lb mono on all my 12/0's. Sufix Tritanium.
You can get very close to 1000 yards on a cast spool.
If you run 200lb hollow core with 200lb mono on top, I don't think you will have the same capacity.
200 lb mono takes up a lot of room.
I could only fit about 900 yards on an Everol 18/0.

Life is Good!

Patudo

With your 200 lb mono, treat the reel end like making a wind-on leader.  I would double up 4 feet of hollow braid comparable in diameter to around 130 to 150 lb dacron.  Have most of it running into itself with only a 1.5 to 2 inch loop.  Run the 200 lb mono into the doubled layer of braid and finish up.  There should be some good instructions on how to do this on the net. 

For your 200 lb braid, make either a spliced loop if it's hollow or a Bimini twist to create a double line if it's solid.  Then loop to loop the two sections together. 

If you need capacity, use less mono - or go down to say 150 lb or 130 lb mono.  How essential is 200 lb line anyway? 

Keta

A L2L using 300 hollow can be attached to the 200 hollow but I have spliced 200 hollow to 200 mono.  I can get small amounts of JB line and could send you 20' if needed.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

SoCalAngler

Like stated 200 lb mono should fit inside 200 lb spectra, well I guess that depends on the manufacture of the braid. Get a good quality 16 strand braid that opens nicely and you should not run into too much trouble inserting the mono, but if you do Keta is right on with splicing in some 300 lb or going loop to loop.

bill19803

i  have been  able  to   get  200 ln  izor   flouro into  200  lb  cortland  c-16   with no  sweat -it goes in easy    but i  dont use a needle   to   do it  That may be  why the shop  couldnt   do it

wsenti

Thanks for the input. I could go with #100 or #200 mono, I have bulk spools of both.

We just want to go heavier with the 12/0 and I figure I can still get over 1,000 yards with braid/mono.

I went to a local place (won't name) here in Florida and they haven't done anything over #100 mono with braid. We looked at some #130 dacron and it was pretty tough to splice when I brought it in.

Ideally I would go with #200 JB Hollow Core. I believe I'll go with #200 JB Hollow core whether #100 or #200 mono, so likely the same investment.

Keta

Splice 20' of 300# hollow to the end of the 200# hollow and the 200# mono will go right in.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Shark Hunter

If you must have the hollow core Wade, Go with 600 yards of 130 to 100 lb mono.
This setup is ideal for the 12/0.
The 200 to 200 is more suited for the 14/0 or bigger.
I have been sharking a couple years now and always thought the hollow core set up was the way to go.
After witnessing an 11'6" Hammer caught from the beach with straight 100lb mono on a 12/0. That is how I set up all mine now. JMO
Life is Good!

Southernsharker

150 suffix mono takes me about 5 minutes to go 5 ft in jb 130 hollowcore with a needle.  200lb into 130 will drive you nuts putting it into 200 hc isn't that bad shave the tip of the mono to fit it in a needle and take your time if you put 600 yards of braid on you should get close to 950-1000 yards of total line most guys get 850-900 of total line on a 80w doing 200/200 your 12 has better capacity then the 80w. I would recommend the straight 100lb if you fish a Sandy area but if you fish inlets like I do with drop offs that line will slice like butter. I had several cutoffs using 100lb tritanium and momoi diamond on some big fish because of the bottom structure. 150 and 200lb is all we will be using this year unless it's the 50w or 9\0.

Shark Hunter

Good Point Brandon,
If you are fishing near structure, you need all the help you can get. ;)
Life is Good!

oc1

The old green nylon braid has great abrasion resistance for fishing around structure and fishing over sand where there is wave action that rubs the line on the bottom.  But, the diameter is huge compared to spectra and even mono so you do not get much capacity.  May be good for a top shot though.  Memphis Net and Twine still carries it.
-steve

Southernsharker

oc1

No.  Dacron has very little abrasion resistance.  Braided nylon has about as much stretch as mono but much more abrasion resistance than mono or dacron or spectra.  It is larger diameter than mono of the same line test.
-steve