Started by sdlehr, April 07, 2016, 01:56:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdlehr

Post questions about this reel in this thread
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

basto

Hi Guys
Just getting acquainted with this reel. I did not know that there was a 97 and 98 Silver beach before I read Michael`s book.
I have bought a 99, but will not receive it for about 4 weeks. It has a plastic spool.
Looks like it has the same side plate size as a 1/0 Senator or 500 or 259, but has a 6 screw stand like a 3/0 Senator. I like that.
It has a picture tail plate and a rod clamp and a yellow swirl handle.
The photos were a bit dark, so I could`t see much detail, but am quite chuffed about getting one.
I will post some pics when it arrives.
cheers
Basto  
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

USN_ED

Looking forward to seeing the pics Basto.
ED

basto

Yes Ed, I`m looking forward to taking some.
Basto

mo65

Great score Basto! I bet we have been bidding against each other on 99s...ha! I'm searching for one too. I just can't decide whether I want to do a hotrod...or a nice stock example...can I just get two? ;) :D ;D 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Maxed Out

Keep an eye out and good deals can be had.

I watched a pure mint 99 sell for $30 just 2 weeks ago on the big auction site.  :o :o

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

mo65

Quote from: Maxed Out on October 10, 2016, 03:58:46 PM
  I watched a pure mint 99 sell for $30 just 2 weeks ago on the big auction site.  :o :o

Fiddlesticks...must have happened while I was trying to fashion an AR dog for that Bayhead! :D

thorhammer

Basto note that the 99 uses smaller gears than 500. I didn't know this until I tore down my first one a couple weeks ago and didn't the right drags to replace with.

John

The Great Maudu

This is my Silver Beach 97. Might not be a factory handle...

basto

Because the 99 uses the same quick takedown head plate as the 500, you can screw the 500 plate right onto the 99 for a higher gear ratio and bigger drags, with a narrower frame of the 99.
Can`t put the 500 tail plate on though, because of the different stand screw pattern.
I  remember Mr Tani telling us this years ago.
Basto

hurt locker

Quote from: basto on October 10, 2016, 09:16:43 PM
Because the 99 uses the same quick takedown head plate as the 500, you can screw the 500 plate right onto the 99 for a higher gear ratio and bigger drags, with a narrower frame of the 99.
Can`t put the 500 tail plate on though, because of the different stand screw pattern.
I  remember Mr Tani telling us this years ago.
Basto
Basto, I recently put a 99 Silverbeach right side onto a 501 frame and the lock screw hole did not line up. i had 2 choices... either re-drill the lock screw hole in the frame or extend the 3 slots to allow the small pins to rotate further in the frame. I chose the 2nd because I did not have the proper tap. Pennreely had the same problem in a earlier Silverbeach thread and he re-drilled . You can see the re-drill in one of his photos.

mo65

The reason they don't line up is each model has it's own handle side ring. This is why I chose the Surfmaster 250 for my project. Both it and the 501 Jigmaster use the #2-250 ring...where the 99 Sliver Beach uses a #2-99. >:(

basto

After reading that, I`m glad I will be keeping mine original. I have a 500, 501, 259, and 1/0 and they are all stock., but thanks for the posts guys. I`m learning all the time.
Basto

hurt locker

Quote from: mo65 on October 10, 2016, 11:15:00 PM
   The reason they don't line up is each model has it's own handle side ring. This is why I chose the Surfmaster 250 for my project. Both it and the 501 Jigmaster use the #2-250 ring...where the 99 Sliver Beach uses a #2-99. >:(

Mo, Thanks. Never thought to check that. I narrowed a 250 Last week and it all fit good.

basto

Quote from: The Great Maudu on October 10, 2016, 09:11:33 PM
This is my Silver Beach 97. Might not be a factory handle...

Hi Maudu
I think you might be right about the handle.