Senator 116A (10/0)

Started by sdlehr, April 07, 2016, 02:47:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Makule

Maybe more guts than brains, but I resemble that remark.

Quote from: Tightlines666 on July 11, 2016, 08:15:19 AM
Props to you on your molten metal experiment.  That takes some skills and a bit of guts.  Interested to hear how it turns out.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Makule

Yes, if you don't see it, that means it didn't happen.

Credit is good, but I'd rather have cash. ;D

Quote from: Alto Mare on July 11, 2016, 11:06:48 AM
Albert, I know that you're able to post pics, I need to see what you did.
If you don't show us, it didn't happen ;D.
Seriously, I give you lots of credit for attempting something as such.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Makule

The advice was that aluminium cans are produced with fairly low quality material, and that stronger alloys come from such things as engine blocks and transmission cases.  Consequently, a transmission case was used.  Kinda hard stuff compared to cans.

Quote from: TARFU on July 11, 2016, 04:48:17 PM
Albert, I'm sure we would like to hear/see the process, alloy, mould, etc....seems like enough aluminum cans and a lathe many things could be made......glad to hear no one was injured.....Bill

Bryan Young

Quote from: Makule on July 11, 2016, 05:47:57 PMMaybe more guts than brains, but I resemble that remark.

Reminds me of my Portuguese relatives.  That is a common saying in my family except it was always stated, "All guts, no brains."

Story 1:

My uncle's friend went fishing in a skiff off Saipan.  He didn't return, and a search party was sent out the next day.  My uncle and his friend were set on finding him and they took off in another skiff.  After a 2 hour ride, they found him drifting at sea.  They took his extra fuel on their skiff and towed him back to Saipan.  1) their buddy went fishing by himself in a skiff.  2) my uncle went out searching for him in another skiff in a huge ocean from a tiny island... and we are all still amazed that they found him.

Story 2:

My cousin, born and raised in Northern California.  Have never tried skiing ever until he was 22-24.  He went skiing with my sister and they immediately lost track of him.  Little did they know that he went all the way to the top to the double black diamond run.  They saw him fly by them at a high rate of speed a few times until they were all at the bottom of the hill at the same time.  Keep in mind, that was his first time skiing.  To me, that's all guts!!!  This all guts mentality lead him to training to be an Olympian competing in luge, and now an Olympic coach for the woman's bobsled team.

I guess the moral of these stories is sometimes our brains will limit us from the limitless...it's sometimes better to be all guts, no brains.   ;)

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

sdlehr

Quote from: Bryan Young on July 11, 2016, 06:33:10 PM
sometimes our brains will limit us from the limitless...it's sometimes better to be all guts, no brains.   ;)
How many times has someone told you, or you thought, "I can't do that"? And you don't try. Quite often. Sometimes they, or you, are right. Most of the time we miss out on something really great. The trick is to know when to listen and when not.... and before you ask, I haven't figured it out yet.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Makule

Yeah, "coulda, woulda, shoulda" are the three most regrettable words in life.

Try and fail, and you know it doesn't work.  Don't try and you'll never know.  Of course, you might get your arse kicked while trying, but what's life without some of that?

Quote from: sdlehr on July 11, 2016, 08:51:06 PM
Quote from: Bryan Young on July 11, 2016, 06:33:10 PM
sometimes our brains will limit us from the limitless...it's sometimes better to be all guts, no brains.   ;)
How many times has someone told you, or you thought, "I can't do that"? And you don't try. Quite often. Sometimes they, or you, are right. Most of the time we miss out on something really great. The trick is to know when to listen and when not.... and before you ask, I haven't figured it out yet.

Sid

Makule

The casting cooled and I got it out.  Didn't use de-gassing agent so it looks like lots of air holes.  Here's the raw pour and the first few cuts.  If there are holes as I cut more off, I'll do it again (differently).

mhc

Great experiment, can't wait to see how it turns out.
Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

handi2

I have a 12/0 that has a chromed spool that is shaped like the aluminum spool. How rare is that?
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Shark Hunter

They are harder to find. I have a pair. ;)

Life is Good!

Makule

Cutting was proceeding as expected until there were a few "bumps".  Turned out those "bumps" appear to be steel occlusions in the aluminium.  Suspect pieces of steel from the transmission case.  If they are shallow, I can finish, but if they are too deep, that's the end of it.  Back to recasting.  If so, was still a good learning experience and I'll do a few things differently on the next attempt.

Alto Mare

Albert, I'm for exploring and you are giving it a good effort, but that just seems like a lot of work. How about cutting a 29-116L in half and make it a narrow? You will still need to make the new spool shaft.
At $75 it doesn't hurt too bad if it fails.
Just a thought, but I already know your answer ;D.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Makule

That's a great idea.  Never thought of that.  Thank you.

So, my answer is:  Do you have a 12/0 spool, preferably aluminum?

Quote from: Alto Mare on July 13, 2016, 01:43:53 AM
Albert, I'm for exploring and you are giving it a good effort, but that just seems like a lot of work. How about cutting a 29-116L in half and make it a narrow? You will still need to make the new spool shaft.
At $75 it doesn't hurt too bad if it fails.
Just a thought, but I already know your answer ;D.

Alto Mare

Not the answer I was expecting :). No I do not have one, I have wasted a couple by experimenting though. Be cautious, it gets expensive quickly.
I've asked Penn 3 years ago to make us the aluminum spool for the 116A, they had no interest.
I also asked Alan Chui two years ago and he said he would see what he could do, but didn't promise anything.
Alan has my plates as well, we were discussing a new spool frame and plates.
if I remember correctly, the frame was going to be narrower than the 116A.
Alan has a lot on his plate at the moment, so I'm not sure this will happen any time soon.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Makule

You have convinced me to thrash my project in lieu of redoing a 12/0 spool.  If you still have the "wasted" spools, maybe I can salvage them.  Otherwise, I'll see about getting a 12/0 spool on fleabay.

Quote from: Alto Mare on July 13, 2016, 02:31:50 AM
Not the answer I was expecting :). No I do not have one, I have wasted a couple by experimenting though. Be cautious, it gets expensive quickly.
I've asked Penn 3 years ago to make us the aluminum spool for the 116A, they had no interest.
I also asked Alan Chui two years ago and he said he would see what he could do, but didn't promise anything.
Alan has my plates as well, we were discussing a new spool frame and plates.
if I remember correctly, the frame was going to be narrower than the 116A.
Alan has a lot on his plate at the moment, so I'm not sure this will happen any time soon.