Penn 60 with jigmaster 501/506 frame

Started by mhc, March 20, 2016, 09:59:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mhc

I have upgraded a long beach 60 - with a double dog bridge from a 66N build, 5 stack drag from Bryan, 29L-85 spool, 501/506 stand and spacer bars (with spacers to fit the 60), 24-56 handle & 10-66 star. I had most parts on-hand so the only outlay aside from time, was the drag kit.

The bridge and drag kit including a white acetyl under gear washer.

The spacers were hacksawed, roughly shaped on a bench grinder then finished with files.

And the reel

I haven't tested the drag but I'm thinking of spooling it with 40 lb mono for general inshore use.

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Alto Mare

Mike, that is very creative...nice Job.
It must have taking you a while, but I'm sure well worth it.

My good friend Tom ( Irish Jigger ) did something similar over 3 years ago, I believe on a 99

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=6437.msg54778#msg54778

I miss that guy, he told me he wanted to spend some time with his grandkids.

Yours though, brings it to another dimension. If we could get some of our machinists here to make us those spacers in various thickness, the possibilities are endless.
Thanks for sharing, definitely a great idea.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Tiddlerbasher

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Cone

Very nice! I love seeing what people will come up with next. Penns are fun to play with ( and fish with ).   
Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Rothmar2

Great craftsmanship there Mike. It'll be very satisfying when you start landing a few fish on it.

Ron Jones

Could you imagine those spacers bolted to a Tib frame? One amazing piece of work my friend. With a 5 stack and a beefed up frame, a 50# braid rig for sure.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Tightlines667

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

mhc

Thanks for the compliments guys.
Sal is correct, the idea is a combination of Tom's idea for adapters to fit jigmaster bars on a 99 and Ron's (noyb72) idea to use spacers to widen the 501 stands with clamps to fit 60 & 85 size reels.
The 60 is an ideal size to test the concept - it is around 4.7mm wider than the 501, making 2mm thick adapters close to the right thickness for a combination of the existing spool and 501 frame parts. It could be done for many penn reels but would possibly involve custom width stand/spacer bars and/or custom width spools - depending on the reel and what you want to achieve.
Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

surfcaster

That is Nice Work, Those are tough little reels,I like the 60. I have  an old delmar 285 almost like a 60  kept in the back of my pickup.
   The seaboys are good reels too. Tight Lines,Richie

Tile

I like the modification. No more flex on this one :)
In solid fiberglass we trust