Shimano Stella 20000FA

Started by InVision, March 30, 2016, 02:00:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

InVision

Hi guys,

Let me first say that forum experts probably hate amateur people like me. BUT, I can tell you that amateurs like me very much appreciate your expert help!!

Background - I check in here from time to time mostly when I have a problem.  Well I noticed that the friction ring was broke up into pieces on my Stella 20000FA so I tore into the subject reel.  Well as my luck goes, I had all the reel parts laid out as they came off and the table got knocked over.  What a mess.  I moved to the dining room huge table, lesson learned.  Now I am having to try and figure out what goes where.  I have the parts breakout that came with the reel, but there are some parts that could be any of the few that are nearly the same.  To beat all %$%$^, I am missing one 8032 bearing, in the spill.  Wow are they proud of that little thing.

I cannot find a good write up or video on the exact model I have.  Similar Stella SW models I can find. 

Got several questions as I rebuild my old Stella 20000FA.

1) Clean bearings with solvent and lub with reel X.  Sound correct?
2) A dab of marine lithium blue grease on gears? Sound correct?  How about the worm shaft?
3) Most importantly, is there a site that shows actual photos of the Shimano RDxxxx parts?

Any help or advice would be appreciated.  I could not find anyone local who would work on the Stella.

M

PS - Why would Shimano make the anti reverse section so it fall apart in some many pieces when you remove it.  Gees, them little springs are awful. 

InVision

Wow ordered the RD8035 bearing a few days ago and guess what  !!!

Yep found the lost one.  Never hurts to have a spare or 2.

M

foakes

Hi M --

Glad to have you on board!

Post some pics when you get that 20000 together or if you get stuck -- let us know.

For what it is worth -- I would replace all 14 bearings in that reel, plus the ARB.

You will pay the same for shipping 1 or 15 bearings -- and will have the others for spares.

And as long as you have it apart, anyway.

Plus, that is a $1000 to $1300 reel depending on whether you buy it wholesale or retail -- why have to tear it down when another couple of bearings go bad -- and they will eventually.

Those bearings are around 8-10 bucks each -- depending on which ones they are -- so you might have $150 in new bearings -- but it will last through a lot more fishing trips with no bearing issues.

Just my opinion.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

johndtuttle

Quote from: InVision on March 30, 2016, 02:00:08 PM

Got several questions as I rebuild my old Stella 20000FA.

1) Clean bearings with solvent and lub with reel X.  Sound correct?
2) A dab of marine lithium blue grease on gears? Sound correct?  How about the worm shaft?
3) Most importantly, is there a site that shows actual photos of the Shimano RDxxxx parts?
4) Why would Shimano make the anti reverse section so it fall apart in some many pieces when you remove it.  Gees, them little springs are awful. 

1. Yes

2. Yes. Worm Shaft prefers a lighter grease. If your marine grease is very thick cut it with corrosion/reel-x.

3. Not that I know of.

4. Shimano Clutches are particularly good ones but are not intended to be opened pretty much ever, unless in an emergency. They can be cleaned without opening them by soaking them in a plastic safe solvent. If you do open it put back together dry.

Tutorial here: http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=15339.0

philaroman

johndtuttle

philaroman

BTW, that's my favorite, best-organized source for schematics/part PHOTOs & their prices are great...  but I never actually bought from them, so I can't vouch for their stocks or prompt shipping.

http://www.ereplacementparts.com/shimano-parts-c-200301.html

If they're not in the resource section of this Forum, please move this post -- it's not specific to InVision's question

InVision

Folks thank you very much.  I don't think I have any bad bearings.  All are silky smooth.  I priced the bearings and it was over two bills.  I actually found the ereplacements web site.  Some of the photos helped, some were blurred and some were missing.  Great price on friction washer so I will let you know if they deliver.  I order nearly a week ago.

Any help identifying this part?  I think it is a RD8327 Idle gear collar.  But which way does it go on shaft, it is beveled on one side.

It is getting a little scary when so many parts are "Obsolete".

Thanks,

M

InVision

Quote from: johndtuttle on March 30, 2016, 04:48:17 PM

4. Shimano Clutches are particularly good ones but are not intended to be opened pretty much ever, unless in an emergency. They can be cleaned without opening them by soaking them in a plastic safe solvent. If you do open it put back together dry.

Well this is not a sealed assembly.  It is just falls to pieces when you remove the pinion gear.

M

foakes

When parts are obsolete on a $1000 - $1300 reel, which is a fairly current model -- I have a problem with that.

A little history to recall --

Not too long ago, Shimano was possibly one of the best companies when it came to parts and customer service.

I do not know how many times a client came to me with a broken Shimano RD spinner, for example (I hate working on these Rear Drag Shimanos).

Instead of fixing it up for them -- I would just give them the address of Shimano, USA -- they would send in the reel for repair -- and either it would come back close to new -- or Shimano would just replace it with a brand new current model -- all at no charge.  Sometimes it didn't work out to be free -- but the labor and parts charge was very fair and low.  Same way at trade shows or Saturday morning seminars and reel clinics with the Shimano reps at shows or tackle shops.  Most of you guys remember this.

The word of mouth was powerful.

They also took very good care of their independent repair shops around the Country.

That is not the case anymore with consumers or dealers.

The new kid on the block is Okuma for customer service.  They are outstanding -- and have a solid array of quality products.

And one of the old kids is taking note of the right way to do business -- Penn is following the same model of excellence and listening.

Just my opinions.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

handi2

Quote from: InVision on March 30, 2016, 08:22:38 PM

Well this is not a sealed assembly.  It is just falls to pieces when you remove the pinion gear.

M

Yes it does fall apart. If your really lucky you can turn the reel upside down and remove it whole. Ive done them enough now that taking them apart and back in is normal procedure.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

InVision

Quote from: foakes on March 30, 2016, 10:09:18 PM

When parts are obsolete on a $1000 - $1300 reel, which is a fairly current model -- I have a problem with that.

A little history to recall --

Not too long ago, Shimano was possibly one of the best companies when it came to parts and customer service.

I do not know how many times a client came to me with a broken Shimano RD spinner, for example (I hate working on these Rear Drag Shimanos).

Instead of fixing it up for them -- I would just give them the address of Shimano, USA -- they would send in the reel for repair -- and either it would come back close to new -- or Shimano would just replace it with a brand new current model -- all at no charge.  Sometimes it didn't work out to be free -- but the labor and parts charge was very fair and low.  Same way at trade shows or Saturday morning seminars and reel clinics with the Shimano reps at shows or tackle shops.  Most of you guys remember this.

The word of mouth was powerful.

They also took very good care of their independent repair shops around the Country.

That is not the case anymore with consumers or dealers.

The new kid on the block is Okuma for customer service.  They are outstanding -- and have a solid array of quality products.

And one of the old kids is taking note of the right way to do business -- Penn is following the same model of excellence and listening.

Just my opinions.

Best,

Fred

Fred,  I appreciate your opinion on brands.  M

Ruffy

InVision, I prefer to pack all the bearings in my spinners with grease. They aren't critical to freespool as in a conventional and it doesn't make them much stiffer to crank at all but the corrosion resistance benefit of it is well worth it.

Cheers,
Andrew

johndtuttle

Quote from: InVision on March 30, 2016, 08:22:38 PM

M

Oh, my bad! Been awhile since I looked at a Stella FA. Glad to know they have improved them since.  ;D

swill88

Quote from: philaroman on March 30, 2016, 06:06:27 PM
BTW, that's my favorite, best-organized source for schematics/part PHOTOs & their prices are great...  but I never actually bought from them, so I can't vouch for their stocks or prompt shipping.

http://www.ereplacementparts.com/shimano-parts-c-200301.html

If they're not in the resource section of this Forum, please move this post -- it's not specific to InVision's question

I've bought many tool replacement parts from them for at least the last 8 years.  Good company, out of Utah.
The only problem sometimes is a part may have been out of stock and the whole order will get delayed. You just need to be proactive with them.

Steve