Senator 116A (10/0)

Started by sdlehr, April 07, 2016, 02:47:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdlehr

Post questions about this reel in this thread
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Makule

The original 10/0 came with the 3-piece spool, and then it seems the one-piece cast bronze spool.  Was there ever an aluminum spool model?
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Shark Hunter

Not to my knowledge Albert.
Life is Good!

mizmo67

Pretty sure it was discontinued before they started making the aluminum spools?
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com

Alto Mare

Quote from: mizmo67 on June 24, 2016, 01:49:39 PM
Pretty sure it was discontinued before they started making the aluminum spools?
I believe you a correct Mo. I don't see why they can make the 116 and not the 116A spool when it could be shared by both reels.
I asked Penn 3 years ago if they would consider making the  standard 3 1/4" aluminum spool and a 2 1/4" in width for that same reel, they told me there wouldn't be much interest.

Alan Chui has one of my 10/0 for a year now, he said he will try and see what he could do, but didn't promise anything.
He's trying to get the plates done and maybe the spool as well...we'll see.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

sharkman

Are the drag ratings the same on 10/0 as 12/0

Makule

No difference in the "internals" between 12/0 and 10/0.  Posts, seat, spool, and logo on side plate were the differences that I knew of.

Was thinking of casting and cutting an aluminum spool for the 10/0, but thought it Penn made it I would save myself the trouble.  Not difficult, but time consuming.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Penn Chronology

Interesting question! The last year for the 10/0 was 1988. In 1988 the standard 9/0 Senator115L with the Aluminum spool was in the catalog. It was the only standard Senator in 1988 with an aluminum spool. In 1989, the 10/0 was no longer in the catalog, so there was no reason for Penn to make an aluminum spool for a reel that was no longer being offered by the company. But in 1989,,,,, the 9/0 was still the only standard Senator reel with a aluminum spool. The year of 1990 was the dramatic change. The 16/0 was gone, the 10/0 was still gone and the 14/0 and 12/0, along with the 9/0 were introduced with the aluminum spools. 1990 marks the end of the traditional Senators in their old "Jaws" size offerings.

Penn Chronology

QuoteNo difference in the "internals" between 12/0 and 10/0.  Posts, seat, spool, and logo on side plate were the differences that I knew of.

Another interesting observation about the 10/0. The 10/0 is a hybrid model. It was created by matching the width of a 9/0 with the diameter of a 12/0. That is why the odd 116A model number. The 10/0 was an after-thought!

Alto Mare

It would still be nice to have a narrow, a standard and wide spool for these beauties, a tall spool with low gear ratio is a good thing in most cases.
I understand that they were no longer in production in the late 80's, but many were made and they're still out there, I have a half dozen or so myself.
The 116 is still in production, that reel is the same reel.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Makule

If you look at the Senators, you will find that the line capacities are the two previous sizes makes the next size.  For example, 4/0 + 6/0 = 9/0.  Also, 10/0 width is the same as the 9/0, 14/0 is same as 12/0.

Quote from: Penn Chronology on June 24, 2016, 09:35:09 PM
Another interesting observation about the 10/0. The 10/0 is a hybrid model. It was created by matching the width of a 9/0 with the diameter of a 12/0. That is why the odd 116A model number. The 10/0 was an after-thought!

Makule

Since my 10/0 spool is warped, and I can't find a replacement for a reasonable cost, I thought I'd try making one out of aluminum.  Did a casting last week, and made a very bad decision by dunking the hot cast in cold water.  Aluminum shrank, water infiltrated, and steam explosion forced molten aluminum out from the interior.  I also managed to set a few things on fire in the process (wife was not happy even though it was all my stuff and outside.....and I don't blame her).

Tried the casting again today, no fires (wife was playing "fireman"), and am in the process of letting it cool to ambient overnight.  We'll see if I can remove it from the steel mold I used.  If it doesn't fall out, I'll remelt in that mold and cast in sand.

Not as if I have nothing else to do, so this is just an experiment and definitely a "one-of" type of thing.

I did cut an aluminum spool for a Templar 1419 3/4 many years ago, so I know it can be done.  Takes a lot of time and, since the 10/0 is much larger, with take much more time.

It's entirely possible that I might just crap out and decide to get a cheap aluminum spool 12/0.  That's kinda no fun, however.

Tightlines667

Props to you on your molten metal experiment.  That takes some skills and a bit of guts.  Interested to hear how it turns out.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Alto Mare

Albert, I know that you're able to post pics, I need to see what you did.
If you don't show us, it didn't happen ;D.
Seriously, I give you lots of credit for attempting something as such.

Bill B

Albert, I'm sure we would like to hear/see the process, alloy, mould, etc....seems like enough aluminum cans and a lathe many things could be made......glad to hear no one was injured.....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!